• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6 yr old

brickbd

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2009
Twin Cities, Mn
Hey all,

My six year old is getting nosey about daddy's firearms. So who am I to deny him to excitement and joy of the sound of a .308 at of smashing into a coyote at 50 yards. But I know, baby steps first...... <span style="text-decoration: underline">In your opinion, what is the best startiong .22 for him to learn and a good scope to throw on it AFTER he has had a little time playing with the irons? </span>

I have a ttwo S&W 15-22's but thats just not the same! Its fun to plug squirrels but I want to get him something he will enjoy for a while and learn on. I did not start shooting untul I was 21 so I would definitely like to add this to our father-son time.

-ME

Re: 6 yr old

I started on my great grandpas Remington model 12 pump. Sweet gun that my dad gave me since he never shoots it. After the pump I was using a 10/22 and really sent the lead down range, which didn't teach me anything other than it was really fun to shoot fast.

I'd recommend a bolt gun like a Savage or maybe even a CZ with a 4x scope.

At least that's the path I'll probably go when my kid gets old enough.

I started my boy with a Crickett. He is 4 though. I am a firm believer that starting with a single shot teaches a young shooter to make the shot a little more.

My vote goes for a Savage MkII youth rifle. Or for a little more, a CZ 452 Scout.

Probably not the most popular answer but a Thompson/Center Contender in .22lr can be found used for a very reasonable price. Once he is old enough to move up to a centerfire you just swap the barrel.

I started mine with a lightweight 10/22 build (cut down factory stock, tacsol barrel, 4x scope) and a bipod up front.

Both of my oldest (11 and almost 8) have since graduated to my Savage Mk II BTV. And they each shoot the FAL and 1911 on occasion. The youngest isn't quite 1 yet, so she's got a few years to wait...

Have a 12yo cousin we took shooting (12 being the minimum age you're allowed to shoot here). He's a small kid for a 12yo, but found that my old Miroku ML-22 was easy to shoot.

it's small, light, easy to use, and great fun. I believe they're sold as Browning BL-22's now, so mine is the cheap-ass version from a while ago.

Maybe take him to the local gun store and see if there's anything he likes? I don't have kids of my own, but i assume it'd be a much more rewarding experience if your son picked out his very first gun!

I started both my Daughters on a Ruger 10-22 with a Bushnell Holosight for optics . I bought a standard 10-22 and then found a youth stock on Fleabay for 15 or 20 bucks . Did a down and dirty 3.5 pound trigger on it and added a factory second boyds barrel . It was plenty accurate to hit clay pigeons and balloons and easy enough for them to manipulate and aim that they enjoyed shooting it . As they got older I changed stuff out on it so that it would continue to fit them and their abilities . My whole goal wasn't to teach them perfect form and mechanics but to make it fun so they would want to go back . As they have gotten older we have refined their skills while still keeping it fun .

7454DSC05834.JPG

My Youngest Daughter still loves to shoot and has her own fully customized 10-22 now .

KK_10-22_1_.JPG

I started out with the Chipmunk 22 at age 4-5. My dad always had the Ruger 10 22 that I shot (and still love) but I was given a Marlin 22 for my birthday when I was 7 or 8 years old. I still use it to shoot prairie dogs on occassion.

I guess all that to say, my daughter will start out on a 30 year old Chipmunk 22 and will work her way up from there.

I trained my first one on a cricket also. Whatever you choose I think the BEST trainer for little ones needs to be the following:

Single Shot
Irons or large low power sight
Short stock or adj LOP
Light weight
Silenced if possible (great excuse for the wife's approval SHHH)

Little ones have a hard time with scopes due to eye relief issues. You want them focused on real basics of safety and use. Hitting the target is a bonus when you start out.

My first little one is a teen now, and I have no issues with his gun handling skills due to his early training. I'm starting on my next one now, and the cricket is MIA. When he is shooting a S&W MP15-22 the adjustable stock is great but he has trouble with scope. One good thing about repeater is you start them off with follow through and reset, and behind safety that is a top foundational issue to learn. I think the cricket was a much better experience for the first timer. We also use a Remington No 6, but the trigger pull is too hard for kids and stock too long.

I will be incorporating the silencer co sparrow full time once the uncle sam says I can. I think that will be big plus. We have tested this with a handgun, and it helped with recoil and communications. The noise is a hindrance to learning in my opinion. Ear muffs don't fit little ones very well either.

consider
Savage_w.jpg

DESCRIPTION PRICE
Savage Mark I-FVT, Bolt action, single shot, 5.25 lbs weight $227
Savage Mark II-FVT, 5 rounds, detachable magazine, 6 lbs weight. $231

url]