• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6 Dasher Build

Jeremiah Johnson

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2019
Texas
ED95D36B-104E-4AF9-BA80-755BB1FA4A05.jpeg
F38A2699-3813-4894-8679-A9B691BA3C30.jpeg
First bolt action I have put together myself. With the easier than I expected. Just had to find the parts. Built this with the intent of getting into PRS and learning how to shoot better for hunting. Now I just need to figure out how to do this reloading thing. Hope to do a ladder test this week from 32-33grains if Varget.

Build List:

Impact 737 Action
Foundation Genesis 2 Stock
Proof Research 1/7.5 Dasher Prefit Barrel
Hawkins Bottom Metal
Trigger Tech Diamond Trigger
Area 419 Hellfire Brake
Leica PRS 5-30x56 Scope
B&T Atlas Bipod

I have a Nightforce Atacr 7-35 MilXT on order for this rifle, but took the Leica of my big game rifle until it comes in.

Going to use:
Alpha Munitions 6 Dasher Brass
Berger Hybrid 105s
Varget
BR4 Primers

Reactions: TwistedOneinSeven
I would start lower. Alpha brass capacity seems to be lower than Lapua. It's phenomenal brass, however I did have to back the load down roughly .4-.5gr to keep the same velocity. I would start at 31gr and work up. It seems most have their luck somewhere between 31.5 and 32.2 depending on velocity desires. Personally, I like to run a 105 at about 2900. I've run them to 2950 previously but felt the recoil impulse difference was greater than the gained Ballistic performance. Speaking from a positional shooting sense. Prone, there's no recoil to discuss. Hope this helps, awesome looking build!

Reactions: Jeremiah Johnson
I would start lower. Alpha brass capacity seems to be lower than Lapua. It's phenomenal brass, however I did have to back the load down roughly .4-.5gr to keep the same velocity. I would start at 31gr and work up. It seems most have their luck somewhere between 31.5 and 32.2 depending on velocity desires. Personally, I like to run a 105 at about 2900. I've run them to 2950 previously but felt the recoil impulse difference was greater than the gained Ballistic performance. Speaking from a positional shooting sense. Prone, there's no recoil to discuss. Hope this helps, awesome looking build!
Thanks. This is a learning experience. I will take all the help I can get.

Nice looking build! Kind of fun putting the first one together, I know I enjoyed it. Like previously mentioned 32 starting could possibly be on the warmer side so 31 might be better.

I would highly encourage you to never go over 32.0 grains of Varget. I'd start at 30.5 and end at 31.5 with load development. I have shot many barrels out at 31.0 grains of Varget with a 105 Hybrid in Alpha brass.

Lots of hot loads on the internet from a few years back. Now most PRS guys are running lighter loads. F-class types run very hot loads. They don't mind prying the bolt open every shot, but that will ruin your day in PRS.

Congratulations on selecting the finest rifle stock and rifle action known to man!

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips... It looks like everyone is saying go low. I had taken some of the load data from the following. All were around 32.5 grains of Varget. I will start in the 31s and work my way up.
View attachment 7828265
32.5gr is/was pretty standard with Lapua 6BR brass

Alpha tends to run less, but 32.5 might be more than fine in your rifle (it is in mine with Peterson brass)

also FClass guys run long barrels and freebore typically which is why its not uncommon to see them above 3,000fps

finally, nodes like that graph are stupid/don't exist.

shoot a ladder to find pressure and desired speed/charge. play with seating depth if you want

Nice build!

I'll pile on the "go lower" bandwagon. I like high 2800's for velocity with a 105. Running my Dasher at 2870 right now, 31.6gr of Varget with a 105 hybrid, Lapua brass.

PS. Listen to that Mordamer guy... when he says he's shot out many barrels at 31.0gr with a 105 in Alpha brass, what he neglected to mention was the dump truck full of PRS trophies he accumulated while doing so. :)

I'll join the bandwagon also. Start low and run 100 rounds through the Barrel to get it up to speed. Once that's done then start the ladder test and work up.

From the posts above, It sounds like I should load 31grains of Varget and just forget about the ladder test for a while.

This is my first time attempting anything like this so I appreciate all the help.

I have hunted and shot all my life, but never done anything close to PRS or competition.

Reactions: Sheldon N
I go the opposite direction, I run 32.5 plus in alpha brass and have no issues. Not telling you its safe in your gun, you are going to have to run some tests and find what speed you are looking to run, safely.

Last edited:
I go the opposite direction, I run 32.5 plus in alpha brass and have no issues. Not telling you its safe in your gun, you are going to have to run some testes and find what speed you are looking to run, safely.
Thanks. Sounds like I’ll do a ladder test from 31-32.8 or at least I run into pressure.

In the mean time I will just load low and do load development after I get a feel for the rifle.

I go the opposite direction, I run 32.5 plus in alpha brass and have no issues. Not telling you its safe in your gun, you are going to have to run some tests and find what speed you are looking to run, safely.
How many firings on your alpha brass at that load?