• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 6.5x47 Lapua Optic

SIG383

Private
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2010
South Hill/Puyallup, WA
I'm getting my 6.5x47 built, now what would be a good all-around scope magnification to use? I know you can hit past 1000 with that round, but I will also be using this for hunting at pretty close, to mid-range.

Re: 6.5x47 Lapua Optic

Excluding building two rifles, the driving forces on your rifle optics will most likely be the close range hunting (not sure how thick the woods are where you hunt or what exactly you are hunting)followed by low light (dawn and dusk) and then possible weight (again depending on the rifle weight and how you are hunting).

For much of the hunting in the woods of Michigan everyone in the family ended up using various Leupold scopes over the last three dozen years with the VarX III 1.5x5 (limited low light) and 1.75x6 being the most common with a few 2.5 to 8s tossed in. Since most all shots were this side of 200 yards, tended to be biased towards the low end, plus a lot with muzzle loaders also (last few hunting trips were with an iron sighted flintlock).

Thus if weight was not a driving factor, would in general consider if you wished a scope for hunting with acceptable long range performance or the reverse.

Option A: With a primary focus on hunting, would look at one of the newer (from my point of view ;-) extended power range of scopes that go from around two power to near ten power, such as the Swarovski 1.7-10x42 Z6 or a similar lower cost brand from whom ever you trust. There are similar mill dot scopes, but many have a smaller objectives and thus in theory a more limited lower light capabilities, but have advantages for longer range field shooting (really outside the range of hunting for most of us).

Option B: A long range scope with acceptable medium close hunting applications. For example one could look at a 3.5x15 by 50 Nightforce NXS or similar for higher or lower cost manufactures. The nominal 3 power would give one good medium close distance hunting and the 10 to 15 power is fine at a distance. Would include some type AO, mil dot (of what every flavor you wish) and external knobs.

Will be interested to see what you pick.

Re: 6.5x47 Lapua Optic

I just had a pistol made for me by Accuflite in 6.5x47 Lapua with a 15" barrel on a sako action. I had JB put a Zeiss 4-14x50MC with a Rapid Z-100. Works very well and shoots well for long distance shots. However, I wanted a lower power scope for hunting so I just ordered a Zeiss 1.8-5x32 Z-Plex. It will cost me $394 shipped to my door. I can't wait to mount this one for up coming hunting season. PAT.