• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5PRC Custom in Long Action for future 300PRC

shax2lex

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Columbia, SC
I am thinking about getting a 6.5PRC to put more energy on animals father away. I eventually want to get a 300PRC to shoot elk. It seems to me that if I get a 6.5PRC in a Long action instead of a modified short action, then I could just simply rebarrel the rifle and move on as a cost effective option. I know the bolt pull will be longer and mags will be longer. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance.

I’m not at all averse to the 300 PRC, but based on the energy figures the 6.5prc will have plenty of energy for elk out to 500 or even 700 yds, and have very manageable recoil relative to the bigger magnums. Just sayin.

If you want options sure you can do that, but I would tend to suggest at least having a short action as an option. The long action is longer and heavier and you can do things like saum or Sherman short for elk if you want. I am sure the 6.5 prc would work fine for elk at reasonable distances as well. If you already have a different short action that’s not a bad plan...I also am planning a 300 prc or Sherman version. Short action will have more magazine options etc if you want to shoot more for fun than hunting etc.

Reactions: Newbie2020