• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6 Dasher fireforming loads

Bronco

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2006
Kansas
Needed to get some brass fireformed for the Dasher so loaded up 200 rounds of Virgin Lapua 6 BR with 30.5 gr. of RL 15 and 87 gr. V-Max which netted 2900 fps. Bullets were jammed in the lands to aid in the fireforming process.
Nice windless evening, which is rare for Kansas. Second pic is full IPSC with 6 rounds in the head @ 600 yd. First pic is @ 700 yd. with 15 rounds on it. Started getting dark and couldn't see hits, could hear them so finished up the box of 50. For a little 87 gr. pill with a BC of 400 I was amazed how consistent they were. Powder charges weren't weighed just dropped from a Harrels.

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

Re: 6 Dasher fireforming loads

Bronco,

Nice shooting. List some specs of the rifle if you get a chance or even a pic. Are you gonna make it to the next tact rifle match in Hutchinson? Hope to shoot with you guys there again.

Take care

Thanks Seven mm,
Rifle is capable of .3 groups with 105 A-Max, only reason I posted these was it surprised me what the 87 gr. V-max can do. When fireforming you can feel the shoulder push forward, something akin to shooting a blackpowder rifle, bit of a hesitation from primer ignition to bullet getting started down the tube.
Rifle is an old PSS 308 with badger dbm that I had trued and rebarreled to 6 Dasher. 24" barrel is a Krieger 1 in 7.8 twist, topped with a 3.2-17X44 USO. Usually run a AAC 762 suppessor.
Come on down to Hutch, I want another shot at ya.

Keith

Try the false shoulder method on the neck, 107SMK's and Varget. You'll be just as surprised as to the accuracy.

When you get the brass blown out try 33.0 grains of Varget with CCIBR4's and Berger 105's +.010" in.

Thanks William,
I'm using the false shoulder plus jamming bullet in the lands. Haven't had one not go off yet. I've tried the 107 SMK and it was 4th place behind 105 A-Max, Berger 108, and Nosler 105 CC. Using 33.0 gr. of 8208 with Wolf SR-mag primer, SD's are 5 to 7 yielding 3000 fps. 105 Lapua shot horrible at 100 yd. but shined out at 500 yd. Berger's "new" 105 doesn't have the BC of the previous bullet, but they shoot fine.

That load in my Dasher is pushing the 105VLD @ 3,050fps and stacks 10 shots in a dime sized group at 330 yards. Single digit #'s ES/SD

Feeds fine out of AI mags, had to file on the ejector a bit, added .035 of extension so as to kick them out a bit better.

Bronco,
If I was you, I would just give up on the Dasher, I do not know why any body would shoot one.
grin.gif

From the guy who talked me into it no less. You'd think I could find better friends. Taking it down to the Heat Stroke shoot next weekend, if the nut behind the trigger will just perform.