• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x47Lapua Brass PREP question...

On lapua brass I use a sinclair expander to iron out the case mouths and set neck tension. Then chamfer inside and out, load and shoot.

I size, chamfer and clean every piece of new brass excepting Nosler.

Nosler is already 100% for you.

Even expensive RWS, Lapua and Norma are not quite ready yet.

I'm just getting ready to load 6.5x47 for first time. Have new rifle, 300x Lapua brass and dies should be here tomorrow--so no experience with this specific brass. On my other calibers when using virgin Lapua, Norma or RWS, I'm pretty simple, chamfer/ deburr flash hole, chamfer and size neck, and shoot.

I run mine through a Redding FL S die with bushing, just get the necks uniform.

Sinclair sells expander mandrels in varies sizes. I just run each new case once through the die. I do use a little redding dry neck lube. Very quick operation. This will straighten out the case mouth and open it up a bit, also sets equal tension.

I run the Lapua brass through my Redding die as some come with damaged necks from shipping.

Chamfer the necks, de-burr flash holes and uniform primer pockets, load and shoot.

load n go

flash holes are drilled vs punched so flash hole needs no attention IMHO

trigger time makes you a batter shooter, not brass prep

popapi,

As avidflyer has already recommended, we do suggest running new cases ofer an expander mandral. The reason behind this is that the cases can get dinged up or knocek out of round during shipping, and this will restore them back to being good and round, as well as uniforming them across the board. You do not need to chamfer or deburr our new brass, and AMU testing has actually found this to be counterproductive in many instances. You do not need to size new brass, and (again) there's a potential for introducing new problems in some cases. Flash hole deburring is entirely optional, but personally, I think it's a waste of time in our cases.

I straighten any dinged necks, then chamfer, and load. Usually for me, the first firing seems to be the most accurate.

I really thought my Forster full length die would be enough Guys, looks like I'll buy a expander mandrel....Thanks I wholeheartedly appreciate the info!!!!!

Last edited: