• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6.5x47 vs 260 and 6.5creedmore

Jedi

Team AndiCapp
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2003
Mountains
Dont want romp over another thread so started this for discussion of velocity of these 3 rounds
Here is what i know
41.5 h4350 28" 130jlk 2975fps

I stopped at 42.3 as i ran out of case capacity, zero pressure issues noted

So 42.3 probably ran 3050...guessing

That doesnt seem slow to me and based on info posted in reloading section for 260, x47 is equal to 260 or there's not enough difference to worry about it.

So what numbers do we have for 260 and 6.5 creedmore, post please for comparison

Re: 6.5x47 vs 260 and 6.5creedmore

Not yet, i understand it gives a real boost in fps?

Using 4350 SC best velocity I get from 139s that groups into one hole and can be used in weather from 20 degrees to 120 is 2850fps with 260.

Sorry have not played with lighter bullets

UNderstand Mike
thats why althou i can run faster i settled on 41.5 @ 2975fps for accuracy ES/SD etc

Who built your rifle? What is the freebore lenght and are you still using RUSSIAN primers?

THANKS,
JOHN

Bama
Mark Pharr built my rig, its set for .010 jam @ 2.800 OAL

Lawton
yes 6.5-284 is no doubt quickest but comparison is between
x47,260 and 6.5cm

Based on lack of input from 260 and 6.5cm shooters, would lead me to think that x47 fps is equal or better. Reloading thread would seem to bear this out. Not seeing anything there i cant do with my x47.

Jedi,

I think what the issue is is that no one wants to play.

There is a bunch of contradictory information floating around. For example, in the other thread Raptor99 says

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raptor99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10 pages and nothing settled!!HA Like I said earlier, pick one you won't be disappointed. The 6MMs with the 105s an 115s are a really nice flat round too. They are nearly a ballistic twin to the 6.5s shooting the 123 and 120s.

You guys who are shooting the 260s or the Creedmorr or a 6.5x47 should try the 120 to 123gr bullets in them. A friend of mine got me started on the 123s after my last barrel setback. I had always shot the 140s in mine but after going to the 123s I don't think I would ever go back to the 140s in my rifle.

Using a 123gr Lapua my 260 shoots to within .5moa of my 6.5x284 data for both wind and elevation to 1000yds with less recoil and a lot better barrel life. I loved my 6.5x284s but they are just to hard on barrels for the amount of shooting I did and some matches were really hard on them esp. rapid fire type segments.

</div></div>

Now he's saying he is within .5 moa of a 6.5x284 in both elevation and windage. So I think that would blow the 6.5 x 47 out of the water.

Also, on a different note, I am concerned about the pressure the 6.5 x 47 produces. You claim it can match velocities yet at what cost? In the other thread you mention that the reason it can match the velocities is due to the small rifle primer and the Lapua case that can withstand the higher pressure.

So how is it going to hang in a hot, rapid fire tactical scenario?

Jedi, what velocity do you get with 139s?

I dont think there is much difference between the 6.5x47 and 260 when it comes to the lighter bullets but a couple of guys with 6.5x47s told me they had trouble going 2800fps with 139s

Good job on build Pharr build. Nice guy great shooter and work is fantastic.

Mike
My main load is 130jlk 41.5 h4350 2975fps @59k psi, pressure from Ql so no idea how accurate it is.
What i maintain is x47 can match 260 or 6.5cm, as case is designed for higher pressure max loads will surpass 260/6.5cm.

So based on loads most commonly used ie below max for all 3 the difference is negligible.
The choice is just personal preference not performance, however if i was building a Tactical rig...which mine is not

Mag length issues prevent chasing lands or loading long to take advantage of those long sleek 6.5 bullets

x47
OAL is none issue, load until bullet falls outta case and still feed from mag.

6.5cm
As i understand is also in this position and not killed by mag constraints impeding OAL, i dont have one just what ive read.

Now you can modify Mag and throat accordingly and make a 308 work @2.920 like a charm, no reason ya couldnt do same for 260.
If we base needs on standard throat and mags 260 is done.

x47 or 6.5cm?
off shelf ammo only user, i wouold go with 6.5cm

User reloads
best brass is? consensus says lapua
Hornady brass, no idea as to quality
308 i used lapua then switched to Win brass, capacity reasons and $$. Lapua is not cheap.
So quality would go to Lapua, cost issues hornady
Heres the kicker
Lapua brass x47 is good for 30 or so reloads, not my numbers but info from various shooters ETC
Hornady brass number of reloads, dont know i dont use it. I have read its softer than Win brass, good for 30 loads i doubt.

So whats my conclusion and this is just my thought process.
Downrange performance using standard loads
No clear winner

Tactical rifle standard mag OAL and throat
260 is loser

Match rifle (single load only)
No clear winner

Brass
Lapua is best period, but $$ althou many report 2-3 times more reloads before tossing
Many 260 users use lapua 243 brass, still some just use Rem.
Hornady no idea if its like Win brass then thats a big bonus, however most compare it to federal brass a lil soft.
Conclusion...???
pick ya poison they all work, personal requirements/preference etc.

Now thats about as clear as mud, so those of you looking for a reason to select a cal for your next build ...sorry

Determing factor in my selection?
easy my smith already had reamer, he is a sponsored Lapua shooter and has alot of load data for x47
lastly as stated my him
"that brass is the toughest brass he has ever used period"
Music to my ears as i tend to run HOT loads...done deal.

So those of you who say x47 is slowest, ck your numbers
can 260 or 6.5cm run 130 JLK 2975fps+ 28" barrel?
no ejector wipe easy bolt lift
Mark has run some crazy loads that i wont even try, he swears other than lil ejector wipe they are good...short brass life.

My choice was pert clear, yours may not be.
But dont base choice on downrange performance, there is no clear winner with standard pressure loads.

Only one of these was specifically designed for HOT loads running high pressure, running max loads there is only one clear choice....you decide

Mark is a super nice guy, outstanding gunsmith and nationally ranked shooter. Plus he lives like 5 mins away, x47 he built is a just amazingly accurate. Just need to get my ass shooting again, not shot since med issue in Sept....soon i hope soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike
My main load is 130jlk 41.5 h4350 2975fps @59k psi, pressure from Ql so no idea how accurate it is.
What i maintain is x47 can match 260 or 6.5cm, as case is designed for higher pressure max loads will surpass 260/6.5cm.
<span style="font-weight: bold">
But at what pressure cost?</span>

So based on loads most commonly used ie below max for all 3 the difference is negligible.
The choice is just personal preference not performance, however if i was building a Tactical rig...which mine is not
I think you make an important point here. You say your rig is not a tactical rig. I would concede that if we're not building a tactical rig, it's a different story entirely.</span>

Mag length issues prevent chasing lands or loading long to take advantage of those long sleek 6.5 bullets
I'm not one to chase lands so this is a non-issue for me. Also, I don't know that mag length is too much of an issue. After all, if the 243s can utilize the 115s, I don't think the 139's in the 260 is a huge problem.</span>

x47
OAL is none issue, load until bullet falls outta case and still feed from mag.

6.5cm
As i understand is also in this position and not killed by mag constraints impeding OAL, i dont have one just what ive read.

Now you can modify Mag and throat accordingly and make a 308 work @2.920 like a charm, no reason ya couldnt do same for 260.
If we base needs on standard throat and mags 260 is done.
Again, I'm not sure this is entirely accurate.</span>

x47 or 6.5cm?
off shelf ammo only user, i wouold go with 6.5cm

<span style="font-weight: bold">What's wrong with the 260 off the shelf ammo (Black Hills)?</span>

User reloads
best brass is? consensus says lapua
Hornady brass, no idea as to quality
308 i used lapua then switched to Win brass, capacity reasons and $$. Lapua is not cheap.
So quality would go to Lapua, cost issues hornady
Heres the kicker
Lapua brass x47 is good for 30 or so reloads, not my numbers but info from various shooters ETC
Hornady brass number of reloads, dont know i dont use it. I have read its softer than Win brass, good for 30 loads i doubt.

So whats my conclusion and this is just my thought process.
Downrange performance using standard loads
No clear winner

Tactical rifle standard mag OAL and throat
260 is loser
I still don't see how you justify this statement.</span>

Match rifle (single load only)
No clear winner

Brass
Lapua is best period, but $$ althou many report 2-3 times more reloads before tossing
Many 260 users use lapua 243 brass, still some just use Rem.
Hornady no idea if its like Win brass then thats a big bonus, however most compare it to federal brass a lil soft.
Conclusion...???
pick ya poison they all work, personal requirements/preference etc.

Now thats about as clear as mud, so those of you looking for a reason to select a cal for your next build ...sorry

<span style="font-weight: bold">I think you make some valid points, however on others I think you're way off base. For example, I completely agree that Lapua is better brass. But as I mentioned with my 243 I wouldn't use it due to the cost. Even if Lapua made 260 I wouldn't use it. I don't like leaving $50-$100 in brass laying on the ground every time I shoot a match.

I'm set on what I have and need. I'm staying with the 260. I have no doubt about the capability of the 6.5CM, but I don't see it as pushing the 260 out of the way yet. x47 is not even a contender because I shoot tactical matches. </span>

Determing factor in my selection?
easy my smith already had reamer, he is a sponsored Lapua shooter and has alot of load data for x47
lastly as stated my him
"that brass is the toughest brass he has ever used period"
Music to my ears as i tend to run HOT loads...done deal.

So those of you who say x47 is slowest, ck your numbers
can 260 or 6.5cm run 130 JLK 2975fps+ 28" barrel?
no ejector wipe easy bolt lift
Mark has run some crazy loads that i wont even try, he swears other than lil ejector wipe they are good...short brass life.

My choice was pert clear, yours may not be.
But dont base choice on downrange performance, there is no clear winner with standard pressure loads.

Only one of these was specifically designed for HOT loads running high pressure, running max loads there is only one clear choice....you decide
</div></div>

My final thought is I think it comes down to two factors. The first is what type of shooting you are doing, the second is what really floats your boat. The 6.5CM is the new kid on the block and is getting a lot of attention. Much of it deserved. But I'm not convinced that it blows the 260 away. I think the Black Hills from GAP is readily available, fairly inexpensive, and very accurate. So that's my direction.

YMMV

Also, I would be very curious how fast one could safely push the 123 scenar or the 120 berger in the 260. I would venture to say the performance may be riveting. Does anyone have that data?

For what its worth, I'm running 2- 6.5x47Lapua's. Both shoot the same load. 43 grains of Ramshot Hunter, CCI 450 primers, Lapua brass, and 139's.
I'm getting 2860 out of a 25" Lija and 2840 out of a 26" Rock.
Both are .5moa rifles with this load.

Since we are really interested in terminal performance vs preference for what ever reason
Still not seeing anything that 260/65.cm can do that a x47 cant.

Now as to my rig althou its not a tactical rig its is however built as one, manners stock, bartlien barel, badger DBM etc etc.
I would have no qualms using it as as tactical rifle. It will however be my F class open rig.

Again this is about terminal performance and i myself was side tracked..my bad

I stand by statement X47 will perform as well as any 260 or 6.5cm.
Yet i keep seeing posts from 260/6.5cm shooters saying x47 is weak. Kool post ya numbers

Jim thnx for the info, now if the 260/6.5cm guys will post we can compare something more than a passing comment.

Mike
here's a pic of my Non tactical rig

Karl, man thinking next new bbl time I turn my 260 into a 6.5x47 so I can get the better brass and have more room to chase the throat. That is a problem with 139-142 in 260. I bet I get another 100 rds of .50 moa or better performance.

Now which one 6.5C or 6.5x47 Crap you guys tell me

Makes sense to me I just have had a couple of 260s since before they where cool. LOL

Mike
Not seeing any fps data showing your 260 can do something a x47 cant, not trying to convince anyone to shoot x47 just want some info

unlike what you provided...

merry xmas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since we are really interested in terminal performance vs preference for what ever reason
Still not seeing anything that 260/65.cm can do that a x47 cant.

Now as to my rig althou its not a tactical rig its is however built as one, manners stock, bartlien barel, badger DBM etc etc.
I would have no qualms using it as as tactical rifle. It will however be my F class open rig.

Again this is about terminal performance and i myself was side tracked..my bad

I stand by statement X47 will perform as well as any 260 or 6.5cm.
Yet i keep seeing posts from 260/6.5cm shooters saying x47 is weak. Kool post ya numbers

Jim thnx for the info, now if the 260/6.5cm guys will post we can compare something more than a passing comment.

Mike
here's a pic of my Non tactical rig
</div></div>

Jedi,

I'm not sure where I said that the 260/6.5 can do something the x47 can't. What I gleaned from your statements was that the x47 blew the 260/6.5 out of the water. I agreed but conceded it did so with much more pressure, which is a factor I didn't want to deal with.

Also, when I refer to a "tactical" rig, I'm referring to one which will actually function is a "tactical" scenario, i.e., being thrown around, banged around, and rapid fires. I'm not into the "look" of being tactical. (this is not a reflection on your rifle, but a general statement)

Is it a fair comparison to load all three up to 60K and see how they perform there? Or better yet, load them to 50K and see what happens at that point?

I don't reload a 260. I shoot the Black Hills Ammo purchased from GAP. I'm not going to reload for the 260 or the creedmoor, or the x47. I'm going to buy loaded ammo and use factory loaded ammo performance as the basis for my criteria.

Mike

"The 6.5x47 has lesser ballistics than the .260 or Creedmoor"

That is the statement i,m trying to resolve, you didnt make it.

But the guy that did seems quite happy to plow on

"Yes it has to be pushed to high pressures to come close. The 6.5x47 has a slower muzzle velocity and it's upper end is in the standard velocity range with the .260 or Creedmoor".

Those are BS statements and as someone is asking for advise how to spend there hard earned $$...thinking they should read correct info.

Was hoping they would pony up but it appears that is not the case.

Still waiting for some data to back those statements or retract them so not as to mislead.

Did nt mean to imply if i did it was you, hoping they would do right thing.....still waiting

Jedi,
I am not taking sides in this argument but one thing a person also needs to consider is that even though I could push my 260 and my 6.5x284 faster neither rifle shot as well. This is also the case with my 6.5x55 shooting the 139s I can get damn close to what I was shooting with my 6.5x284 but its not as accurate. Now if I back it down to where its just a tad faster than my 260 was shooting the 140s it is deadly accurate and the barrel will last a lot longer than either the 260 or the 6.5x284, best of both worlds!!

I have found the sweet spot for most of my guns is below the max load (Other than a 243imp that I had). My 6.5x284 would push a 140 @ 3100fps with RL22 but the brass was junk after a firing or two. It really shot its best at around the 2970+ range.

Thats the one nice thing about reloading you can tune a load to your rifle. As I side note, I never worrid about the bullet in relation to the lands on my tactical rifles. The load had to shoot well from the mag length or I found a load that did.

No argument Bro
I did ask for normal loads as used, i posted mine and can provide supporting info.

The issue is stated above
Me i luv my M41B 6.5x55 is way to go on long action, not much init on 6.5-284

Tactical i load to mag length, in my modded mags that is 2.920.

Hey you guys
I see it now damn i ,m a retard
I have been adressing posts to Mike....there be two mikes on this thread
Tactical Mike and Mike Mike
It seems wrong Mike read and replied thinking it was him

wheres that damn egg nog LMAO

Merry Xmas guys
Sorry i didnt catch it earlier, my bad

issue still open
even sent Pm no reply as of yet

Damn thats funny i did same thing in my replies
crazy.gif

I made the statements and to tell you the truth I am sick of all these threads so here you go. The 6.5x47 is the king of all 6.5 short action cartridges. Hell ALL short action cartridges! You all should go out and get one and not even look at anything else. You should spend $100 for 100 pieces of brass and $55/20 for loaded ammo and be happy because it is a Lapua.

Happy Jedi?

And as I told Jedi in his PM, that he was complaining I didn't answer fast enough for his liking because I was spending time with my family on Christmas eve as I have to work 24 hours tomorrow, I am going to buy some JLK 130s with my own money and work up a load in the 6.5 Creedmoor just for him and keep him updated on my progress. It might be a little while though as I am busy but I'll do my best to be speedy for you Jedi.

ROB01
Ya missed the point, but you did succeed in making yourself look amazingly intelligent.

You quite clearly stated
Yes it has to be pushed to high pressures to come close. The 6.5x47 has a slower muzzle velocity and it's upper end is in the standard velocity range with the .260 or Creedmoor".

I,m ranting coz you gave someone looking to spend $$$ bad info and backed it with nothing. JUst post numbers for what you have shot that support your statement.

Not about x47 being king or have i not been clear on that?
You made a statement posted above as fact if its not then say so.

Trying to belittle the thread wont allow you side step issue, support it or retract n tell the guy so he dont base a purchase on BS info....so your not doing it for me.

I,m sick of guys posting crap like that about anything without facts to back it and you have none, or you dont want to post them?

So post data to reflect what you stated or retract it and inform the guy in other thread you may of been over zealous in your post
Personally I dont care what the numbers are if you can support them, nothing wrong with the 6.5cm just dont mislead someone.

Merry Xmas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jedi, what velocity do you get with 139s?

I dont think there is much difference between the 6.5x47 and 260 when it comes to the lighter bullets but a couple of guys with 6.5x47s told me they had trouble going 2800fps with 139s

</div></div>

Tactical Mike asked you that and you side stepped with the quote below but made a pertinent statement to the discussion in doing so:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My main load is 130jlk 41.5 h4350 2975fps @59k psi, pressure from Ql so no idea how accurate it is.
What i maintain is x47 can match 260 or 6.5cm, as case is designed for <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">higher pressure max loads</span></span> will surpass 260/6.5cm.
</div></div>

Not everyone wants to run light bullets and not everyone want to have to run on the upper edge of loads even if the case was designed for it because you can see problems when using a round like that when shooting tactical matches. Rifles get really hot and primers start to blow. Ask Mike he has had that happen. This is why you see most people running the heavier bullets in the 2800+ range because they run at a decent pressure but still give the down range ballistics you need.

As for the info I give to people spending their money, I am giving them info about an option that will allow them to shoot more and still get excellent down range ballistics at a good price. No matter if brass or loaded ammo, you can get approx twice as much for the Creedmoor than the 6.5x47 which relates back to more shooting practice making the shooter a better shooter. Even if both rounds were ballistically identical at same pressures why would you spend twice as much money to get the same results? That makes no sense for someone wanting to spend their hard earned money and even if I wasn't sponsored by Hornady, which I haven't always been and still traveled and shot, I would still take the best option as far as ballistics and money are involved becasue as a firefighter I'm not raking in millions.

As for my last post, it was made after a long day and I was very tired and not happy about being harped on for not answering fast enough. Some of what I wrote was written in the heat of anger and I appologize but I do intend on buying some JLK 130s and running them and I fully intend on letting you know the results but as I said it might be a while.

As expected another reply full of nothing

Tactical MIke
Question was answered by JIM
but i will clarify i can run 139scenar @ 2900fps pert easy, look at JIMs numbers I run a 28" barrel..enuff said
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim the Plumber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For what its worth, I'm running 2- 6.5x47Lapua's. Both shoot the same load. 43 grains of Ramshot Hunter, CCI 450 primers, Lapua brass, and 139's.
I'm getting 2860 out of a 25" Lija and 2840 out of a 26" Rock.
Both are .5moa rifles with this load. </div></div>

Light bullet in 6.5 are 120gr typically, heavy 140 or so.
130 falls in middle so not a light bullet

You quite clearly stated
Yes it has to be pushed to high pressures to come close. The 6.5x47 has a slower muzzle velocity and it's upper end is in the standard velocity range with the .260 or Creedmoor"

Now that reads to me like your stating a fact? if you are support it or correct your post.

Post data to support your statement, pert simple nothing more asked for
NO tap dance no gettin off topic, back it up or change info.

Not about saying 6.5cm is crap which i have not so you dont need to defend it just your statement, hope that is clear for ya.

Pony up and say its wrong and change it but now we come to crux of matter can you?

All i want is data supporting that statement.

Merry xmas

Merry Christmas and here's your present, I retract my statement about the velocities until my 130s come in as this seems to be your bone of contention with me and I will give you first hand information at that time as I have stated twice before here and in the PM. I've never had a problem saying I was wrong in all my years here and won't in this case if it proves out.

And no I wasn't stating my first hand info on it as I don't have a 6.5x47 but what I have read by someone who I strongly turst their opinion especially when it comes to 6.5mms, Zak Smith, in his comparison article where he stated:

"Factory ammunition for the 6.5x47 Lapua is down 100-150 fps versus the .260 and 6.5 Creedmoor, but an experienced reloader with a strong action can match or exceed their performance with hand loads due to the strong case design."

That reads as you need to use a strong action and the strong case design to work with the higher pressures needed to get the velocities up there.

Also I would hardly say my post was full of nothing as you brought up me somehow misleading the people spending their money and I just replied to it but if you would like to continue to be confrontational then I can do the same.

Rob
If your intent was to compare factory loaded then i would agree,as you didnt state then reloaded ammo should of been accounted for.

If ya really wanna run 130's pm your shipping address i will send you 20 or so for testing.

IMHO none of the 3 are really suited to run heavy bullets, but 130 is about perfect weight. JLK 130 BC is .620 if recall correctly.

Of the 3 as Wil just asked me only one i steered him away from was 260, x47 or 6.5cm based on issues he must decide.

I have no dislike for 6.5cm as stated several times but handloaded the difference is not as you stated.

Merry Xmas

My 24" 260 will run and i have the scarred bolt face to prove it. LOL

139's 2900fps
130 bergers 3000fps... easily
123's 3100...easily

not exactly what you were wanting though uh?

PM with address inbound

Damn Rob, you get free shit every time you turn around.

CKA
merry xmas bro
I do admit to having a motive for doing so, hoping he is suitable impressed with 130 to get Hornady to do 130Amax
IMHO its perfect weight for 260/6.5cm and x47 plus they would way cheaper than JLK or berger.

We have talked with Horandy about alot of loads that would be popular.

We asked them to load 178 Amax in 308
140 and 120 .260
208 Amax for the .300

The bottom line if there isnt a huge market base for it they will not shut down there presses from making the stuff tahts flying off the shelf for small run stuff!!

Its smart business if you think about it!!

So dont get your hopes even remotely up about 130gr bullets.

Must be a marketing flaw on bergers part then

My hope is to have Hornady produce a 130 gr bullet and also 6.5x47 brass.
That was my Xmas hornady sales pitch, not up to Team Blaster standard but i,m new to this.

Now that was funny

Guys,

Maybe I'll get told to take a hike, but I just thought I'd ask.

Theoretically at least, if not in fact, aren't there more accurate loads to choose from when you aren't pushing max pressures?

I believe P.O. Ackley referred to this attribute as flexibility?

Maybe I missed it, but I have not seen this mentioned in arguments for or against the three 6.5's.

Thanks

Seems like Hornady could just load 130 Amaxs and skip 2 different runs of 6.5CM w/120 and 140s!

Why not? Seems to me it would do a fine job for anything an AMAX wants to do.

No tactical shooter here, but having waxed a deer at 400 yds with 105 amax in my 6BR, I am watching the CM and the 47, having owned and still using 260 and 6.5x55.

I agree above, a 130 makes a great all around bullet wt. IMHO, closer to 140s w/o encroaching powder space and higher speeds can close gap w/slight drop in BC.

Just my .02.

If/When Lapua comes out with 260 brass, this debate may grow IMHO!

If we all used the same action length (say 3.1 oal), we might all be just shooting x55's and be done!

Love the debate....keep it going!

I've been looking to get a 6.5mm for some time now, and have been doing a lot of reading. It usually takes me awhile to make a decision when I'm spending custom rifle type of money. The way I look at it is the .260, 6.5x47 and the 6.5CM are all basically the same round. Each one has it's different perks, so choose what perks you like and go with it. I went with a 6.5x47 but won't have it until next summer. Cost can play a factor for some people. But if you're paying the big bucks to have a custom rifle you should be able to afford any of these three.

Now when I decided on the 6.5x47 I knew that a .260 MAY go faster with the 140 class bullets. But as far as I can tell we are talking what 50 fps? Most people will see close to that kind of swing in outside air temp, elevation change, or different barrels/chambers. So I don't see what the big deal is.

For ME I don't think that it's a good idea to operate at the max edge of pressure. But it seems that I interpreted the 6.5x47 having to operate at higher pressures a little differently. I'm not concerned with operating at higher pressures as long as that round has a higher Max pressure limit. So lets say the .260 has a 60k limit and to be safe we shoot it at 58k. Now the 6.5x47 has a 63k limit and we also shoot it 2k below the max at 61k. So yes I'll have to operate at a higher pressure to shoot the 140 class bullets at the same speeds. But I'll still be about 2k below max.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">260
Mag length issues prevent chasing lands or loading long to take advantage of those long sleek 6.5 bullets.</div></div>

Almost all calibers and rifles being considered for this thread are using some type of match chamber. 6.5x47Lapua and 6.5 Creedmoor are very new rounds meant to be used in competition and already have the chamber reamer specs tweaked in that direction. I would guess that 100% of the custom rifles on this site have chambers cut to a match or tweaked version rather than the SAAMI slop. The .260s are in that boat. A proper chamber will include a leade suited to the OAL of your bullet/round combination. All the .260s that go out of here can bump the lands and still be inside max mag length. Ditto for every other caliber chambered here. I was not the innovator in this thinking but would say that it is common practice among most accuracy oriented rifle builders.

Terry

Terry I trust you on this more than anyone else.

I am thinking of building either 260 or 6.5x47

I obviously hand load but dont wnat to spend every waking moment working on loads. I dont do that fo F TR and I wont do that for Tactical Comps

I have had great luck with 260 but wish I had Lapua Brass

I will only run 139 Scenars

What would you pick.

Mike,

For F class or any other KD/square range comps, the 6.5x47 may ever so slightly get my vote over the .260 Rem. 100% brass recovery. In fact, I'm going to do a batch of SENTINEL type rifles with bright gel coats in 6.5x47 in an attempt to target some of the F'ers.

For tact comps where wind direction and target distances are always a guess, I have to go with the .260 and Scenars. Tact comps usually mean very low percentage of brass recovery. RP stuff can shoot stupid accurate in the right chamber.

Both cartridges are very predictable and I can tell a customer what to load (for the chamber I cut) before the rifle is even built. So far, ditto for the Creedmoor.

PS: Trusting me with anything is questionable, but thanks anyway.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike,
.....in an attempt to target some of the F'ers.

Terry</div></div>

I busted out laughing when I read this. Talk about subliminal messages.

Thanks for the laugh Terry, intentional or not.

I would think with about 1 less wet grain case capacity than a 260, the Creedmoor might prove to be the best short action 6.5 round out there.

So after a couple of threads on this, it's still hard for people to decide.

Tactical MIke
As much as i like lapua stuff they dont make a 130, trust me i have Mr Pharr bending their ear on that.

But as they dont i shoot JLK 130's thou i have 400 bergers to try for comparison

130 is just perfect weight for all three rounds, IMHO

By preference i like to keep bearing surface of bullet above neck junction, that makes for a long OAL.

X47 can easy accomplish this @ 2.800, and althou its my F class rig i could use for tactical and mag feed without issue. I,m cheap so having a dual purpose rifle is more to my liking.

Performance difference between these 3 is negligible for a handloader, selection must be based on other factors specific to shooters needs.

Out of curiosity someone got OAL for 260 and 6.5cm loaded with bearing surface of bullet just above neck junction?

The fact Terry plans offering F class rifles in x47 validates my selection for intended purpose, so my thought process wasnt that f'ed up.