• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x55 AI Anyone?

Ltdshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2007
Michigan
Hey... Just wondering if anyone has some time with this round. I know most will say go with 6.5x284 or maybe the 260 AI but a good friend wants to do a build using this caliber and I'm going to help him through it and could use some advice from those that have done it / been there. Thanks in advance.

Re: 6.5x55 AI Anyone?

Not sure there is any real reason to go with the AI.
The 6.5x55 is an awesome round and will step on the heels of the 6.5x284 when loaded to modern pressures in modern firearms.

Unless he is looking to exceed about 1300 yards, I don't really see the benefit of the improved 6.5x55.

JMO though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure there is any real reason to go with the AI.
The 6.5x55 is an awesome round and will step on the heels of the 6.5x284 when loaded to modern pressures in modern firearms.

Unless he is looking to exceed about 1300 yards, I don't really see the benefit of the improved 6.5x55.

JMO though. </div></div>

This..

6.5x55 is an awesome round all by itself, doing what the "in thing" 6.5's are now.. years ago. I've been sorely tempted to get one lately.

I'm with you guy's but this fellow wants something different so he is settled on the AI version.

My gunsmith shoots 6.5x55 Improved aka "6.5 Hellcat" and he says it is the way to go. He has built several world record rifles so I'd listen to his opinion. Contact Ray Bowman at Precision Rifle and Tool in Mebane, NC (336-214-5381) and he will take care of you.

I think the 6.5x55 has a lot to gain with an ackley chamber. The case has a lot of body taper and will then pretty mach the 6.5x284 with the cheaper brass Lapua has to offer. Also the standard 6.5x55 grows a lot and requires frequent trimming, a non issue in AI. I would do it and not look back. I have the 260AI and it really isn't more work at all. Go ackley and don't look back I say.

What kind of velocity increase are we seeing in the AI Swede?

I love the 6.5x55 but it takes a slightly larger bolt face than a standard cartridge. It is smaller than a magnum cartridge too. It is a bastard size. If you open up your standard bolt to accept it you can never go back if you want to re-barrel to a standard cartridge in the future.

I have a 6.5 x 55 AI and use for 800-1000 yard F-Class matches and it does it job well when I do mine. Why did I go with the 6.5 x 55 AI?
- Lapua's cheapest brass
- The fire forming rounds were accurate enough to compete with so there was no wasted barrel time
- The neck is longer then the 6.5 x 284 and can acheive the same velocities
- The shoulder on the AI slows down the neck growth so I do not have to trim the cases as often

Yes the rim diameter is a little greater than our standard .473 but there is usually enough clearance so you do not have open the bolt face up at all.

I like the improved Swede enough that I just ordered the next barrel blank to have another barrel installed on my F-class rig. I mean what is not to like about the round.

wade

brass and ammo is so much cheaper for the 6.5x55 Swede than almost any other long range capable cartridge. The Ackley Improved version can simply be made by fire forming commercial ammo in your AI chamber at the range. That ammo is running less than a dollar a round and will give you lots of inexpensive practice. If I didn't already have THOUSANDS of 260 and 260AI pieces of brass, I would go the 6.5 Swede/Ackley Improved route.

6.5x55 in the middle, 6.5 AI on either side

VAISCASES001.jpg

After reading some of this stuff and also getting information from other resources I think I may have to build one of these for myself!

Sorry about reviving an 8 month old thread but can anyone tell me the differences in the various improved Swedes? I know there is the Ackley Improved, BJAI, Vais and others but can't find any details. I asked PT&G for reamer prints but they wouldn't give them up. I assume they are proprietary designs.

300WL-

Your correct in all the variations but I would say not to over think it. Quality die availability would be my first concern and it would end there for me.

I agree with all who in favor of the AI version and their reasons. You're wildcatting already and it just gets more difficult and expensive the further out on the edge you go to a point of diminished returns.

This is a round I have been considering for a build myself for a while. I have another 6.5x55 in a win 70 featherweight so I already have some brass... My issue is that I don't know anything about reloading yet. I bought a kit not too long ago but haven't built my bench to get it all set up yet.

Is this going to be too much for me to bite off to start with??? Should I just build a 6.5 creedmoor and forget this project for now?

Sorry... Don't mean to highjack the thread!

I have shot a 6.5x55 for over 15 years taken lots of animals with 1 shot kills out to 700 yards. I load mine with 46.5 g Varget 120g Nosler balistic tips, muzzel velocity is just under 3050 fps and it prints tiny 1/4 to 1/2 MOA groups. I wouldn't bother with the AI versiion myself when you load the case to its full capacity in a modern action the little Swede is a sweet shooter. My barrel is a 1-9 twist as I wanted it for the 120 and 130g bullets. If I was going to the 140's I would use a 1-8.5 or 1-8 twist. good luck with your project.

I shoot a 6.5x55 GW. It is an improved version developed by one of the gunsmiths at Kelbly's. I wanted to give it a try since there had been several BR and F-Class shooters having success with it. It is an extremely accurate cartridge and simple to fireform for.