• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6.5x47 and 140gr bullets

Siso

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2002
WI
I would like to get 140gr 6.5mm bullets going around 2800 - 2850fps. I’ve read that for the 6.5x47 Lapua, bullets less then 140grs is a better choice. However I still see people shooting the 6.5x47 with 140gr bullets around .260 speeds. I think that I have the Zak Smith 6.5mm shoot out article memorized by now! So what am I not understanding? Should I stick with a .260 to be on the safe side?

Re: 6.5x47 and 140gr bullets

Casey what kind of ES are you getting?

Casey I don't think that 18 - 20fps ES is THAT bad. Any ways I decided to get a 6.5x47 today. If the 140's don't work I can always use the 130 VLDs. But with RE 17, it sounds like it might make my goal a little easier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@18-20, not acceptable. </div></div>

What chronograph are you using to determine this number?

Are you shooting 1000yd Benchrest?

JB

Ever since I read Glenn Zediker's book on Handloading and learned more about handloading from WrRoscoe and Weda, my velocities have gotten into single digits. I spend alot of time on my necks and keep neck tension low and try different brand primers. Reading Darrel Jones' work up on the 47 lapua on 6mmbr.com helped much too.
The chronograph is a Shooting Chrony.

130 Bergers 10,oooths into the lands, 36.3 grains RL15 = .168!

123 Scenars shoot good too, and I'm told SMK 123 and 142 outshoots the shooter.

139 Scenar over 43 grains of Ramshot Hunter, CCI 450 primer, loaded on my Dillon 550. 2860 out of my 25" Lija 3 groove, 2840 out of my daughters 25.5" Rock. 1/2 MOA + - out to 1245 yards.

one thing you fella's need to rember when reading these tests and posts written is that different makes of barrels, twist rates and lengths of barrels, not to mention rifleing methods or internal barrel dimensions are being compared.

I've got some Rock barrels that were the same (as close as can be) internal dimensions, they are fit and chambered and cut to the same length. One in .260 for a friend and one in 6.5X47 for myself. As we test these barrels, we have a verry accurate comparison of the two. Same temp, same day, same chrono and lighting conditions.... I realize no two barrels are identical but at least we are as close as possiable, and all factors are kept as close as possiable.

One thing that is different is the free bore on the reamer, the .260 is maxed out to fit mag length and get the bullets within a reasonable distance of the lands. With the 6.5X47 we can cut a longer free bore and get the bullets out where they belong in the case, have a reasonable distance to the lands, still be well within mag length, and have a gentler pressure curve.

With the .260 H4350 seams to be THE powder for the case and the 139-142 bullets. RL 17 does well, but the H4350 gives best results. In the 6.5X47 Lapua, RL17 seams to be THE powder for it.

Chose whichever you wish, it doesn't matter how fast the bullet is going when it misses or what chambering it came from, it's all up to the driver. Worry about driveing before which chambering is advantagious.

that's why my match gun is chambered in the Swede....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ever since I read Glenn Zediker's book on Handloading and learned more about handloading from WrRoscoe and Weda, my velocities have gotten into single digits. I spend alot of time on my necks and keep neck tension low and try different brand primers. Reading Darrel Jones' work up on the 47 lapua on 6mmbr.com helped much too.
The chronograph is a Shooting Chrony.

130 Bergers 10,oooths into the lands, 36.3 grains RL15 = .168!

123 Scenars shoot good too, and I'm told SMK 123 and 142 outshoots the shooter. </div></div>

Ahhh... SO to the point I was getting at... With a shooting chrony your error is +-0.5% IIRC, so that is +-15fps at 3000fps. So your 18-20fps spread numbers from the Chrony are nearly useless.

Also, How many shots made up your single-digit ES?

Put it on paper at longer range and report back with the vertical measurement. That will tell you the real status of your velocity spread.

I had a Shooting Chrony running simultaneously with my Oehler 35...it was eye opening...one shot read like 130fps lower on the chrony. How bout that spread! (but the Oehler read right in the norm...guess which one was right.

My point in all this is that ES doesn't mean anything with some chronos...put it on paper.

Also, 1 group at 100yds doesn't really tell you anything about long-range robustness either.

Additionally, light neck tension can make things more sensitive. You really need to be on top of things with light neck tension. 1.5thou seems to work good for all I have tried it on...I used to run 0.0005" tension...

As far as the bullets out-shooting the shooter, I'd venture a bet that that is true with ALL match bullets not shot off of BR rests. Meaning if you are NOT shooting them from BR rests, match bullets will always out-shoot you.

YMMV,
JB

FN - Like wi50 said, because we can seat heavy bullets out there they are supposed to be and still fit it in a short (2.85") Rem magazine...Or AICS mag
wink.gif

JB

JB: Here is your "report back".
Yes, rounds across the Chronograph were also groups on paper at 200yards having little verticle spread. Moreover, I've had ES on the chrony under 10, and that load eats up a 3" aiming circle at 1000yards (here is the longer distance you suggested).
My neck tension of 2,000ths works well in my rifle; the "=.168" meant the rifle shoots 200 yard groups measuring .168MOA; so it was not only one group at 100 yards (do you have too much idle time?).

Casey,
It sounds like you read a lot and thats fine but JB is trying to tell you thats not what you might find in real world results.

Most guys do their long range testing at 400yds or so. This is where you will start to see how consistant your load is. I have had loads that shot well at 100 and even 200 really open up at long range. Some of my worst cronograph readings shot the best groups at 100yds. So shooting at 100yds doesn't really tell you much.

Your claiming .168" MOA at 200yds and thats some damn fine shooting but will it do it all the time?? You also say your eating up a 3" circle at 1000yds??? Your either a world class shooter who should be shooting comps or I have to throw the "BS flag on that.

I might buy the .168 moa at 200 because we all get lucky once in awhile but shooting out a 3" paster at 1000yds, I don't think so.

Guess you had to be there. You might like to know Summer evenings here are still, and that day was after a rain and while very calm around dusk. Maybe you're used to shooting in the wind so much?
You're right; I read alot. Tubb, Zediker, et al. I'm 45 and began shooting at 10 in the country on the farm. I also took some pointers from Col. Lones Wigger as a kid while shooting with him at a Metallic Silhoutte match, and Col. Charles Askins at his home in San Antonio when I was 17 shooting his S&W Mod. 52. We just shoot alot down here, that's all. Our guns, that is.
You're right; .168 is some damned fine shooting. I'm a damned fine shooter. Won a few, lost a few.
I'm also a damned fine handloader. Doing it since I was 15 on a dual ram Herters press and a .30-30 rifle.
All this happend in the real world, I think, unless the event was surreal, which it was.
I'm not the only one shooting out 3" pasters. One shooting buddy, who set a Texas F-Class record, did it too while I was in the pit.
The trouble here might be you guys are simply not used to this kind of marksmanship, or you're shooting in the wind as I wrote above, or something else is going on like too much internet shooting, or it might be that those suspecting dishonety are themselves dishonest?
Last, I do shoot comps, sir. And if you want a spankin', maybe a few of us Louisiana boys can put one on ya sometime. Recall, this is the land of Jim Clark, Terry Cross, and Jerry Miculek. So watch out partner. You just might get a whippin' down here.
Some guys just want to argue. How bout shooting?

Wow...30 years and you still can't relay it correctly: That is: 0.002" neck tension," not 2,000ths Hah!
grin.gif
(that was a joke)

Actually I asked for the vertical measurement on your groups at long range...

Again, your "ES under 10 on the chrony" still means nothing. Those numbers aren't real.

Idle time? hah! I wish I had some of that!

Personally I rarely shoot at 100 except to zero things. For a 1000yard load I like to see what the vertical looks like at 500-1000. I haven't been fortunate enough to find much calm to shoot in lately.

My whole point of my posts in all of this was to get at what you really meant by your post:

"@18-20, not acceptable."

and to point out that those numbers mean nothing without the right tool to do the measuring.

Also to offer an alternative to buying a PVM-21 chrono or setting up an Oehler with 20' screen spacing to get meaningful resolution: i.e. put it on paper at long range instead.

FYI - I am not arguing with anyone, I am stating facts. IF you take offense to that, then I can't help you with that.

YMMV,
JB

Yes, I should have expressed the neck tension as .002". I see your point. Thank you.

I am not getting into a mine is bigger than yours contest. I do shoot a lot and I have shot against Jim Clark (D&L Shoot in Wyoming) an I have shot against Terry (Sniper Quest in Okl.) They are both very good shots and fine people in my book.

What I was calling the bullshit on was you throwing around .168 groups at 200yds and 3" groups at 1000yds like its something you do all the time day in an day out.

I have a friend who carries around a near one hole group he shot with his AR an tells everyone thats how the gun shoots. When in reality its about a .6 rifle but it did shoot the group "ONCE".

You may be shooting 3 shot groups and thats fine too. Thats still damn fine shooting!!! But when you say your "Eating up a 3" paster at 1000yds that tells me its more than 3 shots and if thats the case then you need to be shooting some F class shoots so you can be in the record books. Or come out here to South Dakota where a calm day is a 10 to 15 mph wind and see what you do at 1000yds.

If you are shootig that well day in an day out you have my up most admiration because I have been shooting for over 50years and I have not seen it done consistantly.

I'll back Casey up on this one since he has bettered me in several local matches. He shoots like he claims consistently and by that I mean very frequently. He's one of those guys that is always there when you go to the range.

Like I said if he is tearing up a 3" paster at 1000yds consistantaly he has my up most admiration and needs to set some records.

I shot a 3.5" 3 shot group at 1000yds the other day checking the data on my 6.5x55 and I was happy as a clam. I then shot a 5 shot group that had 3 of them in a 2.2" group with the 4th about 1.5"s to the right making it just over a 4" group for four shots and the 5th was about 3+ inches to the right making it about an 8" 5 shot group but I still was happy with it since I shot it in a 7mph cross wind.

Now can I do this everytime I go out and shoot?? Hell no I can't. Not in the conditions we have here and even if the conditions were perfect I doubt I could or my rifle could average under.3 MOA at 1000yds which is what a 3" paster would be.

flyers work both ways, and the honest fella's realize that. Yeah I've had some good long range groups, shot some pretty bad ones with the same setup also.

Groups don't mean shit in my book, read the mirage, wind and other conditions, that tells the story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wi50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">flyers work both ways, and the honest fella's realize that. Yeah I've had some good long range groups, shot some pretty bad ones with the same setup also.

Groups don't mean shit in my book, read the mirage, wind and other conditions, that tells the story. </div></div>

Wi - if the gun can't shoot a good group in good conditions, then you are wasting your time reading conditions and testing your abilities. You won't know whether it is the rifle's lack of precision or a bad driver that boned the shot.

Kind of goes back to the tool needing proper resolution/precision to do any good.

Along this line (precision), Siso (original poster), do you think you can shoot good enough to benefit from 50fps?

260 is cheaper to shoot, just cramped in a short action and lesser quality brass.

6.5x47 costs more to shoot at first, and but fits nicely in a short action magazine with long bullets seated out where they belong.

I personally like the 6.5x47 (for my purposes). But that may not fit everyone's purposes...

JB

p.s. - a 260 with a slow barrel could easily be passed in velocity by a 6.5x47 with a fast barrel...another wrench in the works...

JB thanks for your help. The way I look at wind drift is this... If I miss a wind call by 5mph with a cross wind, the bullet traveling 50fps faster would drift about .75" less at 1000yds. So no I don't think that I would be able to see a difference, and thats one of the reasons I went with a 6.5x47.

IMHO each cal has a best weight bullet for case,
308 the 155 scenar is perfect.
6.5x47 130gr bullet is perfect, again just my thoughts
130JLK,norma or berger will do everything thing ya want.
Current load 42.3 h4350 OAL 2.800 .010 jam 2975fps ++, still tweaking it so may not be final load pending testing

JB,
DO you have a 6.5x47?? My 260 is going over 2200rds now and I am trying to decide what to do when I get ready to rebarrel. I had it set back at just over 1800 trying to streach the barrel life.

I love the 260 and I think its the perfect case for the 123 class bullets. I really looked hard at the 6.5x47 but just don't like having less case cap. I also am looking at the 6.5creedmore that Hornady has come out with.

I have had such good luck with the 260s it will be hard to drop it esp since I started shooting the 123s. I now only shoot the 139s in my 6.5x55. I belive thats the ideal case for the bigger bullet.

I have a load that is mild for the 6.5x55 but is still hotter than my 260 load was with the 139s. I can also push it up to within a .5moa of my 6.5x284 data out to 1000yds.

Raptor, since you like the 260, stay with it? One issue with it for a shooting buddy though was running out of mag length. We don't have that problem with the Lapua round. But shouldn't your 260 run 5k rds?

jb, I think you may have missed part of my point, or overlooked a few of your own points stated in the past few pages.

A good rifle with good bullets will alwayse outshoot the driver. When it shoots well, worry about other things. I can shoot a 1/8 moa rifle into 3/4 moa just like everyone else in good conditions, I can't shoot it into 1/4 moa unless I'm lucky, though it can, I can't. I certainly can't tear up a 3" spotter at 1K and I doubt most will. Been to a lot of matches, seen some records shot, shot with some top name shooters and none can shoot as well as this fellow who's "tearing it up" on the internet.

Siso, I think you are on the right track, we're alwayse building something here or shooting when there's spare time. I've got 600 and 1000yd ranges set up if you wish to practice.

Casey,
When I was shooting comps I never got that great of barrel life out of mine. Most of my barrels were toast by 2500rds or so. Some of the matches we shot were man on man shoots and were brutal on barrels. Many times they would get so hot you could not touch them. My last barrel was black for 8" up from the throat and looked like a dried up lake bed.

My 6.5s always liked the AMAX bullets and when I had my current 260 rebarreled I would get vertical stringing if I loaded them mag length. If I loaded them out to touch the rifling then it would shoot fine. However if you couldn't load them mag length then the rifle wasn't much use to me.

I finally had to go to the 140MK to get it to shoot at mag length an it shot great. When I had the barrel set back I decided to try the 123s. I just loaded them to mag length and shot them. They were outstanding for accuracy and it was like shooting a 6.5x284 again. They didn't seem to mind the jump like the AMAXs or the 142s. I just wish they made good brass for the 260s. I get tired of turning necks when necking down 308 Lapua brass. The Lapua brass has always shot better in my rifles than the match preped Remington brass.

Raptor99: yes, but only have about 800 or so rds thru it so far. 2 x Allegheny Sniper Challenges and the rest for play.

CrumpMD on here has put the rounds to his, check with him on his throat life so far. (I think he shoots a hot moly load)

I run the 123scenar at ~2975 with a bit over 38gns of R15.

Wi50:
Yea, I wish my 6BR 1000yd BR rifle could tear up a 3" bull too...guess I'll have to settle for all those 4-5" 10-shot groups that weren't quite in the middle
grin.gif

I guess my prior statement needed a caveat added:

As far as the bullets out-shooting the shooter, I'd venture a bet that that is true with ALL match bullets not shot off of BR rests. Meaning if you are NOT shooting them from BR rests, match bullets will always out-shoot you. **given that the load is correctly tuned for the rifle

One still needs to find the right powder charge that will eliminate as much vertical as possible.

Siso - sounds like you thought thru it well.

JB

Wi50 thanks for the offer, if I'm ever over that way I'll let you know. I shoot near Madison and have 1200yds available. If you are ever down that way let me know.

JB it sounds like I'll be using the same reamer as you.

I know that in field conditions it would be very difficult to tell the difference between a .260 and a 6.5x47. However having a rifle built is a lot of money for me, so I need to make sure that everything is squared away in my head.

Besides I shoot a .308 with 175 SMKs, so any 6.5 will probably seem like a laser beam to me!

What twist tubes and what weight bullets are you guys running with your 6.5x47s? I've got a 8.2 twist on its way and need to start stockpiling.

I go with 8.5 twist barrels, that will spin the 142's just fine and works verry well with the 130 Bergers. A good all purpose twist rate for the chambering. All things equill a slower twist barrel will give higher velocity. I run a .109 free bore on the 6.5X47 Lapua reamer,

Sounds like my 8.2 should do the trick with a decent variety of pills.

Some of the guys over at 6mmbr are getting over 2950fps with RL-17 and the 140s in the 6.5x47. Curious what that powder does in a 260R or a 6.5-284 now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What twist tubes and what weight bullets are you guys running with your 6.5x47s? I've got a 8.2 twist on its way and need to start stockpiling.</div></div>

I have an 8 twist Rock and planned on shooting 130 Bergers. I made the mistake of shooting 123 Scenars first; they shoot so well that I have yet to make myself load up any of the 130s. The only problem was finding a load. Every load tried has shot pretty darn good.

I settled on the 123 doing about 2910 fps. It is scary accurate in my rifle. I would say HOW accurate, but someone might raise the BS flag.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is scary accurate in my rifle. I would say HOW accurate, but someone might raise the BS flag.
grin.gif
</div></div>

I'll vouch for you, I think I've seen that rifle once or twice
wink.gif

jb1000br, been reading your comments on 18-20 ES being not acceptable. I 100% agree with you. I had a shooting chrony. Just sold a pact pro. Now have a Oheler 35P because of this. Don't get me wrong, they are all good tools, some are better than others. You have to know their limits and don't get to caught up in the numbers. The real story is on the target.

Matchking...your smiley targets back up that as well
smile.gif

8.5 twist Krieger here...it is a retired 1000yd BR barrel from my old 6.5-284.

Montana, yep, the 35P gets us closer (that is what I use...with a 4' rail), but it still probably isn't precise enough to call "teen" ES's

JB

JB

How far are you jamming the 123 Lapuas into the lands? I'm still working on THE load for my 6.5X47 but haven't played much with seating depth.

Thanks

Actually that is my only rifle that is not in the lands. I started 10thou OFF the lands and stayed there.

JB

Matchking, just how accurate is your rifle? The day we were getting our dope soon after Roscoe finished the build, I saw you shoot up an X ring at 1,000 yard while in the pit running your target at Long Range Alley before the TacPro match!

I wouldn't say teens with ES eaither. I use 8' when I can. It always reads within 2 fps on both readings. That does give me much more confidence in the 35P.
Sorry everyone, now back to our regularly schedualed broadcast...

Sorry for a slight hijack but I need an assist so i can have as much gear ready as possible when my new rifles arrive. I do not have brass, bullets or dies yet, so I can't load a round and measure.

With Redding dies and Lapua brass, what size bushings are you guys using for the 6.5x47?

Also, JB---same question for the 6 BR.

TIA.

I am shooting the 139 moly scenar at 2840fps using RL-15 powder at COAL 2.70" which is just off the lands for a short jump. The scalpel has right at a 1000 rounds through it and is still holding very tight and no visible signs of throat erosion in the Kreiger 8.5 twist.

I backed off the load from 2900fps because of cratering of the primer and other pressure signs. 37.0 grains of RL-15 is what I am using now. It performs real well at 3 and 600 yards and the two times I shot out to 1000 yards has been in the x when I was not jerking the trigger too bad.

I evaluated the 123 and the 139 and ended up choosing the 139 because of the overall performance with RL-15 powder. Also the 139gr is the 9 gram weight the sweedes chose for the 6.5X55 as the best weight bullet for that rifle.

I am using a .289 bushing.

Check out this thread for some load development history.

Scout, TiNit .268 for the 6BR with Lapua brass. Comes out dead on .2680 after a slight brush over a carbide expander ball (I will always use expander balls on unturned necks) This gives 1.5 thou neck tension.

For the 6.5x47 I had Forster ream their FL die to .2865" With their expander ball in use I get 1.5 thou neck tension there as well.

I am leaning more towards NON-bushing dies lately...

JB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Matchking, just how accurate is your rifle? </div></div>

More accurate than I am. It makes ME look like I can shoot on occasion!

Like Crump, I am also using a .289 bushing.