• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x47 to 1200 yards...

DoubleGobble00

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2009
Brandon, MS
Lomaxmsu78 and I went and shot some last weekend. I managed to shoot one groups at 800 yards and 1000 yards. Then we moved back to 1200 yards and shot three groups. The mirage was rough at first but my last 1200 yard groups the mirage was gone. I was a lot of fun.. Maybe next time we will move on back to 1600 yards...

Lomaxmsu78 lining up the shot. Notice the power poles... The power poles are 189 yards part. The target is a little past the 6th power pole.
LRshoot20.jpg

800 Yard group (nothing to write home about.. I was just glad to be on the board)
800yards.jpg

1000 Yard group (I shot five.. Not sure what happened to the fifth one)
1000yards.jpg

1200 Yards groups. (I was on the board with the first dial... then move my MOA the following two times to dial in on it.)
1200yards1.jpg

1200yards2.jpg

I felt the best about this group when shooting it. It turned out pretty good.
1200yards3.jpg

DoubleG

<span style="font-weight: bold">*NEW* GobbleCams in stock now (7/14/09)</span>
gobcam.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">www.gobblecams.com</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">[email protected]</span>

Re: 6.5x47 to 1200 yards...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trigger time</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope that can was empty. </div></div>

I know that's what you are worried about most, TT!! I think it's just the lid.
Looks like fun shooting! Those are decent groups, but just off the target!!
laugh.gif

Rifle Specs!!!

I'm having a 6.5X47 Lapua built on a Borden action, I hope I can have it before hunting season.
Good shooting!

yep, I'd also like to see specs on the rifle, rail, rings and scope.

Very cool stuff!

DG00

Could you post rifle and load specs please? I'm just waiting on the delivery of a 6.5x47 so very interested.

Fun and nice groups all considering!

Brgds English

Looks like fun. What cartridge is the 6.5x47 close to? The 260?

I am not not DG00 but since he has not reaponded, he is running JLKs with reloader 15, about 41 grains I think. All I know about the gun is that it is a savage in a HS stock with a mcgowan (I think) barrel. I am pretty sure he added an aftermarket trigger also.

DG is just another unfortunate soul I led down the path to destruction with this long range shooting crap. I know of at least a dozen wives who want me dead.

He needs to work that vertical outof that load

Sorry for the long delay...

I am shooting a Savage Varmint action with DBM in a HS Precision Stock and a 26 inch Shilen barrel. I am using RE15 at 38 grains with CCI BR4 primers in Lapua brass (of course). It is running 2875 fps.

I still have some vertical to work out but I am close I think. I am fixing to try a few new things and hope to bring my groups in tighter.

Thanks for taking up my slack Eddybo... Yeah.. This hobby is all your fault... But I love it!

DoubleG

I am using the 130 JLKs from Swampworks. They seem to shoot pretty good and suppose to have a .62 BC. I don't know if that is verified or not tho...

LOL... Yeah same county... I think;)

DoubleG

Just a word of caution, I was shooting Varget for about 1,400 rounds in my 6.5 x 47 L but I am low on Varget and want to keep what I have for F-class matches. I have shot 130 g Begers with and had good luck. I have about 15# of RL-15 and have always had good luck with it in my AR's so I worked up some loads from 24.5 to 37 g RL-15 and went to my close available range at 100 yards and 37 g led to on ragged hole, although all of the groups were under 1 inch on a day with heavy wind. None of the loads showed abnormal pressures, although if someone shows you a primer shot in a 6.5 x 47 L you may think the load is over max even though it is light load. The combination of the small rifle primer and small flash hole seems to be hard on primers in that round. A lot of people have mentioned pierced primers. My stiller action has not needed to be bushed and the the tube on it is a Brux 28 inch 1-8 twist HV profile. The primers were CCI BR-4's, no I did not just find them I am at the end of a supply I purchased 2.r5 years ago. Only 1,000 of the BR4's to go.

I know it was not a great day to load test but i wanted to find a load to test out at the 600 yard line in a club monday night shoot. I load up 25 rounds with 37 grains RL 15 hand weighing and tricling each charge. Shooting went pretty well I had 4 9's and two of those were low due to leakage from a partial case-head separation, I saw the gas leakage as I was taking the loads out and that is why I know that 4 of my lost points were due to lower velocity. The loads shot well except the pressure was a little high. No ejector flow or extractor marks. After coming off the line I looked at all of the rounds shot that night and found 5 more with visible stretch marks at the web wall area all the brass went into the garbage except for some saved as examples.

The previous 7 loadings on the brass was with a Varget load of 34.8 g pushing the 130 at 2750 fps, the low node was the most accurate and it reached 1,000 supersonic so all was good. I have loaded for about 35 years and I think my process is sound and the long range results seem to bear that out. Comparing the comeups between my Varget and RL-15 37 g load at 600 tell me the MZ on the RL-15 at 37 grains was around 2,780 - 2,790 fps only a little faster than my go to round loaded with Varget.

I bring this up because there are a lot of loads out there for RL-15 in the 6.5 x 47 L that are are over 37 grains. The cartridge case on this round is pretty stout and some of the normal high pressure signs may not be all that apparent until you are well over max pressure. This is not a cautionary tale about 6.5 x 47 L as I think that is a great round and I think you will be seeing more of them cropping up.

Let the rants begin and I understand that, as I was surprised to see the results. I checked on two scales that the loads were 37 grains as I had 3 unshot rounds that I tested. I can make mistakes but am pretty meticulous about my loading procedure.

Just a Head's up,

Thats good to hear. I have been running 37.3 grains of RL 15 in my 6.5X47. My chamber is shorter than most people's. I use a 123 scenar at an overall length of 2.635 that puts me .010 off the lands.

I have been getting some mild pressure sign on my brass. The gun is brand new and only has 112 rounds down the pipe. I am getting just a shiny spot from the ejector on the back of the brass.

Its running around 2950 so I am going to back down the charge a little. The low node that I was shooting was at 34.5 grains and was a bug holer but I still got that really impressive primer creater. That seems to be hard to get rid of.

Ican not find any info on 6.5x47 loads with a 142smk with varget. Is this to heavy of a bullet for this round? my 260 does great with 142s. I know they have to be pretty close any help would be appreciated.

I also shoot 37.3 gr of RL-15 with 123's @ 2930fps. Primers crater but I think bushing the firing pin would resolve the problem. Haven't noticed any case head stretching signs, but will look closely now.