• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6 ARC OR 22CM?

Rhino67

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
Barrel recommendations for either? Bolts?
Any concerns with either?
Ammo availability? Assuming with either reloading is the best option, if so best dies?
Powder?

What is your intended use? 6ARC and 22CM are pretty different cartridges with ARC being AR15, 22CM is AR10.

Everyone is different, but I'll likely never build a large frame AR again.

6 ARC, 24-26" Bartlein Compass Lake Engineering barrel, Adjustable rifle+1 gas system. SixFive Outfitters or JP bolt. Duramag, E-lander or ASC magazines. Get the stiffest upper you can (Seekins, Aero...) and glue/bed the barrel to it.

That's for PRS or as long range as you can make it... If you want something a little more practical swap the barrel for a Proof Research 16-18". Ammo is out there, LeverEvolution or CFE223 for reloading powder in the 90-110gr range. Whatever dies make you happy. I've been using Hornady standard dies since before the cartridge was released, 10,000+ rounds at this point.

honestly, I would need to really find a reason to shoot a 22CM, but that's me. 6 ARC is pretty impressive. But, you need the gun built for 6 ARC, and not a little of this and a stretch of that. It is a different gun than an AR15. This is not like moving to .300 BLK or 6.5 Grendel.

My "assumption" was I'd procure a 16" or 18" 6ARC Barrel from either a WC or a Ranier Match grade, one of my BRA Grendel BCGs- check headspace, add a Riflespeed adjustable gas block, a JP buffer and head to the farm with a can full of Black 105s. If I can get it dialed, slap on my AGM Rattler 35-640, dial that in and turn on my Pied Piper magic music box for Yotes... screw on my Vox S and get jiggy with it

Someone tell me where I'm going wrong! LS is making it sound like I might need a Voodoo Priest on retainer...wth?

Last edited:
What is your intended use? 6ARC and 22CM are pretty different cartridges with ARC being AR15, 22CM is AR10.
Just trying to move from 308 to a 6mm for predators (also need a small varmit load) keep hearing 22cm comes with fairy dust pre sprinkled on every pill... prairie dogs and other small varmits the longer I think the more I think 6ARC is my cartridge...also want some longer range steel shooting, say 1k'ish

Reactions: dmcfarland
I built a 6 ARC several months ago. Used a 20" Compass Lake Engineering barrel. Once I got a load developed that it likes, it is really a blast to shoot for such a light caliber. I have had it out on a steel range banging plates out to 1200 yards with it. My daughter will most likely use it for deer this fall. All in all, I am very impressed with the downrange capability it offers in a standard AR-15 platform.

Reactions: Rhino67
I built a 6 ARC about 2 years ago. Admittedly, not much of a gas gunner. But it took me a long time shooting it in matches off and on to get the bugs worked out to where I was comfortable with its performance. I would recommend if you run suppressed to have some type of "flow through" suppressor and not just a traditional baffle, and go with a full mass bolt, an H2 or H3 buffer, with an adjustable gas block. If I'm going hunting or shooting recreationally, the 6ARC or my 6.5 Creedmoor AR10 are the ones I grab. The only time the 223 comes out is for 2 gun matches.

Just trying to move from 308 to a 6mm for predators (also need a small varmit load) keep hearing 22cm comes with fairy dust pre sprinkled on every pill... prairie dogs and other small varmits the longer I think the more I think 6ARC is my cartridge...also want some longer range steel shooting, say 1k'ish
It sounds like ARC is the right choice then. While 22CM had a great selection of varmint bullets, 6mm is catching up and would be less finicky to tune the rifle, and have better barrel life.

Ran some numbers with the Arc the other day (kicking around a Howa Mini).
Does cool stuff to 500 yards with 75 and 87 Vmaxes at 3100 and 2900fps, respectively. Though one might not run quite that fast in an AR.