• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5x47 vs 6.5x55

M.D.K.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
Pinedale WY
i was just curious why the 6.5x47 lapua is so much more popular that the 6.5x55 sweed? i only really see talk about the lapua, what the the advantages of going with the 47 over the 55??

Re: 6.5x47 vs 6.5x55

The case geometry is supposedly more inherently accurate, it's not as overbore so barrels last longer, and the brass is available in small primer pocket so you can push the cases a little harder.

The 47 fits well in a short action, the 55 doesn't.

Lapua makes brass for both cases so that's a toss up, as are the bullets and powders that are applicable for the 2.

Given my 'druthers I would shoot the 55 for the extra reach it can have.

I think the main advantage, and possibly the only real advantage of the lapua is that it can be used in a short action. Otherwise, the Swede has proven itself to be an excellent military/hunting/target round for over 100 years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i was just curious why the 6.5x47 lapua is so much more popular that the 6.5x55 sweed?</div></div>

The 6.5X47 may get a bit more ink on this forum, but if you look at ammo sales and reloading die sales, I'm confident the Swede wins hands down. Of course, it's been around for a <span style="font-weight: bold">long</span> time.

I shoot both and I believe the 47 has better inherent accuracy, I shot a match this weekend at 1,000 yards and the top two shooters were using 6.5 x 47 L (130 Berger VLDs), I came in second. We competed against the normal array of of SAUMs and WSMs and the wind was no issue Saturday but was on Sunday and 6.5L held reign both days.

If you must shoot 140's the 55 may prove to be the better round and then you might as well go up to 6.5 x 55 AI which is a ballistic twin to the 6.5 x 284. I think the case capacity of the 6.5L is too small for 139 and 140 grain bullets.

Barrel life on the 6.5L is good I just dropped my action and a blank to be re-barreled it had about 2,300 rounds and was set back at 1,700 rounds. The old barrel would no longer hold in the vertical and I was scoring some 8's and more 9's than I should have at 1,000 yards. I know there are people out there that claim 3,000 or better rounds out of the 6.5L, my experience is not that good. When I shoot F-class the barrels sometimes get smoking hot after 22 rounds if the conditions are right the 22 can be fired in an easy 5 minutes.

I think the 6.5L will get more use in F-class as time goes by, compared to the 6 mm BR we are just learning about the 6.5L. Benchrest shooters claim the 6mm BR is more accurate out to 600 yards and I do not dispute that for a very fast 5 shot group. In F-class we fire a shot the target gets scored comes back up for another shot etc. so we are taking shot over a wider range of time so the wind has a better chance of changing and the 6,5L has less drift the 6mm BR and this may make it the winner when the wind picks up. I also shoot the 6mm BR as a practice gun for better barrel life.

A long-winded reply and I focuses a lot on F-class as that is where my experience is with the calibers you mentioned, except for deer hunting for a long time with the old Swede.

Hope this helps,

wade

I have shot both of them a good bit. The 6.5x55mm Norwegian Krag is far more popular because it is chambered in so many more rifles. The 6.5x55 is extremely versatile but it will not fit into a Remington short action. To me, that is main downside of the round. It can be loaded to be a pup or serious long range round.

The 6.5x47 is all the round most people need in my opinion, but you do give up some velocity potential. It combines great accuracy, good velocity, and low recoil.

In terms of accuracy, I seriously doubt anyone can measure a significant difference in accuracy except when on the bench and it is still questionable there.

The 6.5x47 is not more popular than the 6.5x55 world wide. I'll bet the 55 outsells the 47 by at least 1000 to 1 in target/matchrifles.

We have a lot of experience with the 55 in Scandinavia in different targetrifles. In the old days the Krag ruled as "the" rifle. The Krag action is a weak one and therefore there is an interesting aspect missing in todays debate. Rounds for the Krag has to be loaded at even lower pressure than todays relatively low pressure 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser ammo. An "ideal" Krag low pressure match load is app 43/44gr VV N160 behind a 139gr Lapua Scenar with a mv of app 2600fps. The N160 works very well at low pressure. This low pressure Krag load almost duplicate the ballistics of a 220SMK@2650 out of a 300winmag. The Krag load will do this with a barrellife of app 6000 rounds.

I don't think you can push the 139gr Scenar out of the 47 at 2600+fps without a much higher pressure and decreased barrellife.

A 700sa can handle 6.5x55 full length by lengthening the magbox to the rear by removing the front ADL triggerguard sqrew. Take a look at Hansen 703 action: http://www.magnumhansen.com/laaskasser.htm

Hansen "700sa" 6.5x55 rifle:

http://www.magnumhansen.com/703 HTG 6,5x55.htm

Hello!
TorF I have just placed an order on a Hansen 702RT Links from Roger, what do you have to say about that action, is it a good piece of work or what?
I´m just woundering a little of the quality etc...

Best Regards
Tommy

Hi,

The Hansen action is top quality.

Hansen jr and sr are very good gunsmiths.

Regards
Torf

I have them both and love them both. Guess I love all the 6.5's. They are 100% BADASS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the main advantage, and possibly the only real advantage of the lapua is that it can be used in a short action. Otherwise, the Swede has proven itself to be an excellent military/hunting/target round for over 100 years. </div></div>
It's also a mystery to me. I shoot several 6.5X55's and they are all extemely accurate. Additionally brass for the 6.5X55 is widley available from several makers and not as costly.