• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x55 vs 6.5 creedmore

Layton

Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2011
Texas Coast
Currently waiting on stock and barrel and planning on a 6.5x55. I saw somewhere were a couple of folks are moving away from the 6.5x55 to a 6.5c and was wondering if I should be looking that direction instead. I've searched and can't find what I was reading before. So I'm posting this looking for someone that may have experience with both as I can't see an advantage with the 6.5c. Rather the other way around with a 6.5x55 in a long action.

Rifle is being built on a Sako long action so as to maximize the 6.5 Swede potential with a 26" Bartlein #14. I won't be competing but I do like to punch small holes in paper too. Hunting I have covered.

Thanks in advance for any advice and sorry for any redundancy.

L

Re: 6.5x55 vs 6.5 creedmore

The 6.5x55 is an excellent round, that will do anything the SA rounds and then some. The downside is that if you want DBM then your out of luck with 6.5x55.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6.5x55 is an excellent round, that will do anything the SA rounds and then some. The downside is that if you want DBM then your out of luck with 6.5x55. </div></div>
I just got a Tikka Sporter in 6.5x55. I still need to get a scope, so I haven't shot it, yet. However, this is the only negative that I've been able to come up with, so far. Hopefully, somebody like CDI will come through!

The advantages that the 6.5Creed have are not in terms of performance.

Both are exceptionally accurate rounds, the Swede is higher performance and runs from a long action.

The higher performance costs in terms of barrel life and powder burn, cost of brass and pinnacle grade dies, so the total cost per round increases a somewhat.

Minor change in component costs, half the barrel life with my 6.5CM vs. my old 6.5x55 (and worse yet my 6.5-06 was).

If you do end up going to a DBM setup you're going to have to buy long action magazines which are inherently more expensive and will need to be modified to feed at all. The 6.5CM without any changes necessary.

Performance costs more, but you get the giddy-up out of it. Since you already have a long action and a 26" barrel I'd stay the course. You can decide after you burn up the first barrel if you want to stay with it.

Thanks! The only reason for the long action is to seat out far and still mag feed. Oh, and I have one I can use. I'm building on a Sako M995 with a 270/30-06 mag. Only 5 rounds but more that what I'll need(you'd think anyway) if I ever hunt with it.

L

edt: And since I'm in hurry up and wait mode I'm constantly second guessing myself.

If you have not settled on a specific cartridge you might consider the Ackley version of the 6.5x55 Sweede. better case life because of improved shoulder, and if you want to push it, more velocity. I am sticking with a standard 6.5x55 because I already have the reamer.

6.5x55 is an excellent cartridge in a long action. You can hang the bullets way out there and get a lot of powder under them. My hunting rifle is chambered for the Swede and it's about ideal. I shoot a fairly light load with 123 A-max's and it does all I need at 2700 fps. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor with about the same barrel length and it can't quite hang with the Swede for velocity, though it's close.
-Dan

Did someone say long burning 6.5x55 Swedish?
sm2-1.jpg

sm1-1.jpg

I just had a 6.5x55 built, with ACIS mag. I have only shot it once so far, sub 1/2". I had a long action and wanted the Swede, hopefully I will get some pictures up and a review soon. Still working on loads for varmints in the 95 gr V-Max. Anyone have any data?

Mike

+1 on Lapua brass. Its also Lapuas cheapest brass. I just got a chance to stretch my latest build out to 500 yards with 142 SMKs and 140 amaxes both on top of RL22. Both shot in the 2" range without much effort on my part. I built mine on a pre-64 model 70.

I had no trouble banging the 36"x36" 1,000 yards plates dead center at 1,000 yards at Hollands Long Range Shooting School in College Station, Texas recently. I was shooting my Blaser R8 Professional 6.5x55 semi-weight with a 22.7" barrel and 130gr Berger VLD's at 2875fps in Lapua brass.

You have made a great choice.

Again, thanks for all the advice. I have way too much time on my hands waiting and to second guess myself. I've got 2 different builds working now and I'm going nuts just sitting on my hands.

Thanks,
L