• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.8 W/ AK-47 type gas piston

valentin_84

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2008
Arizona
Hey guys, I'm an AK guy but I wanna get an M4 and need a little advice. I know the 6.8SPC is probably one of the best rounds you can have for a CQB - Mid-Distance rifle and I definitely want one with the AK type gas piston system. I don't really know what I should be looking at and reading up on. I hear the LWRC M6 and the Robinson Armament XCR are 2 options. Anyone have one or used one? Any other options I might have that I don't know about?

Re: 6.8 W/ AK-47 type gas piston

POF also offers a piston-driven 6.8 SPC II which is excellent (they have a 14" and a 16" barrel option depending on the direction you want to go)...see here:

14" - http://www.pof-usa.com/p415/p415-14-11sx-68.htm

16" - http://www.pof-usa.com/p415/p415-16-11sx-68.htm

I can't recommend the POF enough. Excellent rifles using only the best available components and a company that stands behind their products and supports their customers!

I have an LWRC in 6.8. I don't have a lot of rounds through it specifically, but enough through it and other LWRCs that I can probably answer your questions.

Based on what I've read, my own experiences shooting LWRCs (I've never shot POF, PWS, or any other pistons except an HK416 upper once), and seeing the massive turnaround that LWRC made since its days as Leitner-Wise, I'd go LWRC.

I am a huge fan of AK platform myself... if you are on the market for an AR, there are several companies offering gas-piston models. LWRC, Sig, HK, and Stag are just some of them. Besides, few companies offer gas-piston conversion kits for existent gas-operated ARs.

We should have adopted G-P operation long time ago, it's Cool, Clean, and Reliable, thousands of lives would have been saved...what's not to like?

Good luck.

I have a POF so I'm kinda partial. I havent' tried the 6.8 version, but POF makes a nice rifle and their a little cooler looking than most AR's. They're also super reliable!

If you want a true AK style gas piston in 6.8 then you should look at the Primary Weapons Systems Diablo upper. It's a long stroke system where as the others are short strokes. I personally like short strokes more because theirs less moving mass in the parts but both systems work great.

I have a LWRC in 6.8mm and it is a nice rifle but the first thing I had to do was change triggers - theirs suck and that disappointed me for such an expensive rifle but, it is a nice shooter and I use it for my hunting rifle. I couldn't never get it to shoot with the 110 VMAX - 3" at best so I changed to the Barnes TTSX 95 Gr and had no problems shooting 3/4 - 1 MOA at a 100.

Looks like LWRC is pretty loved around here...

By the way, what allows the Sig556 to have a folding butt stock? Does it have something to do with the gas piston system?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: valentin_84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like LWRC is pretty loved around here...

By the way, what allows the Sig556 to have a folding butt stock? Does it have something to do with the gas piston system? </div></div>
Yes, there is no buffer or op spring behind the action.