• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6 Creedmoor: New Aero DPMS Upper vs Ruger Precision Rifle?

Cotay

La Planète des singes
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2017
North Idaho
I currently have an Aero M5 setup as a light hunting .308 with a Faxon pencil and waiting for my GAP LRHS 4.5-18x to arrive.

I decided last night that I wanted to build a 6 Creedmoor upper and priced out the parts I'll need. The barrel would be this one from Brownells: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...l-6mm-creedmoor-heavy-profile-prod110185.aspx . I suppose I could opt for a Wilson Combat (https://shopwilsoncombat.com/6mm-Creedmoor/products/1007/) for a few more dollars more as well.

I then noticed that the total price is in the approximate ballpark of the Ruger Precision Rifle from CDNN. I'd be upgrading the handguard and immediately changing out a few other bits, but the entry price is only about $125 more for the Ruger if you factor in that I'd need to pay FFL/DROS fees as well (or the same with the Wilson barrel).

I will probably be putting a DMR II on whichever I get. I am not planning on competing but that could be something I'd like to do down the road.

Which would be the better approach?

Go with the RPR.

6 creedmoor can be finicky to get running in a gas gun. Especially with those barrels you listed, rifle length is not long enough. Mine didn't even run great with rifle+2. Some companies are doing Rifle +3 for 6 CM. I was barely able to break 2900 before getting overgassing issues so I scrapped the project and went back to 6.5 CM.

I also was not able to feed some of the best bullets as they were too long and pointy so they would get jammed into the back of the barrel beyond the extension.

Reactions: Cotay
Go with the RPR.

6 creedmoor can be finicky to get running in a gas gun. Especially with those barrels you listed, rifle length is not long enough. Mine didn't even run great with rifle+2. Some companies are doing Rifle +3 for 6 CM. I was barely able to break 2900 before getting overgassing issues so I scrapped the project and went back to 6.5 CM.

I also was not able to feed some of the best bullets as they were too long and pointy so they would get jammed into the back of the barrel beyond the extension.

Thanks, that's great feedback!

I just swapped out the 18" barrel on my Wilson Combat 308 and installed their 20" barrel.
I didn't even have to adjust the gas block. All 3 types of Hornady ammo shot extremely well and pretty much to the same POI at 100 yards.
I need to get back out and shoot at distance of course but I think I am going to have a lot of fun with it.

WC barrels are awesome, I have quite a few.

I've been shooting a GAP-10 in 6 Creedmoor for years now and it's been super reliable and very accurate. Out of the two barrels you listed, I'd take the 22" Wilson.

"Driving" a semi-auto is different than the bolt action. You need to have all your fundamentals of shooting down to get the best accuracy out of the gas gun. That being said, I have the RPR in 6 Creedmoor too and it's a great shooter for sure. I really enjoy it, but I enjoy my GAP-10 more. The GAP-10 will do everything the RPR will do, just more efficiently.

You’re looking at two completely different rifles here. I would say the main thing to answer is what you want to do with the rifle, that may help you decide bolt or gas. As stated before, gas guns are MUCH less tolerant of mistakes than bolt guns are. The TINIEST trigger twitch, the smallest shift in shoulder position, any bit of follow through wiggle will open your groups up considerably in a gasser. This is coming from experience with a 6.5 gasser and a 6.5 bolt. They will both do it, the bolt just lets me be a smidge less perfect to get the same results. You mentioned in your original post that you may want to compete at some point. If that is the case, the RPR in 6CM would be a better start. You could buy the rifle and scope and be shooting for probably less than a solid 6CM gasser would cost you. When you look at a round like 6 CM, I’m not positive, but I believe it’s a bit harder to tune and dial in than say a .308 or a 6.5 CM. Not absolutely sure, because I don’t have one, but I think I’ve heard that. If that’s the case, you’re going to want to stick with one of the higher end guns. That means more $$. A bolt gun is super easy. Buy it, buy some factory Hornady 6CM ammo, head out. Then, you can focus everything you have on shooting and load development, not getting a finicky gunnto run.

Just my thoughts. YMMV