• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6 arc buffer

Jnull

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2020
I just picked up an 18” proof barrel in 6 arc, rifle +1 gas and 7.5 twist. I’m planning on shooting factory 80gr ELD-VT and using it for coyote hunting.

Here’s the relevant parts I’ll be using
-riflespeed adjustable gas block
-JP bolt
-Huxwrx flow 762

I’ve seen old posts mention the longer vltor buffer tubes, what benefits do you get from a slightly longer buffer tube? I’ve used JP SCS in all my other rifles but was considering an armaspec stealth recoil spring on this one to save some money. What weight buffer is everyone using? Will I want something lighter since I plan to use lighter bullets? Is a lighter carrier worth considering for lighter recoil?

Both the JP SCS and the Armaspec SRS are designed to be used in a standard carbine receiver extension. You can use either in the VLTOR A5 RE, but you have to put in an appropriate length spacer at the bottom of the RE so it has the same internal depth as a carbine RE. The only potential advantage of using an A5 RE with either the SCS or SRS would be an increased maximum LOP with a collapsible stock.

Reactions: bigjake83
Both the JP SCS and the Armaspec SRS are designed to be used in a standard carbine receiver extension. You can use either in the VLTOR A5 RE, but you have to put in an appropriate length spacer at the bottom of the RE so it has the same internal depth as a carbine RE. The only potential advantage of using an A5 RE with either the SCS or SRS would be an increased maximum LOP with a collapsible stock.

I definitely don’t need a longer LOP, I was mainly asking in regards to a different buffer setup then the captured but I wasn’t real clear about that.

Reactions: msgriff
I'm not smart enough to answer this, but I know the guy who designed the Vltor A5 recoil system, or the newer, upgraded BCM MK 2 recoil system.

The big advantage of the is the plain old rifle length recoil spring. It lasts infinitely longer than a carbine length recoil spring and just plain works better.

Secondary but also advantageous are the springs on either side of the buffer weights than both reduce apparent recoil and minimize bolt bounce.

I find the H1/T1 weight buffer works well in almost everything that's not over-gassed, to include the 6mm ARC.

IMG_2616.jpeg

I'm not smart enough to answer this, but I know the guy who designed the Vltor A5 recoil system, or the newer, upgraded BCM MK 2 recoil system.

The big advantage of the is the plain old rifle length recoil spring. It lasts infinitely longer than a carbine length recoil spring and just plain works better.

Secondary but also advantageous are the springs on either side of the buffer weights than both reduce apparent recoil and minimize bolt bounce.

I find the H1/T1 weight buffer works well in almost everything that's not over-gassed, to include the 6mm ARC.

View attachment 8386038

Can you tell me how something like this sounds suppressed compared to a SCS?

I am using a standard Carbine buffer, tube and spring with my 18" Proof but I don't have an adjustable gas block. I couldn't get the 80's to cycle without a can.

I am using a standard Carbine buffer, tube and spring with my 18" Proof but I don't have an adjustable gas block. I couldn't get the 80's to cycle without a can.

I’ll probably be using my flow 762 on this rifle so I won’t have much added back pressure, your comment makes me rethink using an H2 buffer.

Only way to know is to try, the adjustable gas block will certainly help if you find yourself under gassed.

Only way to know is to try, the adjustable gas block will certainly help if you find yourself under gassed.

The adjustable won’t hurt but your non adjustable shouldn’t be limiting your gas I wouldn’t think.

I’ll probably be using my flow 762 on this rifle so I won’t have much added back pressure, your comment makes me rethink using an H2 buffer.
If you go with a standard carbine RE and don't already have a variety of buffers or replacement tungsten weights to choose from, KAK (and others) has a kit to build your own buffer in any weight that you want. VLTOR had something similar for the A5, but I'm not sure that it is still available.

KAK kit:
STKKAKAB.jpg

Reactions: Jnull
Either way, I am under gassed with the lightest buffer and spring unsuppressed with the 80's, short of going light weight with carrier/spring/buffer which I prefer not to do. It runs just fine with 108's both ways.

I bought the Armaspec buffer kit to try, comes with C H H2 weights. A carrier is the last thing I need to get and I’m considering a low mass one since I’ll be running 80 grains.

View attachment 8386038

This. I find very little reason to use anything but the VLTOR / BCM system on any AR15 these days unless you're going rifle length.