• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.8 SPC II Bullet Options

Maelstrom

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2007
Southern Maryland
I am trying to gather up the components to start reloading for my 6.8SC II a AR. it will be used as a hog hunting rifle. I have used factory Hornady 110 VMAX successfully for the past couple years. The local shop has Nosler 130 grain hunting ballistic tips in stock. Has anyone loaded a 130 grain bullet in a 6.8 SPC II or is it too heavy?

I am using the 120 gr SST's and they have killed up to 285# hogs (can't seem t break 300#) The CBB are very good bullets but if you are shooting a lot, they are expensive. The 110 Vmax on big hogs is a no go for me. If you shop around you can get the SST's for around $32/100 vs $41/50 for CBB. Again, I am NOT knocking CBB bullets. They kill hogs! If you are using a 10"-12" barrel lots of people like the 105gr over either 120gr.
If you start loading the 6.8, know there is a lot of difference in brass. Hornady made brass and Hornady had brass made by S&B. The S&B has a larger capacity. CBB normally sold S&B new primed brass but it is sold out with possible expected delivery sometime next year. If you look on 68 Forums people say they are loading to higher that published max with A2200 & 120SST's. Proceed with caution and all loading practices. If you use PRI mags you can also load to about 2.295" with SPCII.

I just cleaned some 6.8 brass today to start loading this caliber.
On hand I've got 120 SST & Nosler 130gr Ballistic Silvertips. Going to give both a try with 8208 XBR

Will be using the Hornady small primer brass & Remington large primer brass.
IMG_6384.jpg

On that 68 forum everyone seems to like the SSA brass, but the examples I have are complete garbage.

Once fired factory SSA 115gr HPBT = not one single piece of brass is reloadable from the box I checked today.
This crap was fired from a Black Hole 16" 10T SPC2 chamber.

Junk brass.........all 20 had cracked necks & some had as many as 3 separate cracks
IMG_6383.jpg
IMG_6382.jpg
IMG_6381.jpg
IMG_6380.jpg
IMG_6379.jpg
IMG_6378.jpg
IMG_6376.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6378.jpg
    IMG_6378.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 80
I load speer 130gr spbt’s, but driving them real hard can only get 2550 fps. You are probably better off with 115gr or smaller to get velocities up. Those bergers may be too long, with the speers I’m still at 2.295” OAL.

This shows then different If you look on the reloading section there is a lot of data and info on bullets.

90gr gold dots and 100 or 110 ABs

Star Line produced some 6.8 brass that I have tried and I have a bag of the SSA brass unopened.
A 12.5 and an 18" from ARP. The 12.5 suppressed is the first thing everyone wants to fire, if I bring them to the range.

H322 - RL10 - RL7 were very popular but AA2200 is my favorite

Reactions: Foxtrot79
Lots of guys who hunt hogs with the 6.8 are using Hornady 120 SST with great results. It's the most popular since they're fairly inexpensive and hammers hogs with authority. Other popular bullets include Barnes 95gr TTSX, 110 Accubond, CavityBack 105/120gr MKZ bullets, Federal Fusion and other bonded/ monolithic bullets.

It works well on whitetail deer. The 90 grain gold dots are great but my current projectile is the 110 gr accubond. Shot placement is still important as always. I too use the 2200 powder.

I have 4x: 2x 12.5" and 2x 18". Hard to beat for pigs, especially with 90g Gold Dots. Soon I'll be loading the 95g TTSX and 85g Hammer Bullets. Just need to pew pew through my stock pile.

Thanks for all the info guys. I have not had time to get back on here and read this until this morning. I am running an 18" barrel on the AR right now. Might go shorter down the road if I decide to SBR the lower. Once my Suppressors clear ATF jail I will be using a Rugged Radiant or Griffen Bushwacker 46 on it. Have both in jail right now. Where we hog hunt we have access to a lot of open pastures along with some wooded areas. Last time I went out I shot one at about 250 yards. It was standing in the pasture as I pulled up to the gate. It must have winded me because it started to move right away. Grab the rifle and got a nice shot right before it took off. The Hornady Vmax let it run about 30 yards before it dropped.
20210206_162621.jpg

geez! Don't know how I missed this thread, dang covid. Count me as another 6.8 fan; 12.5 sbr, 18", and 18" savage axis 2 all barreled w ARPs. Also put together a 7.5 pistola with a barrel I got on the cheep somewhere years ago. Post #2 covers it all just about. The only thing I can add is over at 68forums, search out Xman's bullet performance threads. Very extensive showing expansion velocities. A prs caliber it is not but if you reload you can squeeze some serious accuracy. When I was breaking in my savage BA, just grabbed a random FMJ load made from pulls and got 0.25-0.30moa! Just a 3 shot group and I was already cleaned up when I went to the target line (shooting on fam property, time limits d/t neighbors). I had been shooting into the evening sun and all the shots were in a dark section of target so I had no idea of the group size. I have some of the CBB 120s that I will load exclusively for the Savage BA at some point. My caliber considerations/expectations when I got into it was M16 engagement envelope with more oomph out of a 12.5" barrel. I've shot it out to 500yds and got a 5x7" group from a 6x PA ACSS scope when it was still in pistol config, waiting on my stamp. So it fits what I was looking for.

we hunt pigs religiously here. i've shot them with almost every caliber available in a AR platform.. the 6.8 puts their dick in the dirt. it's gotten a little more expensive to use with current events on ammo but my 2nd favorite is a 75gr BTHP .223 back when a box was 12.99 vice 32 for 6.8....