• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6 Creedmoor vs 243 Winchester

mdesign

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
Nebraska
In the sense of a combination LR shooting/hunting gun with a 22" barrel, is there any practical difference between the performance of these two cartridges?....Barrel life? Assuming the they both had the same rate of twist for the heavier bullets.

In the case of comp shooting both will reach 3150 which is the speed limit for most if not all matches.
Brass availability- 243 will be hard to beat
Accuracy-Both can be hammers
Mag length col- 6 creed
powder per shot-6 creed(slightly)
Energy on target(hunting)-243
barrel life-I would guess 6 creed but would be a toss up on how hot you load either
Bullets- same/same My choice is berger 105 hybrid
speed per inch of barrel-While I haven't hard data I would guess the 243 to favor longer barrels
This is kind of a academic question, both will do the job you are looking for with ease. If you are running the 115 range of bullets the 243 will out run the 6 creed. The question could be how large an animal are you intending to hunt?

R

Reactions: kstraughen
Deer, coyotes and the occasional antelope is all that would be hunted. I like the shorter length to help long bullets fit into mag length but the 243 has been around for a long time. Just wondering if there was something I was missing.

In the case of comp shooting both will reach 3150 which is the speed limit for most if not all matches.
Brass availability- 243 will be hard to beat
Accuracy-Both can be hammers
Mag length col- 6 creed
powder per shot-6 creed(slightly)
Energy on target(hunting)-243
barrel life-I would guess 6 creed but would be a toss up on how hot you load either
Bullets- same/same My choice is berger 105 hybrid
speed per inch of barrel-While I haven't hard data I would guess the 243 to favor longer barrels
This is kind of a academic question, both will do the job you are looking for with ease. If you are running the 115 range of bullets the 243 will out run the 6 creed. The question could be how large an animal are you intending to hunt?

R

So tell me how fast can you push a 115 in a 243, accurately? 26-28" tube?

JGorski - the question was in regards to a 22" tube and the assumption that the rest of the gun was equal.

J, I was more making a general statement as to powder capacity for driving the 115s. While there are exceptions to every rule I will stand by my statement. By out running I mean fps possible achieved. This doesn't mean it would be in a good node.

R

I have been considering this question as well, except I was thinking possibly 20" and .243AI? Would the 20" barrel make the .243AI lose too much?

Mike - shooting DTAC 115 bullets interests me, would a 7.5 twist in a 22" barrel work okay? Can they be loaded in mag length?

DTACs work in my 8 twist Creedmoor, don't know about the 243, but my OAL is 2.803" and fits my AI mag very well. I do have them 0-005" off lands.

So tell me how fast can you push a 115 in a 243, accurately? 26-28" tube?

In my 243 28" Bartlein I can get 3200-3250(mild pressure signs at 3250) with coated DTACS seated to throat(.005 off). Mine has a custom throat so that it would still work with AI mags.

I have been considering this question as well, except I was thinking possibly 20" and .243AI? Would the 20" barrel make the .243AI lose too much?

Shortening the barrel always take some, it becomes a question of what you want the rifle to do well.

I have a 243AI and love it, brass doesn't grow nearly as much as 243, extra case capacity is a great thing, and the gun loves 243WIn factory if ever in a pinch. (Mine is a Tikka action, they are all LA, so I have no feeding issues that some mention in traditional SA setup - but be aware that some rifles have feeding issues with 243ai cases.)

I cannot think of a specific scenario where my must-have gun is a 243AI with 20" tube, but maybe you can. That said, my 24" 243AI is perfect for several applications.

Last edited:
Im shooting a 22" 243 AI. I'm pushing 105 amax and 107 matrix bullets at 3150 and the 115 berger and 117 matrix at 3050. I am well inside mag length where my throat is set. I should have had the throat stretched out a bit, but oh well. Also I am using mil spec match brass, I know I have given up a bit of case capacity compared to Winchester or Lapua brass.
My idea was that I could use the AI version in the shorter barrel to get similar velocities as the straight 243 in a 24-26" tube, while its probably not the most efficient use of powder I am pretty happy with how it works.

Last edited:
I was thinking 20" because I was looking at a short, handy hunting rifle.

Canuckr, where does one find 243 mil spec match brass?
Nso123, are you a reloader? What do you have in 308 in that general setup?

Canuckr, where does one find 243 mil spec match brass?
Nso123, are you a reloader? What do you have in 308 in that general setup?

I do reload. I have .308, .260, 6.5CM... I am just looking at something fast in the 6mm family for another deer rifle. Like I told a friend of mine, I have a polygamous relationship with deer rifles.

With that lineup, I'd say consider the opposite direction, your stable could use a good 300 Win Mag. I hunt very thick scrub with occasional long shots, my weapon of choice is a 300WM, I have had very, very few run from a Barnes TTSX 180 at about 2900FPS. The 2 or so that did take a few steps left a blood trail Stevie Wonder could follow. Since you reload, 300 isn't prohibitively expensive.

If you are dead-set on a 6mm, think about a 6x47 too, small rifle primers and not hard on brass - also, Lapua 6.5 brass is just a resize away.

With that lineup, I'd say consider the opposite direction, your stable could use a good 300 Win Mag. I hunt very thick scrub with occasional long shots, my weapon of choice is a 300WM, I have had very, very few run from a Barnes TTSX 180 at about 2900FPS. The 2 or so that did take a few steps left a blood trail Stevie Wonder could follow. Since you reload, 300 isn't prohibitively expensive.

If you are dead-set on a 6mm, think about a 6x47 too, small rifle primers and not hard on brass - also, Lapua 6.5 brass is just a resize away.

I shoot .300WM and .300WSM too. I was just tossing around ideas for a short rifle.

Mike - shooting DTAC 115 bullets interests me, would a 7.5 twist in a 22" barrel work okay? Can they be loaded in mag length?

The twist will work. The length is going to be your biggest hinderance. You can load them to "mag length" if you use either Accurate mags or AI mags with the front plate removed. Shouldn't have a problem then. Also, you may need to cut a groove in your feed ramp but it's not always necessary.

I didn't find the 243 mil spec brass, I made it. I have a boat load of match 762 brass. Enough of it that I decided it was worth my time to resize it to 260 then to 243 then fire form it. Not really all that time consuming.....

The only reason I went with a 22" barrel is so that I could have a 20" barrel if I decide I like the caliber enough to have the barrel set back and chambered again to make that barrel last longer. As you can probably guess I can find more time than I can money to play this game so I try to stretch my money where I can.

Thanks for the comments guys. Looks like the best reason to go with a 6CM over a 243 is COAL otherwise it's pretty much a toss up. Does anyone know it the case length of the 6CM & 6.5CM are the same?