• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.8 upper question

NY700

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2009
Dallas
So I'm thinking of getting a 6.8 upper for my ar15 for deer hunting. Hunting in michigan it would be inside 300yds what length would be the best compromise of velocity and handling in the woods?

Re: 6.8 upper question

Most guys are running a 16 inch barrel. 18 in nets about 30-50 fps and 20 in about 70 with factory ammo.

Im building a 6.8 in upper soon. you will also want an 11 -12 twist so you dont run into pressure problems with certain ammo (combat loads).

howdy

I have to say that 12.5 to 14/5" is optimum for the 6.8mm SPC.

Noveske makes a fine barrel for this caliber.

My next 6.8mm SPC build will be based on a Noveske Barrel.

Make sure you go with the SPCII chamber.

What twist were you considering? 11-12 is optimum when combined with the SPCII chamber.

Listened in on several conversations between Remingotn reps, Dd and others who indicated that they agreed that the SPCII chamber and 11-12 twist is the way the industry is going.

There is a whole lot of info over at the 68forums. The people over there are good, I have used the 6.8 to harvest a few animals and the 110gr TTSX was more than enough, it is moving about 2650fps. I might get some of the 95gr TTSX when they come out to try them, but i do not see how the 85 gr stuff is an improvement over the 5.56.
The 6.8 is a great caliber but don't get sucked into the "has to be a 1:11" vortex. Although both of my Bisons are 1:11 I know a few people that shoot loads just as hot as me in a 1:10 with the same pressure signs. My 6.8s are shooting fools, the 18 is very consistent with 90-110 gr bullets at 3/4MOA (5 shot groups) and the 16 seems to shoot a touch better but it does not like to run light bullets fast (SSA TacLoad 85gr TSX @3050), they shoot fine they just turn the rifle into a single shot.

So to answer your question, a 16" barrel is fine for hunting, 1:11 is optimum but not that necessary if you have a SPCII chamber (or better i.e. ARP's DMR-C, Noveske's Mod1), mid-length seems to be the ticket as well.

I have two 6.8mm's -LWRC and an AR Performance Upper with a Pac 16" Nor Match barrel on it. They are primarily my hunting guns. As CJS10mm said above, the 110 GR TTSX is an excellent hunting round as is the 110 GR Accubond. Las year was my first year hunting with a 6.8mm and between my son and I we took four deer.

6.8mm has become my number one hunting weapon. It is in a compact/short light rifle that I can pack easily walking hills and it packs enough power to take down deer which is my normal quarry.

Awesome stuff guys, thank you much. I'm really thinking 6.8 in a 16" 1-11 is the way to go. I've always loved my .270win makes sense that the 6.8 would be my AR counterpart.