• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6 ARC dies - what do you recommend for precision loading?

ReaperDriver

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby!
    So, I'm building a 6 ARC AR-15 upper for long range precision. I'm planning to take it out to 1200+ as well as maybe do some AR-15 Tac Comps with it. What reloading dies do you all recommend? From an interwebs search, it seems the options are basic Hornady or RCBS Matchmaster dies on 17 month backorder. I'm used to full on Redding precision Bushing and Competition Seating dies. The basic Hornady ones seem like a step backwards to basic dies.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Experience with the Hornady Match dies??? TIA.

I've been using Hornady dies (see profile pic) since I started with this and have had no problems with 3 gas guns and 2 bolt guns.

For a sizing die I use a Mighty Armory die. I like it A LOT.

Reactions: skyrep
    I've been using Hornady dies (see profile pic) since I started with this and have had no problems with 3 gas guns and 2 bolt guns.
    Cool, thanks. However, I was not really expecting "problems" with the dies. I'm sure they turn out acceptable ammo just fine. What I was interested in is are the Hornady "match" dies on the same level of precision as the Redding Competition dies or such? I've been spoiled by my Reddings for all my match guns and didn't want to take a step backwards.

I use a set of the Hornady Match Dies with the micrometer seater for my 6.5 man bun.
    They work just fine for me.
    Very accurate ammo cometh from them.

I do use a mandrel vs the ball on the sizer, but thats the only difference from factory usage

Probably not as fancy as the Reddings. not needed for a lowly hillbilly such as me. Not sure your requirements

Cool, thanks. However, I was not really expecting "problems" with the dies. I'm sure they turn out acceptable ammo just fine. What I was interested in is are the Hornady "match" dies on the same level of precision as the Redding Competition dies or such? I've been spoiled by my Reddings for all my match guns and didn't want to take a step backwards.

What level of precision do you need?

Second on the mighty Armory die. I have the Hornady dies also. The mighty Army is far superior. And a Hornady seating die or Universal Frankford Arsenal works great for me. I have a Precision bolt gun and a 26in long Precision AR

I use a set of the Hornady Match Dies with the micrometer seater for my 6.5 man bun.
    They work just fine for me.
    Very accurate ammo cometh from them.

I do use a mandrel vs the ball on the sizer, but thats the only difference from factory usage

Probably not as fancy as the Reddings. not needed for a lowly hillbilly such as me. Not sure your requirements
    That sounds good. Thank you!

Second on the mighty Armory die. I have the Hornady dies also. The mighty Army is far superior. And a Hornady seating die or Universal Frankford Arsenal works great for me. I have a Precision bolt gun and a 26in long Precision AR
    Thanks @alamo5000 and @Lunchbag for the tip on the Mighty Armory dies. I had not heard of them. A quick look at them looks really interesting. I mandrel all my various calibers with an LE Wilson mandrel die (love it), but I like that the Mighty Armory does both in one step.

Last edited:
    Last question..... does the 6 PPC seater die work well for the ARC? I've seen some other posts that reference using that die as a substitute. Just wondered if anyone has tried it and what the results are.

I just got a LE Wilson die and using Short Action Custom bushing .266 then expanding mandrel of .2415. Now this works for me your mileage may vary

Attachments

• 42007F62-62DF-462A-847C-854CAE963492.jpeg
      42007F62-62DF-462A-847C-854CAE963492.jpeg
      197.7 KB · Views: 35
    I just got a LE Wilson die and using Short Action Custom bushing .266 then expanding mandrel of .2415. Now this works for me your mileage may vary

I'm using the Wilson full length bushing die too with good results. I'm seating with the Wilson arbor die. I'm getting best 5 shot groups just under .5 MOA at 100 yards, and in mellow wind, just over that out to 700 yards.

I just got the Holland primer seater for a precision seating. I will let you know how that works. A lot of the top shooters are saying that primers should be seated at .009 to get the right ignition but also say you need to test the different seating depths.

What size is the mandrel that comes with those?

The Holland primer system works great and is very repeatable. I have found Hornady 6 brass to have shallow primer pockets so I got the RCBS primer pocket uniformer to correct that.