• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x47Lapua reloading help/SAMMI Specs

Hasgun Willtravel

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2007
Ionia County, MI
Does anyone have one of those nifty illustrations of the SAAMI specs for the 6.5x47 Lapua.

I think I have a shoulder issue, I am getting a stiff bolt close, and the bolt is "pop" when I lift the bolt, just past the begining of the cam. I am using Forster Dies, and have it screwed all the way in against the shell holder, and getting this.

I screwed the die in about a 1/4 turn more, and get a slight over-cam on the handle, but I still get the same feeling in the bolt...

There is 3 firings on the Brass. OAL is 1.839 of the case. Base is .469, neck is .274.

Please Advise

Re: 6.5x47Lapua reloading help/SAMMI Specs

You might have a die/shell holder combo that's causing your brass not to be sized enough.You could sand down the top of the shell holder a few thou for a quick fix as an experiment to see if that's the problem.Or order that Redding shell holder set that enables you to size .002 deeper per each shell holder.Sinclair has them.

Steve

Hopefully this link works. If not check out the 6.5 mm and up forum on 6mmbr.com. The 6.5x47 diagram is sticky at the top.

Dimensions are metric. Hope this helps.

http://6mmbr.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=1056446.

I had a similar problem and was given some good assistance from the folks here:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...956#Post1193956

Ultimately by lowering the sizing die slightly and better application of lube to the neck ID solved my problem.

Everyone so often the expander ball would grab the neck more than I thought it should. A good cleaning and consistent lube application helped. I think I'll send my sizing die to Forster to hone the ID and eliminate the expander ball completely.

A case mic would also help identifying shoulder bump, but I haven't experimented with this yet.

Good luck!

You might have a die/shell holder combo that's causing your brass not to be sized enough.You could sand down the top of the shell holder a few thou for a quick fix as an experiment to see if that's the problem.Or order that Redding shell holder set that enables you to size .002 deeper per each shell holder.Sinclair has them.

Steve
You can use a .308 die and that will or should size the base better.

I had the same problem with my forster 6x47 and 6br die. I used my drill press and chucked a flat grinder that i found at home depot and ground it down. I use Redding competition shell holders so gringing those was not an option.

David