• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x55 over 260Rem

Re: 6.5x55 over 260Rem

in the Tikka i would choose the 6.5X55 every time it is a better cartrige than the 260 especialy when the rifle is a long action get the 6.5X55

Its a wash for what is better, they use the same powders, same bullets, same primers.

Lapua brass is readily available for the 6.5x55 and is among the cheapest brass that Lapua sells. I would go 6.5x55. Its a great cartridge, and have owned many over the years, and never had one that wasnt a tack driver, even the old M96, they are all accurate as hell.

I went with the Tikka 6.5 Swede, and have no regrets. Ya the stock is kinda gay, but there are other options. I would be tempted to try a Tikka in a .260 if they would import them.

It depends on the action, is it a t3 then 6.5*55 is the way to go.

Love the round shots great, low recoil and cheap(in sweden).

The only down side is in my opinon is the bolt trow, compared to a real short round like the 260. But then agin im short and like short actions.

If one dones a T3 build up,

then a new chamber on the barrel and the 6,5 cal long bullets set longer than standard COL in the x55 really can make it fly,

just a tad bigger engine room will yield good results.

Well as being a Swede I have never liked the x55, it´s like vanilla icecream however it sure does do a great work and at extended ranges too.

Best regards Chris.

owning and shooting both, I wouldn't be without either one...

they are essentially two shades of the same color...

just remember most 6.5 bullets are meant to perform at the old Swede velocity ranges...

so being able to push them faster, doesn't necessarily provide much better performance or even effectiveness at longer ranges...

Also checking capacity of a Winchester 6.5 x 55 case, and a 260 case, ( made up of reformed Win 7/08 brass)...I filled both to the brim with H 380 powder...and then weighed them...

to my surprise, both cases held EXACTLY the same amount of H 380 powder...

so if you are going strictly for more case capacity, it might be worth your time to check out the case capacity of both rounds side by side, before spending the cash for a new barrel etc..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seafire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
just remember most 6.5 bullets are meant to perform at the old Swede velocity ranges...

so being able to push them faster, doesn't necessarily provide much better performance or even effectiveness at longer ranges...

</div></div>

What??? 6.5 bullets are only meant to perform at the old swede velocity ranges??? We better get on the horn and tell all of those 6.5x284 shooting those bullets at or above 2950fps that they're wasting their time; even though that cartridge is one of the most popular and accurate in F-Class open they must not know what they are doing!!!

And they have the same case capacity? If you try measuring the case by water volume, i.e. the correct way, you may find that they are NOT the same case capacity.

Both are great cartridges. I favor the Swede due to its versatility.