• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5X47 Lapua and cold weather

sjm229

Minuteman
Aug 31, 2009
Montana
I'm in the process of putting together 6.5 build and have come to the point where I have to make a decision on the chambering. I initially planned on doing a 6.5x47 Lapua but am now considering a .260 rem. My concern with the 6.5 Lapua is the small rifle primer and consistent ignition in cold weather. I'm specifically interested in hearing from members with real world experience with the 6.5x47L and if they've had any problems in cold temps.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Re: 6.5X47 Lapua and cold weather

Hi Scott,

I'm doing something similar myself, but I wanted the 6.5x47L <span style="font-style: italic">BECAUSE</span> of the small rifle primer. I may be misinformed here, but I thought that Lapua make the x47 with the small rifle primer, but other manufacturers produce it with LR primers.
Check out these links, might help in your thinking process;

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1323043#Post1323043

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=789074#Post789074

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=818570#Post818570

http://www.6mmhot.com/6.html

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=761416#Post761416

I hope this helps and doesn't muddy the waters too much.

Keep me informed. You can pm me so we can compare notes.

I decided to build both a .260Rem and a 6.5x47Lap!!

Neil

6.5 creedmoor, I've shot in all conditions and its performed flawlessly

sjm229,

I've never had ignition problems with my 6x47L.I think the PPC sized flash hole concentrates the flame for better ignition.I have used regular small rifle primers with no problems but I use CCI 450 Magnum small rifle primers for the thick cups and extra blast.

The 6.5x47L brass is the strongest brass on the market and very high quality,IMO.I've never even lost a primer and I've shot some 105's up to 3345 fps before as a test!

Oh...I live at 7000 feet and shoot all winter.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5 creedmoor, I've shot in all conditions and its performed flawlessly </div></div>

Oh yeah, I meant to mention that one as well. Just to muddy the waters even more...... Hehehehehe.

Neil

My Creedmoor brass has several firings on it and it's still GTG

I did my load development on my 6.5x47L when it was below freezing out and snow on the ground. I can't remember my loads off the top of my head, but I used RL15 powder. My optimal load for 123gr SMK's was going about 2920 fps (Elevation was 800ft). When I loaded that same load and went shooting in the summer (Mid 90's out.)in eastern washington I chronoed it at 3010fps. (Elevation 3600ft)

I've always wanted a good explanation of why that happened. What was responsible for the increase in FPS? Elevation or temperature?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Hunter223 - I've looked at the Creedmor but my smith already has reamers for the Lapua and .260 so.......

Steve123 - The Lapua brass is a big plus for the 6.5x47 option. Of course .260 brass is available for the .260 now from both Norma and Nosler so.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What was responsible for the increase in FPS? Elevation or temperature?</div></div>
I would say temp. When combined with RL15, large velocity swings occur with major temp variations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paduan Learner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5 creedmoor, I've shot in all conditions and its performed flawlessly </div></div>

Oh yeah, I meant to mention that one as well. Just to muddy the waters even more...... Hehehehehe.

Neil </div></div>

What advantage does the 6.5 creedmoor have over the .260 rem?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sl78928</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paduan Learner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5 creedmoor, I've shot in all conditions and its performed flawlessly </div></div>

Neil </div></div>

What advantage does the 6.5 creedmoor have over the .260 rem? </div></div>

Just that Hornady sells it with the A max 140's and 120's.The factory ammo is designed for long range match shooting vs hunting only and it's at a reasonable price too.

Steve

Again thanks for the replies. I'd like to keep this focused on the cold weather performance of the 6.5x47 with regards to the small rifle primer and if any "actual users" of this cartridge have experienced any ignition problems when the mercury drops.

I have shot several rifles in sub 20 degree temps and have never had a problem with ammo not firing due to cold weather. i have never heard of anyone have problems with ammo not firing due to cold weather, how cold of temps are you talking about?

i have shot competition for 10 years and the only problems i have seen with peoples ammo due to the temperature is when it gets to hot and their ammo starts showing signs of pressure, but never from it being to cold

This rifle could see use in single ar neg. temps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sl78928</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have shot competition for 10 years and the only problems i have seen with peoples ammo due to the temperature is when it gets to hot and their ammo starts showing signs of pressure, but never from it being to cold </div></div>

Living in NC I wouldn't suspect that you would see many problems with ignition due to cold. The 22 cheetah was well known to experience this problem. It was based off a .308 case with a small primer.

22 cheetah

Cheetah

The 6.5x47L has less capacity but could be a canidate for this sort of problem as well. Especially given the temps that it will see here.

Do you have a 6.5x47 or anything of similar capacity that uses a small primer?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sjm229</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This rifle could see use in single ar neg. temps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sl78928</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have shot competition for 10 years and the only problems i have seen with peoples ammo due to the temperature is when it gets to hot and their ammo starts showing signs of pressure, but never from it being to cold </div></div>

Living in NC I wouldn't suspect that you would see many problems with ignition due to cold. The 22 cheetah was well known to experience this problem. It was based off a .308 case with a small primer.

22 cheetah

Cheetah

The 6.5x47L has less capacity but could be a canidate for this sort of problem as well. Especially given the temps that it will see here.

Do you have a 6.5x47 or anything of similar capacity that uses a small primer? </div></div>

I do not have a 6.5x47, but i do shoot a couple 6 br rifles. Also, I am from NC, but I have shot in alot of other states.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I am in the process of considering cartridges for a rifle build and the small rifle primers in the 6.5x47L has me concerned. SJM229, did you end up building a rifle with this caliber? Is so, did you have any issues in cold weather?

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I am in the process of considering cartridges for a rifle build and the small rifle primers in the 6.5x47L has me concerned. SJM229, did you end up building a rifle with this caliber? Is so, did you have any issues in cold weather?

Just run CCI450's or Rem 7 1/2. I've never had a single problem concerning ignition and I use 4831SC which is a slow powder for 6x47L.

I've been running CCI BR primers and was shooting my 6.5 X 47 last winter at 10-15 below during the "Evil polar vortex" incursions. Never had any issues with ignition at all. There was a slight velocity drop due to temps and RL15 but not much. Accuracy didn't change either.

Frank

unrelated but I had a 300 RUM that I loaded 210`s and a bunch of Retumbo with Fed 215 GMM primers,,in the `great 08-09 primer shortage I loaded it with CCI 200 and it would hang fire like an old side lock mzl when it got below 20*

In tests I've done with RL15, about 1 fps per degree is what I get. Holds pretty true for 260 anyway. I'll be doing a test with small primer brass in a 260 this winter to compare against large rifle brass to so if there is any significant difference. It will most likely be really cold when I do it so I'll be able to tell if there are ignition problems.