• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x47L vs 6.5 Creedmoor

ShortShooter1908

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2018
Central Ohio
Dimensionally they are very similar. I have not compared shoulder angle. As far as performance, is there much of a difference?

Agree with above post. There are those who will say the 6.5-47 is more “efficient “, and MAY pack a tiny accuracy advantage. Those are minutia that are lost on me. Just repeating what I’ve been told. I don’t reload much, so 6.5CM is a no brained for me. If I reloaded constantly, like I should, or want to, I might explore other rounds. Idk though, the 6.5CM has been awesome for me.

Reactions: ShortShooter1908
I’ve shot thousands of round through both. I can’t tell you exactly why, but I pick up the x47 over the creed nearly every time when I go to the range. I think it’s because I don’t want to use up my h4350 and am still subconsciously affected by the powder shortage back around 2007ish when I first got started with Creedmoor. H4350 was unicorn powder back then but I had a line on the powder for my x47 so I didn’t mind blowing through rounds with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: regnar375
I went with the 47 because of the Lapua brass; back in ‘14 before they started making it for CM. I’d never shoot a CM simply because the 47 works so well for me. For me, it’s about not fixing something that ain’t broken. Starting from scratch though, flip a coin

I've had both and will likely always have both. If one is more accurate than the other I'm certainly not capable of shooting the difference.

The last barrel I ordered was for 6.5 Creedmoor. I went with it because quality brass including Lapua is now available for it, but I can also buy cheaper brass for hunting/plinking. Options are always good to have and you can adjust the cost to align with the desired application.

With x47, you have one source last time I checked. It's a great source, but you are limited.

Other things like reloading dies are offered in a wider spectrum for the Creedmoor also.

I have both. The x47 seems to be more efficient in my two examples. I can get the same speed out of my x47 with a full grain less of powder.

I really like my x47, its been a great shooter for the three years ive had it now. But if I were to start from scratch today, I would probably go for the creedmoor just to have more components available.

I've had a couple x47 barrels. Neither one of them shot up to expectations, for whatever reason. I'm really intrigued by the 47, and i personally believe its a slightly better cartridge,but I'm considering doing the creed thing next time. More brass, factory ammo if desired, the creed off the shelf reamers don't have tight necks, and Lee offers a collet die (my personal favorite neck die).

I've had a couple x47 barrels. Neither one of them shot up to expectations, for whatever reason. I'm really intrigued by the 47, and i personally believe its a slightly better cartridge,but I'm considering doing the creed thing next time. More brass, factory ammo if desired, the creed off the shelf reamers don't have tight necks, and Lee offers a collet die (my personal favorite neck die).

I have a Lee collet die for my 47. If you call Lee they will make one for you.

I sent them a fired and sized case. I can't remember the exact turnaround time but it wasn't long at all.
Really nice folks at Lee.

I went x47. The Creedmoor "should" be faster but whenever I compare my x47 to friends' Creedmoors I seem to get the same or slightly better velocity with less powder. Both are great choices though.

I enjoy both: the Creed for hunting and the x47 for range. If you hand-load x47, and Creed ammunition available most every place.

I started with the X47 because at the time they were the only ones who had Lapua brass. Remington sucks and hornady isn't as good. We have found that the 47 seems to have a lot more loads which work really well and a lot less fiddling. So if you reload its a good one to pick. If you're buying factory ammo the 260 or the creed is the way to go. All 3 are a good pick for accuracy and useablity. I load my own and prefer the 47.

Frank

Hawaii dont bring too many of special rounds ie. Creedmoor i sold few creed here including 6 creed...completely abandoned creed and im on 4th barrel and build x47

While i don't have a 6.5cm i went with 6.5x47 for Lapua brass. But i will say it seems like everywhere you got 6.5x47 is basically the 6BR equivalent of reloading for the 6.5. It just shoots with little to no load development. I've got two of them and they just always hammer. Having said that there is Alpha, Lapua, and ADG brass now for 6.5CM. Ultimately if reloading i'd go X47 and if shooting factory 6.5CM.

Reactions: BallisticPrimate