• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x284 Load Questions

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I decided to build a gun in 6.5x284. It is at GAP right now getting built. The rifle has 1-8.75 rifling.

I believe the 140 gr Berger Hybrid is the highest BC bullet available that will stabilize in this twist. Is there another bullet I should be looking at?

How finicky is this bullet to find a good load for?

I believe I will start my load development using Retumbo. My understanding is that because it is a slower powder barrel life should be longer. This rifle has a 27" barrel.

Thanks for the help on this.

Last edited:
I’ve run a few barrels out with this caliber with the exception that they were 1/8 twist. I’ve used the 140 hybrids exclusively and they seem pretty forgiving to jump. Both my current rifles are running.060” jump. In the last couple years I’ve switched over to Reloder-26 in the 6.5x284s and my 6mm Creedmoor. Have fun! Love this caliber!

Brent from Montana

My 6.5x284 load is a 140gr Berger VLD over 57.1gr H1000 in Lapua brass with CCI LRM primers. 3080fps and shoots lights out. This was one of my easiest load workups ever. It pretty much shot everything well. The hybrid should be even more forgiving.

Try 140 gr Berger Elite Hunters high BC shoots fantastic with 55 gr,s H1000 .030 off the lands. 2900fps