• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6 year old hits target at over 1000 yards !

I'm all for young folks shooting anything (withing reason to handle), but without proper eye and ear protection your rolling the dice!

100% agree, that is why I posted more info before he shoots, did you read it all?

Last edited:
That is awesome I let my son shoot my 6.5 SLR last year and he hit 2 for 3 at 980. My friend that I was shooting with could not believe it

Reactions: skinney_7
I love it. My son, who kind of liked shooting, went to the range with me and his cousins one time when they were about ten. The rest of us are all over the top about shooting. Anyhow he shoots a sub 5/8" 5-shot group with my braked .300 WM. Double ear protection with that thing. But, the brake takes so much of the recoil out, you can literally handle it with your thumb for recoil. Later he gonged steel @ 800, but wasn't impressed with it too much after he did it. he thinks anybody could do it if they had the right rifle....

100% agree, that is why I posted more info before he shoots, did you read it all?

I may have missed that. I fully support you getting kids involved in shooting. Just be careful posting this stuff. Being a paranoid father who lived through raising kids in the "family court system", this stuff can be used against you if things go south on the relationship side of things. Perception is reality and it could be used against you. I look forward to getting a notification when he ends up out shooting you!

Fun video! Part of me wishes my kids were still young, grown up, all 3 don't live local to us anymore. My 25 year old's B-day today.

Shortly after I got into long range, about 11 years ago, my oldest boy went shooting with me, something he rarely did, and had never shot long range before.

A group of hunters showed up wanting to use a spot down range from us, (the local go-to). But we were at the spot which was 1000Y from the 2/3's IPSC steel where one drives into the range. I told them, yeah we're almost done here so we'll take a few shots then go pick up our steel. The guy driving yells over, "mind if we watch", I said sure, so they got out their spotting scopes and binocs.

Waiting a few minutes, my Son gets down prone off the bipod, with elevation and wind dialed for him on my scope, and using my Surgeon 30-375R/240's/2900 fps, son shoots and hits the steel right in the forehead which knocks the whole target over, lol!!!

Those hunters kind of freaked out and cheered at the same time! You see they had come to check zero on their rifles at 200Y. I'm guessing none of them had ever seen a shot like that so far away, nor contemplated such, by the way they were acting. They must have thought my son was aiming at the head, as well as the target wasn't erected properly, so it fell, lol, doubling the fun factor. Probably thought he was hot shit too, lol. We didn't want to spoil the moment so nothing more was said, lol.

Love those kids, the years go by quick. Looks like you are doing a great job so good on you.

My son turns 4 in April. I cant wait till he's at a point when I can start taking him out with my dad and I. How old was your son when you first took him?

My son turns 4 in April. I cant wait till he's at a point when I can start taking him out with my dad and I. How old was your son when you first took him?
From the very beginning buddy, he was in the stroller watching us shoot since he was born basically... He was 4 when I actually got him behind the rifle... I've added a whole new playlist to my YouTube channel debuting what we have done over the past 6 years with him and some of the drills we have him do starting at 110yards, if you haven't be sure and subscribe, it'll be some great content for youngsters.

From the very beginning buddy, he was in the stroller watching us shoot since he was born basically... He was 4 when I actually got him behind the rifle... I've added a whole new playlist to my YouTube channel debuting what we have done over the past 6 years with him and some of the drills we have him do starting at 110yards, if you haven't be sure and subscribe, it'll be some great content for youngsters.
Saw the videos, and I'm goin' "Damn!...that kid works the bolt better than I do.;)

Nice! I bought him a bolt action nerf gun when he turned 2 to train him on. At the last pumpkin patch he hit the golf ball twice in a row with a nerf pistol. When he is ready my first 22 bolt gun that I've had for 37 years now will become his first rifle.
I get emotional when thinking about getting my son out there and passing on the hobby while my dad (who has been dealing with cancer for 2 1/2 yrs now) is still around to be a part of it.

It's great to see kids that want to shoot.
I've been donating some of my little rifles to friends children after my family has outgrown them.
We just bought a crickett precision for a friends 4 yr old son, as he wants to shoot a rifle like his dads.
That thing is awesome topped with a decent scope.
When their older, we get them into reloading.
It's fun to see them bang steel at long ranges, but it's even better when they do it with ammo they've reloaded.
We have a winchester gallery .22 that's been in the family 5 generations.
Pretty soon it's going to be six generations and I hope I'm still around to teach the youngster before they ban the use of firearms in NY state !

SJC

You're doing it right. You'll have critics but to hell with em. My old man started me on magnum turn bolts when I was about your son's age. Those experiences motivated me in school, gave me a solid foundation in math, and got me where I am today professionally. It looks like little man is ready for his own 6.5 and some algebra :)