• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 6.5WSM rechamber advice needed

vagrouser

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2013
WY
I just purchased this 6.5WSM http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/showthread.php?t=166586 built on a Remington XR100 single shot action. I'm excited to play around with this caliber, but I also am thinking about turning it into a 6.5 Creedmore and want to see if my understanding of what this would entail is correct...

The rifle comes with a coned PTG 0.550" bolt face-->would need to order a new PTG bolt with standard 0.484" BF and have it fit to the action.

I would also need to have the barrel set back and rechambered for the 6.5 Creedmore. If I get another coned bolt, I understand that the barrel breech would have to be machined to mate with the coned nose? I'm not sure of the contour on the existing barrel but it looks like there is minimal taper toward the breech end so I'm guessing it could be set back without leaving a big gap in the stock inletting or leaving the chamber walls too thin. Plus, it is a whopping 33" long and the the flutes don't start until farther down the barrel body so I don't think this would cause a problem...

Does this sound about right? I know that the 6.5WSM is a screamer, but they burn barrels. Another motivation to go to the 6.5CM is the ability to buy pretty cheap, good Hornady factory ammo. I intend to use this rifle for long range varmint and antelope hunting in WY so it may also be nice to lop a couple/few inches off the barrel to make it a bit lighter.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.

Thanks

65-3_zpsc5ed158f.jpgIMG953123.jpgIMG958912.jpg