• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x47 with 123amax??

Rog2069

Baconator
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2017
Upstate South Carolina
Anyone have any load data that led to positive results?? Have a BUNCH and would like a decent starting point on what has worked for others. Thanks

I used RL17 /CCI 450s behind the 123 Amaxes. EXPLOSIVE expansion at distance out of an 8 twist, and impressive velocity. I was close to my H 4350 load, as I recall (work up) 40-41 grains, velocity was 3000-3050 I believe. I will dig around and see if I can find my old notes... It was a slighltly oversize chamber and was getting towards the end of its life. That was 2 barrels ago. It definitely Put the whoopass on coyotes though... softball size exit on a broadside shot @375-400. I have a few boxes left, contemplating making a walking varminter/light hunting rifle and using them for same. Good luck with your adventure. Great bullet (never did buy the hype of melting tips when hornady redesigned the amax line- even moreso with the bullet blowups that are going on with the new design)

Reactions: Rog2069
I’ve never hunted with amax bullets due to mixed reviews and I generally hunt with a .30 anyway but that’s pretty dang cool! Would be nice to have a fast moving low recoil round that does a lot of damage!! Lmk if you find your data, very interesting sir

I am not familiar with this combo but are you sure he can put that much powder behind a 123 in a 6.5 x47 Lapua? I have a Creed and that amount of powder would crunch pretty good. Not saying your wrong just double checking.
Good catch. I was looking at Creedmoor, not x47L.

I just got off graveyard shift when I wrote that post.

unnamed.png

I use 42.9 of R16 under 130's and it crunches a tad in Prime brass. I'm sure one could do 43-44 of R16 with a shorter 123gr bullet.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
Im using the 120 amax for coyotes in my 6.5x47. 42 grains of H4350 and a Remington 7.5 primer.