• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5x284

camelback

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2006
ky
What is the difference between the 6.5 X 284 Norma and 6.5 X 284? Am I wrong or are they one and the same. Also, if I have a barrel chambered in that caliber do I need to tell the gunsmith the difference if there is one. Any help would be great.

Re: 6.5x284

QUOTE "Ironically, the .284 calls for a free-bored throat, meaning the rifling begins father down the throat than in a non-freebored chamber. This allows handloaded .284 rounds that are intended to be loaded singly to be seated without impinging on the powder space. However, when Norma standardized the 6.5mm-284 with an overall length of over 3 inches, they insured that 6.5mm-284 rifles would handle long cartridges in both the chamber and the magazine. Conversely, a short-action 6.5mm-284 is not possible and a .284 Winchester can be much lighter, pointing out the specialized nature of these otherwise very similar cartridges."

Wouldn't bet my life on it but I copied this off the Norma description so I would say they are the same.

A 6.5-284 Norma chamber is reamed for use with Norma brass(Close tolerances) and will shoot the standard 6.5-284 cartridge, which is 284 Win brass necked down. In other words Yes...

The only difference between the 6.5x284 Norma and the
6.5x284 Winchester in the COAL. Nothing more.

The Norma seats bullets out longer.

You can use Norma brass or 284 brass for either one.

The Norma brass is actually .004" larger near the web than the Winchester brass. The Norma measures .500 and the Winchester is .496". The only problem other than seating length is if your smith had a match reamer based off the Winchester brass.