• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x55 AI

ertlonggun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2007
Central Oregon Coast
I just picked up a rem 700 long action and have been wanting to build a 6.5x55. It is a ADL 30-06 made in 1968, and paid $50.00 for the whole weapon.

Has anyone used the 6.5x55 AI of the 6.5x55 BJAI. I have read that some prefer to 30 to 33 degree shoulder vs the AI 40?

I will be using a 26" to 28" barrel in a 1-8.5.

Re: 6.5x55 AI

All of that is a terrible idea, you should sell the whole rifle to me for $100. I'll do you a favor and let you recover your money...

On Topic:

Feeding the shallower shouldered versions tends to be easier over the 40* shoulder. I can't say from first hand on the x55 case though, just on the x57 case (6mm Rem AI) which took a little tweaking to get it to feed well from the stock Rem feed rails. It was a very simple fix that was accomplished in less than 5 mins of actual Dremel work.

I have a reamer for a 6.5 x 55 AI with a 40 degree shoulder that cut a chamber on my F-class gun that is very accurate, 3050 fps is easy. I single feed so I do not how it feeds. I put it together to compare to the 6.5 x 284 with a longer neck hoping for a longer barrel life and I have not shot it enough to see if I will get more life. Lapua brass is available and pretty cheap for the quality. Worried about feeding build the parent cartridge and push it to modern pressures and you will not be losing much over the improved chambers.

wade

A 6.5 at 3000+ fps in not going to have appreciable barrel life over another 6.5 at 3000+. YMMV

Order a second barrel when you get the rifle from the gunsmith. Then you can be ready to switch it, when the new barrel comes in.

Good luck

Jerry

I have shoot a lot of 6,5x55 AI in a Huskvarna 1640 action (small ring mauser)but I altered the feeding lips of that gun.
But I have rebarreled a number of other actions to the 40 degree version as well without any problems.
Only action that I off hand would not use is the Sako 75 action, that action doesent like the 40 degree at all.

Håkan

I've built a lot of 6.5X55 Ack Imp. Good round. You won't have any feeding problems in a long action. The only thing that may help is to tweek the feed guides located on either side of the rails up front. The straight case really doesn't need much to align the round with the chamber.