• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.8 SPC on a AR/M4

stefan73

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2006
    CENLA
    What do you gentlemen think of the 6.8 SPC on a M4 type rifle?
    Any pros and cons?
    I was thinking about using it for plinking as well as some smaller animal hunting/eradication (pigs, coyotes etc).
    I have an M4 in 5.56 and was thinking about a 6.8 SPC now.

Thanks for the help!

Re: 6.8 SPC on a AR/M4

I think the 6.8spc is the best round available for the ar-15 platform. Criteria includes factory support, ammo availability, ballistics. You can obviously get cheaper 5.56 ammo for plinking, but for hunting ammo the price is the same, and it's 85-115 grain versus 45-85. The caliber has now aged long enough to have the chambering and twist rate sorted, so I'd give it a "buy" rating, especially for hunting deer or smaller. If you only shot coyotes, 5.56 should be fine, but pigs can be tough, and the 6.8 is well documented in the hog dept.

I'm hoping to get mine on pigs, soon. I'm looking, not finding the hogs, but it's a timing thing...

So far, it's been proven effective, and I'm very happy with it.

6.8SPCII, AR Perf 1:11 twist, SSA 110gr, set up for night hunting right now.

Stretch.jpg

i agree with carbinero, the 6.8 is a well all around round; mine is 18' 1-11 twist. love it! i used to have a 20" 223 for plinking/varmiter and when i got the 6.8 i no longer shot the 223, i end up selling it and i havent looked back.

I live in a state where you can't hunt with a 223 rifle. When the 6.8mm came out it was a godsend. I can now hunt with my 7# AR in a caliber that will take deer out. This was my first year hunting with a 6.8mm (I have an AR Performance Upper PAC Nor barrel and a LWRCI in 6.8mm) and the 6.8mm killed four deer between my son and I. I was using Silver State Armory 110 GR Nosler Accubonds. It killed the deer from 125 yards to 20 yards with no problem at all. I have zero hesitation about going to a 6.8mm; however, I wouldn't let lose of my 223 yet as they are cheaper to shoot. I would just buy a 6.8mm upper and some 6.8mm magazines (PRI) and change uppers. I love the 6.8mm - it gives me flexability for hunting. People in my extended family look at me funny when I hunt with an AR but they come from the old fashioned side of hunting. Shoot your rifle once a year to make sure it is zeroed and go out to the woods.

I love my 6.8 (Denny's upper). It shoots really well and is easy to load. Kills anything I would run into in this area. Hogs, deer, yotes don't stand a chance!