• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6 GT-Varget & StaBall, 109 Berger

Rumlover

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2013
DC
All,
Got a new 6GT barrel in from Patriot Valley Friday and thought I'd share some initial tests:
Stats:
Curtis Vector Action
26" 1/7.5 Twist
Fat Bastard Break
Barrel tuner (forget the name, I haven't done testing with the tuner yet--not sure I need to with the load I stumbled upon)
All shots were 109 Berger Long Range Hybrid Target with virgin Hornady brass

Varget: Overall, I couldn't get the velocities I wanted. Ladder test from 32.0-33.4. I started running into ejector swipes at 32.8 running 2851fps. High node was at 32.6 @ 2798. 3, 5 shot groups averaged 1/2" at 100m.

StaBall: Due to little data on staball in this caliber and with this pill, I started the ladder at 37.0 (2848fps) and went up to 40.8 (3061fps) where I finally got ejector swipes. The high node was wide at 40.2-40.8. I settled in on 40.6 running 3021fps. Over 15 rounds, the ES was 18 and SD of 6.4. Admittedly, I slapped the trigger on 3 of those 15 rounds, opening the group up to 1/2". Without those 3, it was one ragged 3/8" hole.

Going to test the same load with Alpha brass this week while playing with the tuner. Alpha is a little thicker than Hornady, so I'll probably back off 0.2 grains before trying 40.6.

As for seating length....I didn't have a modified case to measure. I did it the old fashioned way and just tested different seating depths until the bolt easily closed at 2.618". I tested 2.600" down to 2.555" and settled in on 2.575" OAL due to lowest ES and best group.

Anyway, really happy the results. I thought it would take longer to find a good load. Hope that helps someone headed down the same path.

Cheers,
Rumlover (when I can find brass)

Ever think of running BL-C2

I haven't ever used BL-C2, so I'm not familiar with where it would fall amongst the recommended powders. I probably won't try any other powders at this point on this barrel since I have plenty of components delivering results.

What are loads with BLC-2 doing?
Might be good to know with the current state of finding powder.

VV n140 might be a good choice a s well. I have always liked their powder line. Buy it correctly and its no more expensive than every other powder

FYI, the alpha brass will show ejectors marks sooner but it’s not pressure. It will stop after a couple of firings. StaBall seems to shoot dirt for many so be on the look out for a carbon ring if you continue shooting it.

All,
Got a new 6GT barrel in from Patriot Valley Friday and thought I'd share some initial tests:
Stats:
Curtis Vector Action
26" 1/7.5 Twist
Fat Bastard Break
Barrel tuner (forget the name, I haven't done testing with the tuner yet--not sure I need to with the load I stumbled upon)
All shots were 109 Berger Long Range Hybrid Target with virgin Hornady brass

Varget: Overall, I couldn't get the velocities I wanted. Ladder test from 32.0-33.4. I started running into ejector swipes at 32.8 running 2851fps. High node was at 32.6 @ 2798. 3, 5 shot groups averaged 1/2" at 100m.

Seems low for varget. It has a similar case capacity to a 6x47 and I've been able to get 3000-3100 on all of my barrels with 105s.