• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition 6 dasher for 1000 yrd?

Distance shooter

Minuteman
Oct 13, 2009
California
I know the 6 dasher is a good long range cartrige and has held the 1000 yard NBRSA record at one time, but has anyone used the 6 dasher for 1000 yard open f-class? Thanks in advance for any input.

Re: 6 dasher for 1000 yrd?

I haven't heard of anyone shooting it, but if you've got one use it.

If you are thinking of a new build the short 7's seem to be the hot ticket in F-Open these days.

There are quite a few that use them at 1000 with good results. Under the right conditions they can be tuff to beat. When the conditions start to get nasty, Most of the people using the dasher switch to something with more bite.

Thanks for the feedback. I plan on using the 6dasher and have a 6.5x284 barrel to switch to for windier days, but I wanted to primarily use the dasher .

There are quite a few Dashers here in NorCal shooting mid and long range F-Open.

I just jumped on the bandwagon after watching them outscore others the last couple of years.

But, if I shot in 15mph winds <span style="font-style: italic">all the time</span> a 7SAUM would be in front of me at 1K.

Sir,
I was debating between the 7saum, 284 or 284 shehane for a future build for 1000yrd f-class. I shoot at a local 1000 yard match for fun, but have not shot at an official F-class match, but would like to try it. Of the 3 calibers mentioned above, which is used most in the f-open class and does one have an advantage over the other? Thanks in advance for any input.

I have the straight 284 and its a hammer!! I shoot the 162 AMAXs and have been very pleased with it. I built it to shoot tactical matches. Great BC, good barrel life and very accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sir,
I was debating between the 7saum, 284 or 284 shehane for a future build for 1000yrd f-class. I shoot at a local 1000 yard match for fun, but have not shot at an official F-class match, but would like to try it. Of the 3 calibers mentioned above, which is used most in the f-open class and does one have an advantage over the other? Thanks in advance for any input. </div></div>

Built right any of them can be accurate, of those three at 1000 in F class the RSAUM on a long action will be able to push the heavy bullets faster, heavy + faster = less windage = less likely to drop points. In a 22lb rifle reciol isn't much of an issue between them.

The 1MOA 10-ring in F class can be humbling. It doesn't take much wind to drop a point.

Local smith here Tim Thompson runs a 6 Dasher for F-open last couple of times i've talked to him he's shot it for 1000yds and 600yds. Seems he's been neglecting the .284. But he's gotten good results.

Usually shoot F-TR with .308 or .223, tried the Dasher once at 600 and scored better than with the TR rifles. Could have been conditions, but don't think so. Shot both off bi-pod.

I attended my first F-class competition this week just observing as Im just getting started into this sport. There was a guy that was shooting a 6mm Dasher and was doing well with it at this 600 yard F-Class match. He said he really likes the cartridge but primarly shoots 600 to 1000 yard Benchrest. From my research (once again Newbie here to comp shooting and Long range shooting) I've heard the 6mms do well (6br and the Dasher) if wind conditions are good so I would say its cabable but may not be the best choice especially against some of the 7mms and 6.5s that really buck the wind at that range. Hope this helps some.

Desertshooter, The 6mmDasher holds many 1000yd records and is a very tough round to beat, not saying that it is the only one. I have one built for the 1000yd benchrest, and have shot it in F-Class open with darn good results and so has my 15yr old son. He shot in a few 600yd matches and did bring some wood home with it.Not trying or meaning to brag on it, just stating the facts. He shot 5 rd groups under 2" and 3 of the 5 were touching each other. I have shot under 5" at 1000yds with it. The wind is tough on it compared to a bigger diameter bullet with a higher BC. But it is not that bad. We shoot the Berger 105's and I have a friend that makes me some 105's in a double radius that flat shoots also. And when this barrel shoots it's last round I will chamber again in the 6mmDasher. I also have a .284 Shehane that shoots well. It's only at most 150 fps faster than the .284win. Cost is more due to custom dies and 7mm bullets over the 6mm bullets. But I would do it again. Hope this helps...

I am not sure about 1000yd matches but at the 600yd matches I shoot at there is more showing up at each match.I have a few friends that shoot them with and are usually placing in the top 10 at each match.I shoot a 6BRX which is basically about the same work when getting brass ready and loaded.

I'm having a 6BRX built: very similar to the dasher. I think a lot depends on what part of the country you live in, and how much money you want to spend. When it gets windy, like it does out West all the time, there is no question the 7mm short magnums rule the roost. Of course, they also have a ridiculously short barrel life (how does 700 rounds sound?) and recoil more along the lines of a 308WIN. My wife and kids shoot with me and the 6BRX seemed like a great choice for us. On a day when the wind is not crazy, the dash/BRX will be just as good, if not better, than the short magnums (less recoil, amazing accuracy). Plus, I expect more like 2,000-3,000 rounds out of the barrel.

Here are my two cents about the 6 Dasher and other 6mm's built off of the 6 BR case.

Given its inherent accuracy I think the Dasher is has unbeatable accuracy for F-class at 300 yards. Still unbeatable at 600 unless the wind is rockin'. Hard to beat at 1,000 yards on a calm day. The Berger 105 Hybrid seems to be running extremely accurate and has a BC very close to the 115 DTACs and this may help grow the legs a little bit of the Dasher, I hope so as I have 1,000 of the 105's on the shelf and a Brux 1-7.75" blank on the shelf for them.

I have a choice of 6 Dasher, 6.5 x 47 L, and 6.5 x 55 AI in my open F-class guns and I will choose among these depending upon the wind and conditions.

wade

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...7mm short magnums ... Of course, they also have a ridiculously short barrel life (how does 700 rounds sound?) and recoil more along the lines of a 308WIN. </div></div>

Just a data point here that I will toss out there for the 7RSAUM, I don't own one, don't plan to, just a data point. Talking with Danny Biggs in the pits one afternoon about barrel life in his 7RSAUM, he told me that the barrel that he shot 200-15X (F-Open record) twice in one weekend had 1500 rounds through it. Now it may have started flaking the lands off at 1600 for all I know, but based on that I'd say that someone getting 700 rounds may have had a bad barrel.