• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x47 Load Lengths

kyle

Private
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2001
Fort Worth, TX
Most if the 6.5x47 handload threads concentrate on grains of powder and velocity. I'm still working with my gunsmith to come up with the optimum throat length for the Lapua 123/139 and Berger 130 bullets. Many of you have suggested 0.109 freebore but I don't know what COAL and, more importantly, what ogive length you're loading to. For instance, from previous posts, I know Weda' is loading his 139 Scenar rounds @ 2.74" COAL and 2.136 ogive length. What I don't know is his freebore length. So I'd like to gather some data.

Please post

1) Bullet Make and weight
2) COAL
3) Ogive length
4) Freebore length

At the end, I'll compile this into a single table.

Thanks!

Re: 6.5x47 Load Lengths

Better yet... Give Mark a call and ask him what he loads to...

He will build it just like his if you like.

Why not go directly to the source?

-Wil

Re: 6.5x47 Load Lengths

I shoot 2 of these.
130 Norma bullet
"2.675" & "2.680" OAL
"3.060" & "3.055" Ogive Length. This is with a Sinclair Comp.
That's the first time I've ever measured OAL.
Freebore. Don't have a clue. C Dixon reamed these, he might know by reamer specs if you want to call him.

Bullets are seated- start of boatail=bottom of neck, room to seat out farther. Both loads were touching lands when I started.