• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6 Comp Match vs 6 Creedmore - What is the difference?

If your necks have angles you are doing something wrong. The 6 Comp Match has more powder capacity. The Creedmoor is a shorter case. Chad Dixon (LRI) has a write-up on 6 comp match on his website. I believe the comp match is fireformed from a .243 with the shoulder blown forward similar to how a 6 Dasher is made from a 6 BR case. The idea with the 6 Comp Match is to have enough case capacity to use slow burning H1000 to extend barrel life. Maybe someone has a picture of the two side by side?

Yeah, I have a 6 comp match hammer..... I really wanted more info on the fundamental differences between the 2. Chad likes RL26 now, but I am still shooting H1000... I will just ask Chad....
Thanks guys

Yeah, I have a 6 comp match hammer..... I really wanted more info on the fundamental differences between the 2. Chad likes RL26 now, but I am still shooting H1000
Email PT&G, and request a reamer print of each. That will show you the differences better than anyone on a forum can describe it.

RL26 will be faster than H1000 but the reason to goto H1000 is this. H1000 is a single base powder. It is proven to reduce throat wear in overbore cartridges due to the cooler burning temps of a single based powder. RL 26 like all reloder powders is a double based propellant. DB powders can create better velocities in similar burn rates. The issues in the past were temp sensitivity excessive residue build up and accelerated throat wear. RL's newest powders have reduced but the temp sensitivity and most of the residue. However I cannot confirm the throat wear as I have not burned up a barrel yet. It does seem to have more throat wear than others running 4350 but I'm @ 2830-50 in a 24" savage creed with 147's they are at 2700-2750 with 140 bergers and 147's with custom cut barrel. fwiw

Comp match you blow the shoulder forward into a 31deg shoulder, but the case taper of the 243 does not change. Yes you get slightly more capacity, but unless you choose the right powder, you'll never realize it.
An above poster talked about using H 1000, I myself think it would be rare either of these cases would yield a full burn from it, and if you are planning on running suppressed, it will compound things.
Between the 2, I think neck lengths are comparable, and I doubt any superior accuracy claims form either can be made, they both work. Creed is plug and play today, and in reality is a more efficient case design.
Now a 243 AI is a whole diff beast, blowing case and shoulder out, holds a substantial more amount of powder.

Comp match you blow the shoulder forward into a 31deg shoulder, but the case taper of the 243 does not change. Yes you get slightly more capacity, but unless you choose the right powder, you'll never realize it.
An above poster talked about using H 1000, I myself think it would be rare either of these cases would yield a full burn from it, and if you are planning on running suppressed, it will compound things.
Between the 2, I think neck lengths are comparable, and I doubt any superior accuracy claims form either can be made, they both work. Creed is plug and play today, and in reality is a more efficient case design.
Now a 243 AI is a whole diff beast, blowing case and shoulder out, holds a substantial more amount of powder.
The guys that started with the 6cm started with H1000 for the specific reason of extended barrel life. You can goto the accurate shooter forum and speak to Joel Hendricks about it. Or you could goto superior shooting solutions and ask why David Tubb loads his 6xc a smaller case with H1000. They both have more experience than I do with it. Mine revolves around the 243ai which as you stated has more capacity.

The guys that started with the 6cm started with H1000 for the specific reason of extended barrel life. You can goto the accurate shooter forum and speak to Joel Hendricks about it. Or you could goto superior shooting solutions and ask why David Tubb loads his 6xc a smaller case with H1000. They both have more experience than I do with it. Mine revolves around the 243ai which as you stated has more capacity.
Right, I did not say it wont work, I said I doubt you can get a complete burn. I did not know Tubb posted his load data, last I heard it was H4831, but truthfully I don't care either way. I shoot 2 XC's, 110 Sierra, RL 16 powder, works on my end.
I've had both comp match, 3 barrels, and 6 creed, the XC IMO does a comparable job, albeit at less speed for me.

Right, I did not say it wont work, I said I doubt you can get a complete burn. I did not know Tubb posted his load data, last I heard it was H4831, but truthfully I don't care either way. I shoot 2 XC's, 110 Sierra, RL 16 powder, works on my end.
I've had both comp match, 3 barrels, and 6 creed, the XC IMO does a comparable job, albeit at less speed for me.
The 6xc he sells is loaded with H1000

Right, I did not say it wont work, I said I doubt you can get a complete burn.
You can theorize all you like but the fact of the matter is that Joe Hendricks and just about anyone who uses a 6 Comp Match loaded with H1000 gets insane velocities and (for a 6 mm cartridge) insanely long barrel life; on top of easily tuneable accuracy.

In light of all that, the answer to the question of whether H1000 gets a complete burn or not is this: who f-ing cares.

Reactions: lash
You can theorize all you like but the fact of the matter is that Joe Hendricks and just about anyone who uses a 6 Comp Match loaded with H1000 gets insane velocities and (for a 6 mm cartridge) insanely long barrel life; on top of easily tuneable accuracy.

In light of all that, the answer to the question of whether H1000 gets a complete burn or not is this: who f-ing cares.
On my last comp match barrel, I ran IMR 7977 and got 1200 rds shooting a 105 hybrid at 3100 fps. I remember in the 90's all the guys driving F 250's with a 460 in them getting 17mpg too.
H 1000 is far from a magical powder, if it works for you and others, great.

The enduron powders are double based and like the 5XX series from V V and reloder powders. Might explain why you only had 1200rds of acceptable barrel life compared to the 2500 avg the XTC shooters get running H1000

I personally know a shooter who eeked out 4000 rounds from his 6 CM using H1000. Admittedly, he was chasing the lands heavily for the last 1000 rounds and list velocity to boot. So, not saying that it’s a 4000 round cartridge, just saying that H1000 works well for the 6 comp match.

Reactions: 308pirate
H1000 works. It makes the barrel life of these cartridges around 2500 with proper throat maintenance. There is usually a velocity drop between 1900-2100 rounds. I find it easy to develop an accurate and stable load. I ran the exact same load for the whole life of my last barrel which I pulled at just over 2800 rounds. It started throwing fliers around 2500 but shot great before that. Getting 4000 rounds on a barrel would be a lot of eeking, but I could see how it would be possible. It's not the end all be all, but it does have a lot of pros and not a ton of cons.

The load is written on the box it comes in. You can call them for more info.