• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6 dasher false shoulder fire forming tutorial for dasher newbs

Renomd

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Reno, NV
I'm a 6 dasher newbie, I needed a lot of help, which I got from accurateshooter members; but, I decided to make a detailed step by step tutorial on false shoulder fire-forming for the 6 dasher fireforming newbies (like me). It's intimidating if you have never done it. But the end results are amazing....

Specs:
26 inch bartlein barrel
1.555 chamber
272 no-turn neck
104 freebore
Defiance Deviant action

Start with Lapua blue box 6BR norma brass

Steps
1) Size up the neck: I used a 21st century expander mandrel die with the 264 expander mandrel
264 expander mandrel bought from Sinclair (not the turning mandrel FYI which is 0.001 different). Used imperial sizing wax, don't just use dry neck lube that stuff sucks.

2) Next make the false shoulder: Forster full length sizing 6mm Dasher die WITH DECAPPING ASSEMBLY REMOVED. This will require quite a few back and forth trials with your rifle. What I ended up doing was looking for the point where I had a decent amount of resistance the ENTIRE time when you close the bolt, and it should get harder right at the end. Dmoran calls this a "full crush"
Important to note when you remove the decapping assembly (not everyone does this), the neck size will be super tight (.253"), so I ended up re-expanding with a 243 sinclair mandrel (note .2675 is what 6BR brass comes as out of the box in my lot #). ALSO MUSHROOMING is NORMAL after making the false shoulder (see brass on right). Note, re-expanding with a 243 mandrel makes the mushroom go away (see brass on left)
IMG_4153.jpg

For me, I ended up making the false shoulder, then re-expand w/ the 243 mandrel until I achieved the full crush. It should take a decent amount of force to close, I would say 30-40% more effort to close the bolt on a regular basis. Also I wiped off all the sizing wax everytime I chambered the rifle.
There are threads on this forum about making sure the chamber is oil free/dry to reach optimal blow length (more on this below).

3) Next step, double check your work with an actual projectile... I would highly recommend this before you load 250 rounds to fire form. I'm glad I did this b/c when I seated the bullet with a forster micrometer seater die in 6 dasher, it was VERY hard to close the bolt (75% more effort then normally trying to close a bolt). So the false shoulder expanded every so slightly from 0.2880 to 0.2885-0.2890 after seating a bullet. So I had turn in the Forster FLS die I used to make the false shoulder a hair clockwise, re-expanded with 243 mandrel, seated the bullet and voila! Back to 30-40% more effort with a full crush to close the bolt when the projectile was seated... (this was all along with the pin pulled and ejector removed, but extractor intact).
IMG_4149.jpg

I seated 0.020" into the lands for good measure, Varget 30 gr (the "standard" charge) w/ a hornady 105 amax (I got these cheap) results in 1.532-1.536 blow lengths, most being 1.532-1.534... I tried cleaning the bore & chamber every 5 rounds, 20 rounds, and 50 rounds and degreased it with rubbing alcohol at the end; but, this made absolutely no difference in my blow lengths. However, I am of the school of thought that it doesn't really matter for accuracy (see my results).

Right is a virgin 6BR brass, middle is a perfect blown out 6 dasher brass, left is what you will see every once in awhile. I had 4 of these split necks in the 300 rounds I fire-formed.

IMG_4314.jpg

I got around to doing load development (finally) on this 1 x fired brass, with just a light inside and out chamfer after I sized with a whidden FLS bushing die 267 RCBS nitride bushing w/ the expander ball in.

Load is with Varget and Berger 105 hybrids. This is with 250 fire formed rounds on the barrel.

Top row is the OCW 32.3, 32.6,32.9, 33.0, 33.2 (seated 0.015 off lands), and 32.6 (seated 0.020 off lands which was a go to load from well known precision tactical shooters).

32.6 gr of Varget = 2978 fps (on average) SD 4.2
33.0 gr of Varget = 3006 fps (on average) SD 5.4

NO PRESSURE SIGNS AT ALL! 3 round groups. Shot off the bench... pretty much all loads though were 1/2 MOA or less which was insane.
I'm going with 33.0 gr based on not only group size, gunsmith who chambered this that's his load too with this reamer, and it happened to be within the middle of the node ( i know it's not so obvious in this picture)
IMG_4306.jpg

Great article. My Dasher should be in this week and I am planning on this method. From what I've read, it seems a bit more predictable (in terms of blow lengths) than just loading .020" into the lands. I'll let you know how it works for me!

Just wanted to say thanks to the contributors of this post. I fire formed my first 50 pieces of 6BR brass to 6 DASHER using the false shoulder method and had 100% success rate. I had been buying Alpha brass with 300 pieces of Lapua 6BR sitting in a box (who knew?). Just need to complete the process with a full charge and see how well they perform.

Reactions: spife7980