• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x47 on the way--need advice on bullet

CCooper

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 20, 2009
Hoschton, GA
As much as I'd love to shoot the 140's, I'm reading this case is not designed for them. I have it narrowed down to the 130 Berger hunting vld, the 123 Scenar or the 130 Swampworks. I have experience with Bergers (7wsm-180 hunting vld) and love it, so I'm leaning that way, but the 123 scenar seems perfect for the case and the BC of the 130 Swampworks is amazing if it is not optimistic? I'd rather shoot and hunt with the same bullet, so does this cross out the Scenar? What is the word on the Swampworks bullets-are the BC's correct and how do they shoot-how do they perform hunting? I'd like to send a dummy round to APA with the boatail junction at the shoulder/neck junction to chamber correctly. Thanks

Re: 6.5x47 on the way--need advice on bullet

I chose the 139 scenar. The case is very robust. It handles the 139 just fine and it goes at 2830 fps.
The 123 shoots equally well but does not get to 1000 yards with the same authority.
The SMK and scenar are fine for hunting. Barnes X is best though.

I shot 1 deer with a smk and it performed perfect, so if the scenar does similar then I definitely will not cross it out.

Have you tried the 130 berger or 130 swampworks against the 139 scenar?

I shoot the 130Gr berger at a little over 2900FPS. Excellent bullet. Very hard to beat RL-15 in this cartridge!!

If you go with the JLKs you should order your bullets when you order your barrel. I can't get the 130 JLKs to out do the 130 Bergers, but I won't stop. I chambered for the 130 but measure and load for 123 scenars and have no problems running the factory loaded 139s.
The scenars leave lots of copper in my barrel. I thought that the barrel was a copper hog and spent forever breaking it in, then switched to from scenars to berger vlds and there was virtually no copper.
I don't know about the hunting VLDs but the regular 130 VLDs kill shit very well.
You are going to love the 6.5x47
Talk to the guys at pacific machine and tool, they do reamers for a lot of these and will be helpful in figuring out what you want to do as far as chambering.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr.Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know about the hunting VLDs but the regular 130 VLDs kill shit very well. </div></div>

Yes they do! And leave an impressive wound channel and exit.

Mr. Kirk (or anyone), have you shot the 130 jlk against the 130 berger with similar velocities @ distance. If the 130 jlk really has a bc of .620 vs. .552 for berger it should be obvious (roughly 20" @ 1000yds). I would like to know if someone has done this. Same thing for the 7mm 180's. Now I'm shooting the 180 berger (.659 bc) but would like to try the 180jlk (.735 bc-WOW). I don't believe I could magazine the 180jlk in my AccurateMag wsm mag though (I only have roughly .05 room with the 180 berger). If someone has the distance from the ogive to the tip of the 180 jlk, I would appreciate it.

I believe Berger has 2 vld's now for most of their bullets--the hunting vld and target vld (thick jackets I think). That's why I said hunting vld.

I talked to Steve regarding ordering the jlk's. If ordered with his run schedule, the wait will be 4-6 weeks. I don't mind if they're worth it.

Kirk, I think I remember reading the scenars are .0005 larger than some others, so that may be where the extra copper came from in your barrel.

From the testing we've done the BC on the JLK is pretty close. The JLK load we run is about 30-50fps slower than the Berger but it still outperforms at distances out to 1500yds. Generally run the JLK at 2950 and the Berger at closer to 3000. Note that Berger lowered the BC on the 130 from .595 and the new BC seems to match up better at 1000+ distances.

Your results may vary, but that's what I've seen. More testing to come once the new rifles are done in a about a month. I'm 6.5less for now...

CCooper,

I also have a 6.5x47 on the way and also want one bullet for both target shooting and hunting. So I'm going with Berger or Swampworks bullets. The jacket material is the same J4 jacket for both. I've been asking around and I've been told both give very similar terminal results. I asked on longrangehunting.com if you want to take a look, just do a search on JLK.

I've had my 6.5X47 for a few months now. I've had great results with 123 grain scenars, shooting out to 400 yards so far. Sierra's 123 grain MatchKings also shoot well. The 130 Berger VLD's haven't done as well for me, but I could always play some more with seating depth.

Re 15 is great for this cartridge. I've also tried Ramshot's Big Game and Hunter, and IMR 4007. I get better velocity and accuracy with Re15 (but IMR 4007 did give a pretty narrow velocity range).

I stopped playing with the JLKs at 300yds. I just ran out of Bergers and will likely start to play with the JLKs again this wk/end.
Good info on the scenars. Thanks
There's another bullet custom manufacturer with a fancy german name here in the states though. I cannot remember his name but will talk to my gunsmith this weekend.
The German dudes bullets tend to out perform all of the above as far as killing paper goes.
I'll get back with a name this weekend.