• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

12gauge12

Private
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2008
Bay Area CA
This is my first post, tried the search and nothing.

I wanted to get your opinions on 6.8 SPC as a hunting round for primarily pig and deer. What do you guys know about the round ballistics wise?

Thanks

Re: 6.8 SPC

You might PM member HTR707, he's the 6.8 Guru. Lot's of deer/pig kills, and he's on the leading edge of 6.8 technology and ammo development.

I've been considering a 6.8 as well and was wanting some reloading info. I couldn't find anything in the reloading section about the 6.8 at all.

What do you want to know? 18" SPCII chambered rifles have been pushing 85gr TSX up to 3000fps, remington/SAAMI chambered rifles can get up to 2550fps with 110 and 115gr bullets. 130gr can be single-shot loaded at velocities close to 2400fps with the SAAMI spec chamber. May be able to get a solid 200fps or more with the SPCII chamber. Basically the 6.8SPC has evolved quite a bit from what it was during its inception. Preferred barrel specs nowdays are 1/11 twist 3 or 4 groove with the SPCII chamber. Its the same as the SAAMI but with .05" longer leade.

Bullets avaliable for loading; Barnes 85gr TSX, 110gr TSX, Nosler 110gr Accubond, Hornady 110gr HPBT, 110gr VMAX with and without cannelures, 110gr HPFB, Remington 100gr SP, 115gr FMJ, 115gr CoreLokt, Sierra 115gr SMK, 110gr Pro Hunter, 90gr HP Varminter, Speer 100gr JHP, 90gr TNT.

Preferred powders for the 6.8 are H335, Reloder-7, H322, Lil Gun, Benchmark, H4198, RL-10X, AA1680, N130.

If you want load data, visit 68forums.com they have an absolutely extensive list of load data, complete with velocities and barrel specs, listed by bullet weight and powder type.

Thanks alot powder burns, that's what I've been looking for! I'll check out 68forums.com!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 12gauge12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is my first post, tried the search and nothing.

I wanted to get your opinions on 6.8 SPC as a hunting round for primarily pig and deer. What do you guys know about the round ballistics wise?

Thanks</div></div>

go to Silver State Armory's website and that is a great place to start for quality 6.8mm ammunition.

http://www.ssarmory.com/

Also go to this thread and you will get some good information amongst other items

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1216036&page=1

Gotta be a member its free but all info you need to know about the 68. check out 68forums.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Bullets avaliable for loading; Barnes 85gr TSX, 110gr TSX, Nosler 110gr Accubond, Hornady 110gr HPBT, 110gr VMAX with and without cannelures, 110gr HPFB, Remington 100gr SP, 115gr FMJ, 115gr CoreLokt, Sierra 115gr SMK, 110gr Pro Hunter, 90gr HP Varminter, Speer 100gr JHP, 90gr TNT.
</div></div>

Not to mention all the .277 caliber bullets designed for hunting. A hole is a hole but with less energy and velocity the hole might have to be made a lot closer than with a 270Win.

No point in a bolt gun chambered for 6.8 when a .270 can be had..and for a semi-auto you will have to single-feed any cartridges with bullets in 130gr or larger.