• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6 bra fire forming

jimbob_walker

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2011
Conneaut lake pa
Making a switch from br to bra. With supply chain limits, I'm having a hard time finding 6 br lapua brass. I currently have 800 pcs of 3x fired br brass. What's the chances that they will hold up to fire forming to bra and if they do, will the case life be short? I've tried researching using old uses brass but I haven't found anything. Must be because it's probably not a good idea.

Try it on 25 and see.

I have had no issues with unannealed used brass to BRA.

It will be fine. Anneal first if you can/do. It’s not a fireforming that can stretch the case at the head (web). You are just reshaping the shoulder. Case life shouldn’t be shortened at all.

The only issue that could realistically arise would be the same as shooting any once- (or more) fired brass out of a new chamber. If the new chamber is small, and the brass can't be sized enough, you could get extraction issues.

And, oh yeah, welcome to the world of BRA!

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll wait and see if my brass with chamber, if not, I'll be on the search for new.
You can run it through your full length BR sizing die and it will chamber (just size it as if you were going to load another cycle of BR) remember it should be a slight crush fit into a BRA chamber so there WILL be some resistance to bolt closure the first time. That’s normal, if your BRA chamber is cut correctly. Theres no reason it wont extract. IF your BRA chamber is cut really small, like way smaller than a normal shop would cut it (custom shop might if you told them to) you could end up with “clickers” and need to get a small base die. This is extremely unlikely.

Jam the bullets into the lands for the first firing to help form the shoulder as well as the advice above. I form with a jam and slight reduction from my full-boat 6BR charge.