• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x55 / 6.5x47 lapua

flims

Rifletalks.com
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2008
UK
www.rifletalks.com
im looking into having one tactical rifle built. now that Mcrees is also available in europe i can think about this. I was looking at these two calibers, i love the 6.5mm calibers and im after launching 139scenars. the 6.5x55 will probably allow for 120ft/s more velocity but requires a long action.

i want a Surgeon action for this project but my gunsmith said that there is no surgeon action that would take a repeater 6.5x55 unless i take the XL. in this case should i go for the 6.5x47lapua so i can use the short action or do you guys recommend another tactical action that can accomodate the 6.5x55 and has the same features as the surgeon?

Brass is readily available from Lapua so thats a plus in both calibers and match ammo is also available in both though the 6.5x55 match is underloaded because of the old rifles in which these are sometimes chambered. i will be loading my own though.
suggestion on action?

Re: 6.5x55 / 6.5x47 lapua

Your other option is use a stiller long action for 6.5x55.

I have opted for 6.5x47 on a surgeon myself and am looking to use Berger 130's......................I new if I bought a long action I would opt for something more powerful and ruin the intent of this project. Easy on Barrels, accurate long range practice rifle.

I have a 6.5 x 55 in a small ring 98 mauser action. Love it, however I think it is a little bit of a bastard cartridge in that it is to long for a SA and to short for a LA. If it were me I would choose the 6.5x47 and get a short action Surgeon.

All my custom built match rifles (including my Terry Cross built 6.5x55 Match Rifle) are built on Winchester actions.

Don

Don't know of another action with the Surgeon features, but plenty of great actions out there. The Stiller TAC action would be a good one, even though it doesn't have an integral lug (its pinned) or rail.

The 6.5 x 47 would be my pick anyway, though I personally think it is better suited for the 123 Scenars.

flims,

I would contact Surgeon and ask them about a long action that may be coming out soon. I had asked them about a lighter weight surgeon XL and they replied that they will be coming out with a long action with built in rail and recoil lug. They would not recommend it for a .338 Lapua, but it should work with your 6.5x55. They told me in December that they hope to have it out in 4 months.

I myself went with a surgeon short action in a 6.5x47 Lapua.

How about 6.5X47 Improved? Should get you close to X55 performance. Fire form commercial brass.

does the templar have an integral recoil lug and rail like surgeon?
do they run along the same lines in terms of field functionality and tolerances?
cheers guys

The Templar does not have an integrated recoil lug. It has slightly tighter tolerances but is every bit as reliable. But what it does give you is a better option to shoot a LA caliber. So you have to ask yourself what do you want to shoot and what is it worth to shoot it?

Phoenix Machine http://www.boltactions.net/products.php I don't know too much about them yet but I am going to try to tour the plant when I get over that way.
There is a new ar15 upper and lower manufacturer over that way too, Sonju. I have
seen a few lowers and they look nice, no reports yet. Anyway Phoenix uses a bolt
made in Oregon on their complete actions from what I read . I think it is these guys

http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/products/parts/remington.htm#bolts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Phoenix Machine http://www.boltactions.net/products.php I don't know too much about them yet but I am going to try to tour the plant when I get over that way.
There is a new ar15 upper and lower manufacturer over that way too, Sonju. I have
seen a few lowers and they look nice, no reports yet. Anyway Phoenix uses a bolt
made in Oregon on their complete actions from what I read . I think it is these guys

http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/products/parts/remington.htm#bolts</div></div>

^^^ Is who makes the Templar custom action for GAP. They are built to George's exact specifications and are top quality. So why not have a rifle built on this excellent action built by one of the top gunsmiths?

In Europe, you can get the Tikka T3 Varmit in 6.5x55. Then talk to Roedale about tricking it out if needed. The T3 is a "long action", and in my sporter, gives plenty of room to seat the bullet out to the lands....I just wish I could get the heavy barreled version stateside!

Why not check out the SAKO 75 IV action? Magazines are expensive but very well built.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Will Fennell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In Europe, you can get the Tikka T3 Varmit in 6.5x55. Then talk to Roedale about tricking it out if needed. The T3 is a "long action", and in my sporter, gives plenty of room to seat the bullet out to the lands....I just wish I could get the heavy barreled version stateside! </div></div>

Will is right, go with the Tikka or my favorite, the R93 Blaser. I am topping 2900fps w/Berger 130's and a modest load of 50.0gr of VV N560 with my 22.5" semi-weight R93 barrel in 6.5x55SE.

I badly wanted to go 6.5x55. But I wanted to go AICS more, I was told the 6.5x55 would not work with the AICS chassis, so I ended up going with the 6.5x47.

I would be pretty dissapointed to find out differently.

i want to use the Mcrees folding stock so no factory gun besides i really dont like the Blaser's look. If i had to go with a factory it would have been something like the B&T APR,same kind of modular stock and readily available down the road as its made here in swiss.

the action has to be something along the lines of the surgeon but if i dont get the long action version than ill stick to the 6.5x47lapua.
How's the latter on powder? Which vihtavouri might work best? thats the easiest i can come by. the barrel should be around 28" cut for 139scenars.

You can quite easily adapt a SA700 to accept full length 6,5x55. The mag opening can be opened to the rear by removing the forward sqrewhole to the ADL triggerguard. A Norwegian gunsmith do this on a regular basis and he also make custom "SA700" actions for the 6,5x55.

Take a look at the "703" action:
http://www.magnumhansen.com/laaskasser.htm

Here's a picture of a "SA700" fifle i 6.5x55:
http://www.magnumhansen.com/703 HTG 6,5x55.htm

Hansen also make the 703/"SA700" as a WSM repeater with custom mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flims</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i want to use the Mcrees folding stock so no factory gun besides i really dont like the Blaser's look. If i had to go with a factory it would have been something like the B&T APR,same kind of modular stock and readily available down the road as its made here in swiss.

the action has to be something along the lines of the surgeon but if i dont get the long action version than ill stick to the 6.5x47lapua.
How's the latter on powder? Which vihtavouri might work best? thats the easiest i can come by. the barrel should be around 28" cut for 139scenars.

</div></div>

I have not used Vihtavouri powder. I do have a Surgeon Scalpel in 6.5x47L and I run the 139 scenar behind 37 grains of RL 15 on a 26 inch Krieger and it leaves the muzzle at 2830. I am at sea level and tested at near 80° F.

I re-read my post, and I sound a bit like a mongoloid, what I meant was, there would be issues with the AI mags, was told you have to go .308 or 300 Win mag, no intermediete mag options at this time.

Nick

It is too early to be sure if the load will continue to be accurate but I have been using RE 17 with 139 gr Scenars in my 6.5 X 47 and getting 3000 fps. Same as my 6.5 X 284's and 6.5 HTG's. Accuracy is similar to the 6.5 X 284's but I have a very limited number of rounds through the rifle with this powder so far, only about 150 rounds. I previously had been shooting 123 gr scenars with H4350 at a top end of 2950 fps.

If this combination is consistently accurate I will not be making any more 6.5 X 284's, it's just too early to tell. Seems like it should increase barrel life, I only get about 1000 rounds out of a 6.5 X 284 barrel.

This combination could make a short action 6.5 X 47 very appealing.

On a side note the RE 17 has also given me 3280 fps out of 6XC's and 6 X 47 lapuas with 105 gr scenars. It also doesn't seem to be the top end yet.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I badly wanted to go 6.5x55. But I wanted to go AICS more, I was told the 6.5x55 would not work with the AICS chassis, so I ended up going with the 6.5x47.

I would be pretty dissapointed to find out differently.</div></div>

When you say this are you saying the SA Chassis? Because the caliber has nothing to do with a chassis system as the AICS comes in both short and long actions. You could easily use a LA AICS for the swede.

Also, Lawton Machine has a rifle for sale here that is a Swede in a Short Action. So you may be disappointed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I badly wanted to go 6.5x55. But I wanted to go AICS more, I was told the 6.5x55 would not work with the AICS chassis, so I ended up going with the 6.5x47.

I would be pretty dissapointed to find out differently.</div></div>

When you say this are you saying the SA Chassis? Because the caliber has nothing to do with a chassis system as the AICS comes in both short and long actions. You could easily use a LA AICS for the swede.

Also, Lawton Machine has a rifle for sale here that is a Swede in a Short Action. So you may be disappointed.</div></div>

No, I was going to go LA chassis, was told mags do not support an inertermediate cartridge like a 6.5 Swede...If Lawton does mag conversions or some sort of modding, dissapointing will be the nice way of stating things

the op wants a Surgeon action, why try to talk him out of it?
The way I see it, a Surgeon Repeater in a Scott McCree stock in 6.5X 47 L shooting 139 scenars . what more would you want? That will shoot easy to 1000 and probably to 1200 pretty well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longrange4me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is too early to be sure if the load will continue to be accurate but I have been using RE 17 with 139 gr Scenars in my 6.5 X 47 and getting 3000 fps. Same as my 6.5 X 284's and 6.5 HTG's. Accuracy is similar to the 6.5 X 284's but I have a very limited number of rounds through the rifle with this powder so far, only about 150 rounds. I previously had been shooting 123 gr scenars with H4350 at a top end of 2950 fps.

If this combination is consistently accurate I will not be making any more 6.5 X 284's, it's just too early to tell. Seems like it should increase barrel life, I only get about 1000 rounds out of a 6.5 X 284 barrel.

This combination could make a short action 6.5 X 47 very appealing.

On a side note the RE 17 has also given me 3280 fps out of 6XC's and 6 X 47 lapuas with 105 gr scenars. It also doesn't seem to be the top end yet.

John </div></div>

Send or Post your load data. Many of us would be happy to check it out.
with RL 15 the bolt was hard to open at 37.5gr. And it did not get to 2900.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the op wants a Surgeon action, why try to talk him out of it?
The way I see it, a Surgeon Repeater in a Scott McCree stock in 6.5X 47 L shooting 139 scenars . what more would you want? That will shoot easy to 1000 and probably to 1200 pretty well.</div></div>

The reason we are offering alternatives is that the XL action for a Swede is a tad overkill both for capabilities and cost. See in his last line where it says "suggestion on action"? That means he's asking for opinions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flims</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i want a Surgeon action for this project but my gunsmith said that there is no surgeon action that would take a repeater 6.5x55 unless i take the XL. in this case should i go for the 6.5x47lapua so i can use the short action or do you guys recommend another tactical action that can accomodate the 6.5x55 and has the same features as the surgeon?

suggestion on action?</div></div>

He needs to get the 6.5x47L and not the Swede. I am totally biased. I cannot see how he can do better than putting a regular Surgeon Short action repeater in a McCree Stock. Get a 8.5 twist Krieger finish at 26 inch and he will get all he needs. the next step is the .338 or the Chey tac.
Answering the guys question is just leading him in the wrong direction. See?

The Swede is a sick round, and I have been shooting it for years, and feel like its making a resurgance, with good reasons.

The 6.5x55 can smoke any other cartridge in the 6.5 family. The swede produces better velocities than the 6.5x47, at much lower pressures. I have tried many of them, and proof is in the testing. The 6.5x284 doesnt do anything that my 6.5 swede dont. I was sickened at the hype.

I am afraid I will be in the same boat, with the 6.5x47, but I will like the short action, slightly cheaper to shoot, less powder capacity, but I really put my foot in it, with the small rifle primers, wich are fucking impossible to find right now...

Exactly. The ability to feed from the short action, the standard 308 mag is key.
Mike, After you get your rifle built I will help you get a load set up for it. But I doubt an extra 300 fps is going to out shoot mine even out to 1k. I even have some brass for you.

Have you looked at the Tikka 695 action? They're no longer made but lots of them floating around. They're mag fed and the bolt is silky smooth.

I had Mac Tilton (MT Guns here in the states) build me a 6.5x55 using one and it shoots very well. I've seen 3100+ fps using the 139s. I opted for a wood stock, but he said he could put it in a McMillan if I wanted to.

Tikka003.jpg

thanks for all the replies, i will stick with the 6.5x47 and surgeon SA, that way keeping the costs to a moderate level especially because i want to top up the project with a s&bPM2 4-16. im thinking 28" for the barrel with M.brake of the same contour as the barrel with flutes.

i can get krieger or Border Barrels and since it will be built in the UK border is also next door. The Final thing will probably cost somewhere around 2500 sterling which i believe is significantly over what you pay in the USA for a custom rifle. that does not include the optics and mounts and still more cash required for 200 lapua cases dies etc

I would get the Krieger in 8.5 twist and #9 contour. It is 27 in blank and will finish at 26 inch. I don't think 28 will add much velocity.
Good luck with your build please keep us updated as you can.

So what would it take to get a T3 Varmit in 6.5x55 (or another of the several calibers that currently aren't imported) in the US? Is a special order through a dealer possible? Anyone here have contacts at Beretta?