• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 6.5x47 Lapua, need a good smith...

G and R

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Central, OH
Im looking for a good smith to cut, chamber and crown a 6.5x47 Lapua. Must have some experience in this cartridge. Any suggestions? Turn around time also needs to be somewhat quick.

Re: 6.5x47 Lapua, need a good smith...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">APA did mine. Their attention to detail is outstanding. </div></div>

Ive never heard of them, care to share the details?

American Precision Arms, Jered Joplin owner, they are located in Jefferson, GA. 706-534-1577.

Check out their website.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">American Precision Arms, Jered Joplin owner, they are located in Jefferson, GA. 706-534-1577.

Check out their website. </div></div>

Plus 1
Anyone who is good is not going to turn it around fast
APA 6.5X47
160boky.jpg

29ayvkz.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">'wnroscoe' can build a good one. He chambered mine and it could not perform any better. With a good barrel, you will be pleased.

http://louisianaprecisionrifles.com/

</div></div>

Mr. Roscoe was actually my first choice, but his lead times were a little discouraging. I have a competition on the horizon and need to begin load development ASAP.

Ive got a 1-8.5 twist 30" Bartlein that should be here this week. Feeding from a magazine is not important to me, so I would like to make sure my bullets are seated outside of the case body. Im still trying to decide which bullets to have it throated for. This will be my first 6.5 Lapua, any ideas?

Call Ken Porter of Porter Precision. He built my 6.5x47 and it's a tackdriver. His turnaround is very quick, and his quality is outstanding. If you would like his number, please PM me.

Jon Beanland. He goes by "beanland" here, and is an exceptional smith. His turn around times are very good as well. I believe the 6.5 is one of his favorite cartidges as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">'wnroscoe' can build a good one. He chambered mine and it could not perform any better. With a good barrel, you will be pleased.

http://louisianaprecisionrifles.com/

</div></div>
Mine too. Shoots extremely well. Could not be happier.

My vote is for RBROS RIFLES out of Washington State.
Sent Travis Redell my parts, and had my rifle back in less than a month.
And it is a TACK DRIVER! Here is a pic of my 6.5x47 Lapua that Travis built for me.Travis has experience with this caliber, as he competes with it.

IMG_1132.jpg

.140" Free Bore will work fine with 123 to 130's, thats what my reamer is and it seems to work. Sorry about the wait time being too long for you.

There was a time when I could have it done in 2 weeks or less but, those days are gone for now.

for the 1-8.5 twist that you have, 130's are about as heavy as you want to go. The 1-8.5 is better for lighter bullets and shorter ranges. A 1-8 twist is better for 140's and heavier bullets for longer ranges.
In regards to a gunsmith, I would prefer to use one it close to me, and that I am going to use on a regular basis.

Tuna,
you are going to have to stop posting pictures of that 6.4X47L now that you have sold it. Every time I see it, I kick myself for not buying it from you.

Call Tom Sarver at thunder valley precsion and see if he can help you. He is up there in Ohio.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call Tom Sarver at thunder valley precsion and see if he can help you. He is up there in Ohio. </div></div>

Im most likely going to set it up to run the 130 Bergers. Thanks for the opinions gents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txlimey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for the 1-8.5 twist that you have, 130's are about as heavy as you want to go. The 1-8.5 is better for lighter bullets and shorter ranges. A 1-8 twist is better for 140's and heavier bullets for longer ranges.
In regards to a gunsmith, I would prefer to use one it close to me, and that I am going to use on a regular basis.

Tuna,
you are going to have to stop posting pictures of that 6.4X47L now that you have sold it. Every time I see it, I kick myself for not buying it from you. </div></div>

You will see a new one soon with a shorter barrel

Any other thoughts? I'm very strongly considering sending it to Jon Beanland, I have heard only good things.