• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6.5x47 Lapua Brass specs?

icu812

Minuteman
Sep 1, 2010
North Central Missouri
I opened a new blue box of 6.5x47 Lapua brass the other night to do some measuring and was kind of surprised. I assumed I would not find much variation in OAL and I would just trim to the shortest case found. I was surprised to find that the shortest case measured was 1.8365, and the longest case measured 1.8475. I am new to reloading but was surprised in that much of a difference. Its enough to easily tell with the naked eye. I guess I have two questions. Is this much of a variation normal? Should I even mess with trying to even up theses new cases before firing? Thanks guys.

1.8475 - 1.8365 = 0.011

That's not much of a variance. The ONLY thing I generally do with virgin brass for precision loads is uniform the necks either by running them through an S die with bushing and/or neck turning, neither of which is critical at all.

Load 'em and shoot 'em.

1.8475 - 1.8365 = 0.011

That's not much of a variance. The ONLY thing I generally do with virgin brass for precision loads is uniform the necks either by running them through an S die with bushing and/or neck turning, neither of which is critical at all.

Load 'em and shoot 'em.

+1 on all acounts here.