• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x47 Lapua, Who Shoots Them?

JBM_DC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2011
OKC, OK
www.facebook.com
Curious to hear from those of you who shoot the little 6.5x47 Lapua.

I recently handed all my parts over to Jon Beanland, and cannot wait to see the finished product. We have yet to go over the specs on the rifle and will do so at a later date. This will be for practical / tactical matches and so most of my decisions will be to aid in competition. Rifle will be suppressed 100% of the time. Anyways, I would love to hear from those of you who shoot the 6.5x47L. Any information you have would be very helpful, and PICS PICS PICS!!!

Please no caliber bashing or you should switch to this caliber talk. Lets keep this thread clean and on topic! ANYTHING 6.5x47Lapua!!

I will start off with pics and specs for my current build.

2Q0A5121 by jbm_dc, on Flickr
2Q0A5122 by jbm_dc, on Flickr

This pic just shows the chassis and suppressor to be used. (KRG X-Ray, SilencerTechLLC 3G custom suppressor)
2Q0A0150R by jbm_dc, on Flickr

Specs:

Surgeon 591
Benchmark 6.5 MTU 1:8 @ 22-24"?
Timney 510
KRG X-Ray
Atlas Bipod (for now)
TPS Rings (not sure of height)
Bushnell 3.5-21x50 ERS G2 Ret
SilencerTechLLC custom 3G braked suppressor

Will be running 140 Berger Hybrids with Varget

That is the list of parts that I have currently, it may change when it comes closer to build time.

Last edited:
<style type="text/css">p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }</style><style type="text/css">p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }</style>
Pg.jpg

Eliseo RTS chassis
20" Bartlien Barrel
Atlas bipod, old pic not shown
Kahles 6-24 MSRk, which i need to mount this weekend

I run 123gr bullets but may try some 130 once i get back to shooting

Matt is a great guy also, was gonna have him build mine at first. Jon was in town and we met up which was just a whole lot easier for me. I am sure you will not be disappointed, as I am sure I will not be.

You will love it, nice selection of parts. Being that you are shooting 140 hybrids tells me you want to shoot it long. If so the reamer you use is the most important part of the build. If you want the most out of it and only want to shoot 140's get plenty of free bore and it will easily out run a standard reamer. You will hear people say the case is too small for 140's BULL POOP, I run a 198" FB and 140 Hybrids @ 2920 fps with 1/4 MOA accuracy further than I am capable of shooting. If you want speed and accuracy with 140's skip Varget and go H-4350

BAT VR PIC 28" Bartlein MTU 720 G-Hog

Last edited:
I love my Desert Tactical SRS in 6.5X47. Its a great shooter. I've done a couple barrels for other DT's and they are having great fun at 1000yds + with the little guy.

I don't think you'll regret building one.

Frank

Picking up my Thunder Valley built 6.5L this week, looking forward too load development with some 130VLD's and 136 Scenars.

A couple of years ago I was going to build one using a Badger M2008 action. The guys at Benchmark talked me into 6.5 Creedmore instead, it shot really well but I sold it with about 100 rounds on it. I'm now waiting for a Benchmark barrel in 6.5 SAUM for my DTA (which I sold the M2008 to buy). Some times I regret not sticking with it but then again, I like the more compact nature of the DTA platform.

Resampled952014-04-069510-39-1195811.jpg
Here's mine 20" Rock MTU with a Tbac 30 BA if I had it to do over I would have went to a med palma to save some weight. 2700 fps w/140 berger vld's and H4350. 1300 rounds and haven't had to touch the load and still shoots in the low .2's

Congrats on your 6.5x47 Beanland rifle! Jon is a great smith, great guy to work with.

Jon just recently chamber this 6.5x47 for me. Bighorn action/Mark Chanlynn medium palma 24" barrel. Finish load work up on it today. 37.3 Varget/140 Hybrids jumped .010/CCI450's shooting very well. Also tried 4350, little more velocity but not the accuracy. Two friends also shoot Beanland built 6.5x47's 22" and 24" barrels, both also shoot very well with Varget/140 Hybrids.

Shooting it next weekend at a local steel match. Been shooting 6x47's (Jon also chambered), went to a 6.5 for longer barrel life. Will be fun to see how I do with it next weekend compared to the 6x47's.

Last edited:
This is mine that Jon built. It runs with a can all the time now and has a Premier in place of the NF. Loves 140 hybrids jumped and 40ish grs h4350. Mine hammers and I'm sure yours will to!

Beautiful rifles guys, lets keep this up!

PatrickChewing - SPECS!

KevinU - what kind of velocity are you getting with the 140s and varget from your 24" tube?

JSimonh - How long is your barrel now that it is suppressed? Do you compete locally?

I need to find a shooting buddy to help me practice.

Velocity is 2770.

Friends with the other Beanland 6.5x47's, 22"/37.6/2760, 24"/37/2780.

One of the many great 6.5 calibers IMO. I had one in a tactical rifles which I sold. Didn't sell it because I didn't like it, but because I had two in the same caliber. The second is in a bench rest configuration, which I still have and shoot it once in a while when the weather's nice and cool. I don't have any pics of it, but I made a short youtube video of it. The link is below in case you care to see it. I haven't really done any sort of load development since bench rest shooting is not my cup of tea, but it shoots ok.

Bench Rest Rifle build Part 6 - YouTube

JBM,

Surgeon 591 w APA bolt knob
Krieger Light Varmint barrel, 8.5 twist, 27 finished length
Sentinel stock with Terry's NV rail
Timney 517 trigger
ARC rings
Kahles 6-25 MSR
Thunder Beast 30P-1 in raw titanium

338Norma,
Prob didn't see my stock. I brought all my parts with me and left with the rifle. Although, it's not uncommon to see several Sentinels laying around his shop. Been shooting 123 Scenars with a handful of varget.

JSimonh - How long is your barrel now that it is suppressed? Do you compete locally?

Its still 25", thought about going down to 22 but decided losing 3" of length wouldnt be that beneficial. Me and another local guy are both in OPPS although we dont get to go as often as we would like. We started our own club here in SW Oklahoma and its a growing/learning process.

Don't let anyone tell you the 47L can't run with the bigger calibers at long range when the wind is not crazy.
I won the AL LR F Class championship(1000 yd)with mine a few weeks ago shooting the hybrids over a case full of h4350.
30" Broughton with over 2600 rds through it. I did stay clean through the first 34-35 for score each day.
Barrel should have been replaced a few hundred rounds ago since accuracy fell off after 45-50 through it each day.
We had normal switchy winds, but not Raton type switchy.

The two creedmoors I have have never reached the accuracy level I've gotten from three different 47's.

Velocity is 2770.

Friends with the other Beanland 6.5x47's, 22"/37.6/2760, 24"/37/2780.

Actually it's 37.4-gr of Varget with my 22" barrel. Rifle is currently in Jon's shop waiting to be bedded in a McM A-5A. Most accurate rifle I own, shot a 0.12" 5-round group at 100-meters with the 140 Hybrids.

Actually it's 37.4-gr of Varget with my 22" barrel. Rifle is currently in Jon's shop waiting to be bedded in a McM A-5A. Most accurate rifle I own, shot a 0.12" 5-round group at 100-meters with the 140 Hybrids.

Have you tested velocity with more powder in your 22" barrel? Does accuracy fall off quick after the 37.4gr of Varget?

Also, PICS!

I was starting to see slight signs of pressure at 37.6, and thinking I was shooting the heavies far faster then I ever imagined, I stayed where I felt comfortable with the accuracy node I had at 37.4-grs.
No matter how slow or fast I was pushing a bullet, it was crazy accurate. My original intent was to shoot the 130-gr Norma bullets, but couldn't get good ES or SD numbers, even though it was an accurate bullet, so I just tried the 140-gr Hybrids out of curiosity, and was quite suprised how fast they were out of my 22" barrel. PM me your email address, and I'll email you a picture, I don't have the bandwidth to post pictures, but feel free to post a pic of my rifle if you wish.

Last edited:
The specs on my rifle are:

Beanland Custom Rifles
Defiance Rebel (Rem 700 footprint)
Bartlein M40 Contour 22"
Surefire SOCOM Brake
PTG Tactical Bolt Knob
Cerikoted Mil Spec OD Green
S&B 5-25 DT/CCW MSR
Near Alpha Mount
Atlas Bipod
was in a XLR Element chassis with custom Kydex forearm and Bipod rail, waiting to go into a McMillan A5-A.

Also curious, were these velocities with the suppressor or without? If without how much change did you see with it?

That was without my suppressor. I normally would have gone with a longer barrel such as 24-26", but there's a comp I shoot in every year that has a 22" barrel limit for the carbine class.

Last edited:
Chad Dixon spin one up for me. M7 action, Mullerworks tube. It's a hunting rifle, #4 contour. Talley LWs holding onto a VX2 CDS...

It will toss the 130 AB at 2850 with a stout dose of RL-17. And they print pretty well. I will be field testing on some deer this fall.

8CB1F594-E6CE-40F6-A293-1661BAEC6226_zpsweg4gmxp.jpg

75C1BE85-4D21-4381-AF2C-22B0E562A56E_zpsilec5eut.jpg

979b6a96190980573e043436c6935573_zps2d9a38c6.jpg

Last edited:
You need a beautiful wood stock for that rifle! Very nice groups.

I do believe I will have to build one for hunting, or general range use. Most likely a 16" barrel, possibly shorter if I get real wild!

Uploading photos for Alpine 338

image1_zps4a4b3aad.jpg

image_zps914df494.jpg

Very nice group

The specs on my rifle are:

Beanland Custom Rifles
Defiance Rebel (Rem 700 footprint)
Bartlein M40 Contour 22"
Surefire SOCOM Brake
PTG Tactical Bolt Knob
Cerikoted Mil Spec OD Green
S&B 5-25 DT/CCW MSR
Near Alpha Mount
Atlas Bipod
was in a XLR Element chassis with custom Kydex forearm and Bipod rail, waiting to go into a McMillan A5-A.

image.jpg

Mine likes Berger VLD Target 130 g with RL 15 @ 36.5. Easy to load for and great accuracy.

Last edited:
With the VLD have you had to chase the lands? Also how sensitive is it to seating depth?

On a side note, I ordered what I thought was a 3.5-21x50 Bushnell ERS with a G2 Reticle.... Received a 4.5-30x50 Bushnell XRS with a G2 Reticle. I could not be anymore happier with my after midnight ordering mistake!

Slapped the scope on my .22lr and ran some drills at the local gun club. By the end of the session I had it ran out to 500m, not very probable with hits, but fun none the less. Had consistent hits out to 300m with our gusty winds today. Figured I would practice with the scope and calling wind while my rifle is being built. Had a blast, but once the winds got real high I had to stick to 150m...

Last edited:
Both rifles were built by Dana English, who I highly suggest. The rifle in the front is the 6.5x47. For whatever reason, I haven't used the 140 VLD's since shooting this group almost a year ago. It is very friendly caliber to reloaders. I know Robert Gradous is very high on it as well. I now shoot it suppressed with a Thunderbeast 30BA and it is as quiet as my AR suppressed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
I cannot comment on the element and I am sure that chassis would work for me. But because of my individual body type I had to ditch 3 of my evolution chassis. They just did not fit my body as well as I tried to make them. The element for sure would fit me, but I decided to give KRG a try with my newest chassis addition. I really do not see any way the XLR Element chassis could hinder a rifle or a shooter in a competition.

Alpine 338 how come you ditched the xlr element that's what I wanted for the barrel I just ordered from krieger, did it hinder your rifle.

The Element chassis was originally bought for my Rem 5R in 223. The McMillan stock that I ordered for my 6.5x47 build was held up for months, so I asked Jon to just build me the barreled action so I could shoot it in July match, and the configuration as pictured is what I ran with. My McMillan stock has since been delivered, and I sent the Barreled action back to Jon to complete the build.

The Element chassis is now married to the 5R where its serving its original purpose. My only complaint about the XLR chassis is Ergonomics for me. The tail end is a little lighter then I prefer as I order my McMillan stocks with Sniper Fill, and that balances the complete rifle a little better for me. Also the fore end was a little to square for me, and with my arthritis, it was hard to grip and carry, so I added the Kydex fore end that has the same contour of a Sako TRG.

The other mod I made to the XLR is I added a hard rubber bumper to the bottom of the butt that served dual purpose of protecting the aluminum from rock dings and scrapes, and also giving me a hook for my rear bag as I'm accustomed with on the McMillan A5.

Last edited:
Based on feedback from a few PRS shooters I'm planning to re chamber / re barrel my current comp gun to the 6.5x47 round and my current build which I'm still collecting parts for will also be a 6.5x47...
Being a lefty it takes twice as long to assemble parts for a build so I'm in no rush.

I've heard the round with the 140 Hybirds is slow but crazy accurate.

Picked mine up Friday afternoon, now to find some time for load development.
Trued Remington action
Bartlien heavy varmint finished at 27 1/2" 1:8 twist
AICS 1.5 w/ Viper Skins
And hopefully the new Steiner T5XI sometime soon.

imag.jpg

Based on feedback from a few PRS shooters I'm planning to re chamber / re barrel my current comp gun to the 6.5x47 round and my current build which I'm still collecting parts for will also be a 6.5x47...
Being a lefty it takes twice as long to assemble parts for a build so I'm in no rush.

I've heard the round with the 140 Hybirds is slow but crazy accurate.

Everything seems to be crazy accurate out of the 6.5x47. I talked to Robert Gradous about a .260 and he suggested the 6.5x47 and joked that you could load the bullet backwards and still shoot one hole groups.

Yep...
As soon as OTM has the blanks in my lead slinger taking a trip to Hephzibah, GA for an Extreme Make Over and I can't wait until Robert calls and is tells me to....

"MOVE THAT BUS"!!!!!!!!