• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6 XC Heavy Bench gun

95LTZ

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2003
Ft. Pierce, Fl
While Bench Rest shooting is not the main topic here I wanted to pass on the story of my newest rifle. It started as a 7 WSM Heavy Bench gun 1.450 straight barrel. Green & Black McMillan MBR Tooley stock. The stock was ordered about 6 years ago with lead shot molded in. While the 7 WSM shot well, I was really never really excited about the rifle. I got the idea some time ago to built a 6 XC Bench gun. I had a 7.5 twist Kreiger Hvy barrel in 6mm just waiting for a project and this seemed like the right time to do it. Now who was I going to have build it. After hearing & seeing the accurate rifles that come out of Gradous Rifles. I called Robert Gradous & was happy that he agreed to build my rifle. I was most impressed with the attention to detail that Robert surrounds himself with. From the surgically clean shop to the tools.
When the rifle was finished I was pretty pumped to shoot it. With almost no load development the rifle showed real promise. At the 100 yard range on the grounds of Gradous Rifles I was only shooting three shot groups looking for a load. The rifle managed little tiny knots with a variety of powders. I took 4 of the best loads to the Gun Club range. I decided to pick the best of 4 loads. These were 5 shot groups @ 300 yards. The group sizes ran from a best of .750 to 1.250". For me this is very good. Last Saturday I was able to fire a few groups @ 980 yards. The last 5 shot group had 1.5" horizontal & 5.0" vertical.
I am really looking forward to this Saturday. Weather permitting I will be able to shoot in a 980 yard Match. Once again I would like to thank Gradous Rifles for putting together an extremely accurate rifle for me. Robert was very kind to take the time to answer all my questions during & after the build. I would highly recommend Gradous Rifles for any type of rifle build.
Semper Fi

Re: 6 XC Heavy Bench gun

That rifle has a good shooter behind it as well!!!

Like to see some pics Jim!!

I'm scheduled to do the gunsmith class with Robert as soon as my stock shows up. Very excited to say the least

Congrats on the build!!

Joe

Hopefully I'll get some pics up later today after I get my chores done.

1.45 barrel on the 7mm.....
sick.gif

would love to see more.

Gre-Tan changed the bolt face from a WSM bolt face down to the standard .308 bolt face. Then Robert Gradous worked his Magic.
DSCF0725.jpg
DSCF0726.jpg
DSCF0727.jpg
DSCF0728.jpg

Very nice, BTW what scope is that kinda hard to tell from the pics.

Still drawn to the BR game. There's just something about the big heavy rifles and inherent lack of recoil.

Cool rifle.

Thanks for the kind words. The rifle ready to shoot weighs 33.4 lbs. With the 6 XC it only slides back in the bags about 2 inches. A real pleasure to shoot.

Nice rig!!Question,is the weight of 33.4 lbs mostly due to the barrel??Just wondering,it is very nice tho...Goodshootin'

~Reagan

At 33.4 pounds it must have lead in the stock.
I am building a LR BR rifle with rblpre to replace the R700 action I currently run.
I have a Stiller P1000 ordered and a Bartlien 6mm 1 in 8 blank handy. I also have 6.5x47 Lapua brass and a 6-6.5x47L no turn reamer, dies, etc. I had intended on chambering for that round but now considering either 6BRX or 6XC.
What made you decide on the XC?

The stock is probably 8 years old & at the time I got the maximum lead that they could put in the stock. I have never seen recoil make anybody shoot better so I am just fine with the weight. I have owned many many different calibers over the years and the 6XC is the most accurate rifle/caliber that I have ever owned bar none. I have a Tubb SpecTacLr in 6 XC that I have fired more 5 shot groups under 3.5" than any other rifle I have ever owned. Components are easy to come by the brass lasts forever. I have never had the need to push the velocity while looking for a load. The 115 DTAC bullets do a really good job in the wind. Load development is very easy. If somewhere between 37.5 - 39.5 grs. of H4350 with a 115 DTAC won't shoot tiny groups you have a gun problem. There are many different reamers out, some better than others. Robert Gradous has one of the best/proven reamers that I know of. If you want to get fancy you can turn the necks & do all the other Bench Rest brass prep but so far I have just used new brass & the groups have been very good. Tomorrow I will shoot some cases that I have done the full prep to. I will post the results late tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 95LTZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a 10-60x52 March w/fine crosshair.
Thanks </div></div>

Should have known it was a March since they have been pretty popular in bechrest class.

Are you going to shoot at piedmont gun club 2nd Saturday in March?It is just 600yd though.

I hadn't planned on Piedmont but a few folks around have mentioned it. We'll have to see what happens.

Today we had our first 980 yard Match. This was our first match so we kept it down to (2) 5 shot strings of fire so as not to tweak the neighbors too hard for the first match. We had 26 shooters that had fun today. I was on the 3rd relay. I'm not sure how fast the wind was but several shooter's were far right on their neighbors target. I was fortunate enough to score a 42 out of 50 the first 5 shots. The group was 12 3/16ths inches. Yup, one flyer straight up at 12 o,clock. The next time up to bat I managed a 47/50 with 1x. The group size was 7.125". I was able to grab high score & small group in the Heavy Bench Class with a 89/100 1x & 7.125" 5 shot group. Not bad for it's first match. Thank you Robert Gradous for such a well mannered & accurate rifle.
Semper Fi

I have used everything from a 20 year old Bald Eagle rest, SEB rest, JJ Loh & Randolph Tool rest. I have sold off all the others & am super happy with the Randolph Tool. Really good folks to work with. If I couldn't use the Randolph I would go with the JJ Loh rest. The Randolph has some really nice features that are shear Genius.

How do you like that stock, Im building a 6BRX and cant make up my mind between the Tooley or the Shehane ST1000F.

The stock rides the bags pretty well I think. Lots of folks really like the laminated stocks. I have one & really like it. Many guys have said that the laminated stocks from Ray Bowman-Precision Rifle & Tool in Mebane, NC track very , very well. I would say six of one half a dozen of the other. Buy the one that you like the best. I personally don't think you give up anything with either fiberglass or laminated wood. I think that Ray has a laminated version of the Tooley MBR which would give you the best of both worlds. The other thing to consider is lead time. I'm pretty sure that Ray will be able to beat McMillan's lead time by quite a bit.
Semper Fi

Well done, Beautiful rifle and congradulation on winning the match, High Score and Best Group. Way to go.

Semper Fi!

You are batting a 1000.Retire and retire the gun and tell them you like to end on a good note!Congrats on the win.That thing is working extremely well.

I like the Benchrest rigs too. I hope you shoot well with it.