• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x47 vs 308

AtownBcat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2009
Aledo, Texas
I am working on a gun for my wife. I currently have a 700p in 308. It is a good shooting rifle usually just south of .5 MOA. I am however interested in building something for my wife to shoot with me so I am thinking about a rebarrel. I have heard alot of good things about the 6.5x47. This will be a do it all rifle paper, steel, and hunting. By the way it will have a manners stock and NightForce scope. What are some pros and cons between these two calibers? What is the maximum hunting range for both? Thanks.

Re: 6.5x47 vs 308

You can compare a 6.5x47/6.5 Creedmoor and a .260 Rem to each other, but there is no comparison to a .308. The above mentioned will hand the .308 it's own ass. Don't get me wrong as I am a huge fan of the .308.

Are you set up to reload?

Maximum hunting range depends on many variables and would depend a lot on the shooter, the animal being hunted, and the wind conditions.

If you're looking at or leaning towards the 6.5x47, I'd also recommend the 6.5 Creedmoor and also the possibility of a fast twist .243.

I think you're going to be impressed at the performance of the 6.5mm bullets. I have a couple of .308's and a .260 Improved...which has similar ballistics of the 6.5x47. Significantly less elevation and windage needed when shooting at longer distances...600+ yards.

Either round will serve you well when hunting is concerned. Guess it really boils down to shot placement, which is obvious. There's a fair amount of guys that take game with the 6.5x55 Swede...so the bullets are tried and true. As far as maximum hunting range...really depends on the shooter, bullet selection etc. With my .308 or my .260 Improved...I limit myself to @ 450 yards max. YMMV.

Good Luck...I think your wife will appreciate the 6.5 over the .308. I built my wife a 6mm Dasher....she's a little more recoil sensitive...but that round took a white tail at 225 yards last fall with no issues.

Wayne

The 6.5x47 will have noticeably less recoil due to using less powder & lighter bullets, but will deliver very similar downrange energy and much less drop & drift.

Con vs. 308? Can't buy loaded ammo & components "everywhere" and brass is more expensive.

I'm a 260 guy and the 120gr Nosler BT is devastating on whitetail.

Thanks for the replys. I made the original post on my phone so I left out a few details. First, I am a hand-loader so that wont be a problem. Second I should have specified a type of hunting. Im thinking more whitetail and I understand that the variables will come into play, but i guess what Im asking is. Fired the same time at the same target(animal in this case) will the 308 have a longer maximum kill range?
My load for the 308 is a 178g AMax, 47.5g of 2000-MR, and a BR2 primer. Im pushing them almost 2,700 so it is a pretty effective 308 round. I have a break on it so it is not bad as far as recoil goes. My wife is a newbe though and we all know about first impressions, I would like to give her something that is fun to shoot that will get the job done. If she shoots, I get to shoot more...lol

I also have a tikka t3 in 243 that I could do some work on, it is stock and has a POS scope on it. I just thought the heavier rifle would recoil less and when she sees that it has the same stock/scope as me, she will know I didnt give her grade "2" equipment..women are funny...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtownBcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replys. I made the original post on my phone so I left out a few details.... will the 308 have a longer maximum kill range?</div></div>

No.

I have a 6.5x47 built by Jon Beanland that is the most accurate rifle I own. Shoots in the low .2s with the 123 A-Max. I killed 2 deer this fall with this rifle. Both shots at 100yds, both ran 30yds, double lung shots.
I also have a Rem LTR in 308 that is a .5 MOA rifle. Much less $$ in this rifle. Killed 2 deer this fall with this rifle. Both shots at 160+yds, both ran 100yds, heart shot. 150grn Sierra Game Kings over 45grn Varget.
Less recoil on the Lapua, more accurate, must handload, lighter rifle.
The LTR is a great moderate cost rifle ($850), ammo available everwhere, slightly more recoil,
Coach

The 6.5s are the way to go in my opinion. Accuracy (generally), range, and they buck the wind better. The advantage of a .308 comes in the availability of the ammo, but you can get 6.5creed for around 25/box. If you handload then the x47 makes more sense, but comparing to a .308 is really apples to oranges.

I'd also look at 260- I think you're really debating any of the 6.5s vs. 308 since they all pretty similar ballistically. If you pick the 6.5s though, then you have a serious decision to be made, and there's pages and pages of debates and comparability data on here for that.

B.W.

I had my 6.5x47L at the range a month or two ago and a buddy of mine brought his 13 yr old daughter. She was shooting a 6" steel target at 500m and ringing it almost every shot. All she could say is "can I do it again?". 6.5x47L all of the way. Its accuracy is excellent and for recoil sensitive babies like me they are perfect.

If you do not reload, I would look at the 6.5 Creedmore. If you reload, I would go with the .260 over the 6.5X47 now that Lapua makes brass for the .260. The .260 brass is a little cheaper and you can get a little more velocity out of the .260.

I recently put a .260 conversion into my Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifle. After shooting the .260, I am sold on the 6.5 caliber cartridges. They shoot flatter, have less wind drift, have less recoil, and have more energy at distance than a .308.

With todays new cartridge technology does a .308 really have any place in long range tactical shooting / hunting?

Im a fan of .308 but only because I dont reload and match grade .308 is so easy to get and its much much cheaper than anything else.

Is that .308's only advantage in the game anymore?

Don't worry about the 6.5 bullets on deer, they do the trick without a problem. My favorite deer gun is a sporterized Swede 6.5 x 55 carbine, the gun was made about 110 years ago. The last two bucks I took were both about 320 yards away and the Accubonds made fast work of them.

Delivering lead accurately is so easy with the 6.5 x 47L as there is little recoil. You will be surprised how sweet it is to accurately hit paper at 1,000 yards (if available) and get a soft nudge for recoil. I run a LR F-class league and I always have my 6.5 x 47 L F-class rig with me in case there is a new comer that either is not set up for 1,000 yards or came as an observer so they get a chance to shoot a low-recoil gun and hit the black within a few shots unless the wind is ripping. That is a great way to give someone an introduction to shooting at 1,000 yards.

wade

I own a 308, (2) 6.5X47L and a 260 rem. While I appreciate what each does I would go with the 6.5X47L for your application. I am with the others the recoil of the 6.5X47L is very minimal.

Well I needed to resurrect my own old thread and ask one more question. All of you are big fans of the 6.5's, but I wanted to ask about elk. She is showing a little interest is going on an elk hunt and the unit will have over the counter tags. So my question is would the 308 be a better elk gun? I know there are variables and shot placement is key as usuall, but in general (400 yards and under) will the 6.5 (x 47 , 260, creedmore) perform on elk as well as a 308? I know this a totally different direction than the original question.

I asked myself a similar question before and went with a 6.5 Creedmoor and couldn't be happier. 6.5s over 308 because of higher BC bullets and more bullets choices with high BC. Over longer distances, a higher BC bullet will retain more velocity and energy than a lower BC bullet. Flatter shooting and lower recoil as well.

i have killed 4 elk with the .260 three were drt one despite being shot in the lungs took a while to recover.i have also hunted quite a bit with the .308 and believe it is a little more effective on an animal of that size,but every situation is different and i still think the .260 is a very capable elk rifle.