• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6.5x55 vs 308

nrar15

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
May 19, 2003
Indiana
How does the 6.5x55 stack up against 308 as a anti personel round? Thought I had read one time that the 6.5 at 140gr was more effective than the 308 175gr.
Bob

Re: 6.5x55 vs 308

Compare the BC and SD of the bullets and judge for yourself.

You might look at the 6.5 ballistics of the 6.5x47 lapua or 260 remington.

Both have similar ballistics to the 6.5x55 swede. The 6.5x55 is typically downloaded by the factory because of older actions.

I say the above since they are more modern calibers and might have more current data

Both will kill a man, but the 6.5x55 is by far the best longrange round.

If you have a copy of <span style="text-decoration: underline">Hatcher's Notebook</span>, by Maj. Gen. Julian S. Hatcher, read the part about the US Army tests for choosing a combat round. 6.5 was high on the list, and in many, many ways proven to be better than 30 cal. And this was in the 1930's. If you don't have a copy of that book, get one. He was doing musketry experiments in a systematic way, like shooting 30-06 straight up into the sky to see how long it would take to return to earth, long before almost anyone else.

So you're asking how a short action slow bullet compares to a long action fast bullet? The easier and shorter question would be what do they have in common?

And you're asking specifically for anti-personnel? Why?

I wouldn't want to get hit with either one. However velocity trumps all.

Mike just want the best round for the job should the need arise. Also wanting to down size my rifles collection and trying to pick what I can live without.
Bob

6.5 in a modern action will trump a 308 all day long. The fact that you can buy Lapua 6.5x55 brass helps it out a bit.

But, if I only had one rifle to keep, it would probably be a 308.
I'd rather have something I can find food for than have a club.

I'm not going to get rid of all my 308 rifles just wanting to down size a little. Have to have a couple of 308's for subsonic suff. I am thinking of getting out of the 223 game and just use the 6.5 I have an AR10 so don't really need the AR15 either.
Bob