• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk 6 CM build, not sure about barrel length?

FN-Whitney

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2018
I am considering building a 6 CM for PRS comp's next year. What barrel length and twist do you find to be the best for the 6 CM? I plan on starting off with Federal Gold Berger 105's, if they work well, and then moving into reloading later.

I've been really happy with a 26" barrel. Moderate charges will get you into the 3060-3120 velocity range without taking a nasty hit to barrel life, and it's still maneuverable enough for barricade-heavy matches.

Reactions: PRSHallowell
I run a 26” Sendaro contour with 419 hellfire brake 1:8 gettin 3150 FPS with 105 hybrid target Berger

I run a few 26" barrels in 6 Creed, mostly M40s and 1 Heavy Palma contour most with 1:7.5tw (1x 1:8tw). Pushing 110s at everything from 2940-3150. Running the slower loads now for less recoil/easier to spot trace.

Like other's said, 26" is going to be just fine. The velocity gain won't be enough to justify going to a 28" barrel. Longer barrel = more whip.

If you aren't going to shoot 115 grain bullets, 1:8 twist will stabilize everything else just fine.

not to hijack too much but I run a .243 and am about to move to heavy bullets 105-108 bergers. Since these two are very close i'm wondering 1:7 vs 1:8 as well... plan on using a 24" barrel.

I contacted Federal and they told me they test with a 1:7.5 with both the 105 Berger and the 107 Sierra bullets.

Reactions: Awesymoto
not to hijack too much but I run a .243 and am about to move to heavy bullets 105-108 bergers. Since these two are very close i'm wondering 1:7 vs 1:8 as well... plan on using a 24" barrel.

Split the difference. 7.5. I wouldn't go full 7 unless you plan to use a bullet that would need it and the ones you mention won't.

Split the difference. 7.5. I wouldn't go full 7 unless you plan to use a bullet that would need it and the ones you mention won't.

Many 105 hybrids were run over the Applied ballistics doppler this weekend at Altus. Running a 7 twist at 2940 fps I wound up with a .286 G7, that was 100% confirmed down range. The 8 twists I saw were right at .274 and a couple 7.5's both had around 278-279. With a 6x47 7 twist my BC trued to around .288.

Thank you everyone for your input. I ended up going with a Bighorn Origin with a Hawk Hill Heavy Varmint barrel, 26" 1:7.5 twist. I plan on trying out the Berger 105's first and see how it goes from there.

Reactions: Rob01
Thank you everyone for your input. I ended up going with a Bighorn Origin with a Hawk Hill Heavy Varmint barrel, 26" 1:7.5 twist. I plan on trying out the Berger 105's first and see how it goes from there.
If you don't like the 105, check the 107smk out. Out of my 7.5tw, I could not shoot a bad group. Very easy to load up. I am almost regretting changing to a 7tw to run the 115DTAC or 110SMK.

Reactions: FN-Whitney
If you don't like the 105, check the 107smk out. Out of my 7.5tw, I could not shoot a bad group. Very easy to load up. I am almost regretting changing to a 7tw to run the 115DTAC or 110SMK.
I was looking at the 107SMK's, I have had great success with Berger bullets in the past that way I was starting there first but the 107's would definitely be my next move.

Reactions: ThisGuy