• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6 cm vs. 6.5cm at a mile

kmontang

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2014
Dallas, TX
I'm looking to set up a new rifle for shooting PRS. Due to a variety of factors, I am getting it chambered in either 6.5CM or 6CM. I have a 6.5 I shoot now occasionally out to a mile, and one thing I run into is the difficulties of spotting hits and misses at that distance. I'm looking for first-hand feedback on the 'visibility' of shooting a 6CM at a mile.
-I cant regularly go downrange at the range I shoot at, so a target cam or hit indicator is out, as is running down to put a fresh coat of paint on
-I have a Swarovski BTX and a Vortex Razor 20-60x80 I use for spotting, but given conditions here (Dallas area), following trace past about 1400yds gets pretty unreliable, so I'm usually looking for a splash on target, or my spotter is.

So how much harder (or maybe easier?) will this be with a 6cm vs a 6.5cm?

I wouldn’t think it would be any easier as the bullets are not going to create any more splash being that they are smaller, a bigger caliber would be my preference if it’s going to be shot out to a mile primarily.

If you have trouble spotting misses with the 6.5, why would you consider going lighter and smaller?

If you're limited to those two cartridges, you can hot rod the 6.5 and make it get there.

You'll need a pretty long barrel, 26 or longer.

RL16 or RL26

156 elite hunter

Load it long to leave room for more powder column to be filled

Probably gonna have to single load.

I know of someone who did this and achieved 3000+ fps with the 156s and RL26 but i believe he backed down to sub 3000 FPS and RL16 as he found a good load there.

If you have trouble spotting misses with the 6.5, why would you consider going lighter and smaller?

If you're limited to those two cartridges, you can hot rod the 6.5 and make it get there.

You'll need a pretty long barrel, 26 or longer.

RL16 or RL26

156 elite hunter

Load it long to leave room for more powder column to be filled

Probably gonna have to single load.

I know of someone who did this and achieved 3000+ fps with the 156s and RL26 but i believe he backed down to sub 3000 FPS and RL16 as he found a good load there.
Are you talking about me? lol I did this with a 153gr. took it up to 3050 which was way to hot. 2920fps was a safe place with RL26.
Even when I am running my 2800 fps load, I have no problem spotting my misses at one mile.
6mm is going to be a lot hard to spot those misses, If you are doing long-range stuff I would stick with a 6.5

Are you talking about me? lol I did this with a 153gr. took it up to 3050 which was way to hot. 2920fps was a safe place with RL26.
Even when I am running my 2800 fps load, I have no problem spotting my misses at one mile.
6mm is going to be a lot hard to spot those misses, If you are doing long-range stuff I would stick with a 6.5

My bad, Idk why I thought 156, yeah I was talking about you lol...

At 9/10ths of a mile my 6xc with a 105 rdf took less elevation (16.x vs 19.x) than my cousin who had a 6.5creed with a 140 eld but he had less extreme swings in the windage.
As far as splash, impacts on steel etc it was a wash between the two. Netiher were ideal in any fashion and sorta suck.

I should have been more clear. The 1 Mile is NOT my primary purpose, PRS will be. Mile mark is of secondary importance, but something I like doing occasionally. If the consensus was that 6cm is basically the same in terms of visibility pushing a mile, I'd go that route, but it sounds like that's setting me up for failure.

Thanks Frank, looks like I'll stick with the 6.5cm

140’s can be hard to spot at a mile.
100’s will be even more so.
That’s why a 7mm and .30 is a better choice, 180+ grains is easier to spot.

Reactions: camotoe