• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

PRS Talk 6.5x47 vs 6.5 creed for PRS

lukejr985

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2017
been shooting a 6.5 creed for a couple of years, just wanted to know if there is any advantage of running the x47 over the creed

advantage is the brass can last longer, if you dont lose it first...but its more expensive

performance wise its a wash, if you can/cant win with a 6.5x47, you can do the same with a 6.5creed

Yup basically a wash ballistically. No real advantage to changing.

yeah thats what i figured, reason i asked is i was hearing grumblings that the x47 was an inherently more accurate cartridge or what ever that means, i have enough 6.5 creed brass to last 5 lifetimes anyway. Rob reading some of you posts i noticed that you prefer a longer barrel, what speeds are you getting?

I run a 27" and a 28" barrel now. With the factory 140 ELD-M I am getting 2820fps and 2880fps, respectively. I have only run my handloads through the 27" for now and with the 140 ELD-Ms I am getting 2850fps and with the 147 ELD-Ms I am getting 2820fps. Both with H4350.

Never have. My match .243 I had built in 2004 had a 27" barrel and then I went to a 28" in 2008 with my first Creedmoor as that was the recommendation from Hornady that the Creedmoor was built around. That barrel was an MTU and a heavy bugger but still no issues getting around at all. Have climbed through many obstacles including the Rifles Only mousetrap and many others. Never had a problem. I would recommend a lighter contour though. I have a med palma on there now and it's much nicer to carry around.

yeah I'm considering doing one with a 28inch heavy palma barrel

Rob, what charge weight are you using for those speeds, i have a new 27" 47 and my 41g charge load of h4350 is avg 2800 with a 142 SMK.

I was in your position recently, OP. With the small rifle primer pocketed Lapua offering, the decision is a no-brainer. You have the advantages of the x47 Lapua, with the option of running factory ammo if need or want be.

I haven't yet ran into a comp shooter who has said they would be staying with the x47 Lapua when it's time to re-barrel. I know they've got to be out there, but I simply couldn't justify going with the Lapua.

I'm running a 28" heavy palma Bartlein. I haven't yet loaded my own ammo, but I am going to be shooting for pushing my 139 Scenars at 2950. If I get a node at 2900, I'd be good with that.

yeah I'm considering doing one with a 28inch heavy palma barrel

The heavy palma is a good contour but if you wanted to save some weight the med palma will work as well.

Rob, what charge weight are you using for those speeds, i have a new 27" 47 and my 41g charge load of h4350 is avg 2800 with a 142 SMK.

I am using 43grns of H4350 with Hornady brass.