• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x47 Lapua with h4895

clinto

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Lubbock, TX
Has anybody tried h4895 in the 6.5x47 lapua with 130 grain bullets. I’ve been searching and have read about people getting good results with this powder, just wanted to see if anyone here has experience with it

4895 is a little fast I think I ran varget when I shot a 47 most accurate powder I tested in 3 barrels

I have a 16” 6.5x47 Lapua and my 37.5 grain varget load gets me around 2620 with a 130 grain bullet. I recently bought some ammo from copper creek and ran it over the Magnetospeed just to compare to mine and it ran about 2720. I assumed they either ran varget or h4350 so I pulled a bullet weighed it at 37 grains. So half a grain less than my load got me 100 FPS faster. just researching what powder it could be. The es and sd we’re incredibly low as well, I’m thinking about just purchasing a lot more from them and not even reloading for it myself.

call or email copper creek and see if they will tell you what powder it is...i doubt 4350 would get that speed in that short barrel...maybe RL-15.

i was just looking at the copper creek site and they claim to use temp stable powders in their ammo so eliminates RL-15 if thats the case.

Last edited:
I may check with them and see if they would share what powder they use. Looking at them side by side looks exactly like h4895

I may check with them and see if they would share what powder they use. Looking at them side by side looks exactly like h4895
You can call them, but I would think it would be highly unlikely that they cough up load details so it could be plastered all over the web. Copper Creek is big enough they most likely have access to OEM powders, even if they told you what it was, unless you have a Class 6 lic, it is off limits to you anyway.
If you are looking for more speed out of your barrel, buy a lb of RL 16.

It's a good temp stable powder and it's definitely worth trying. I'm using Varget but it's up to the individual rifle, if it likes H4895 better then use it. H4895 is just a little faster burning than Varget but it's not far off so use what the rifle likes best.. Six of one half dozen of the other.